New MG4 Shipment?

It seems likely that cars already in the UK are being delayed to get the oil leak remedied. So it's difficult to judge what the flow should/would/will be. I suspect we'll see something more like normal throughput in a couple of weeks.

What my dealer said is that they'll receive my car today, after which it will:
  • Be PDI'ed
  • Have its updates done (I presume software)
  • "check for oil leak"
Alas the service department doesn't work the weekends, so pending all above goes smoothly, I'd be able to get the car early/mid next week?

Interesting thought, I'd probably agree - if it wasn't for the fact I ordered an orange trophy back in August with still no sign of it....
That’s mad. I ordered a grey at the beginning of September and I’m still waiting. I was told if I wanted orange I could have it this week.

Do MG have an ordering system or is it just a lottery? This is my first experience of MG and not impressed so far.

That’s mad. I ordered a grey at the beginning of September and I’m still waiting. I was told if I wanted orange I could have it this week.

Do MG have an ordering system or is it just a lottery? This is my first experience of MG and not impressed so far.
Both. Dealers can order but it is a lottery which of the colour/spec combinations on each boat get assigned to them when the boat arrives. At least, that's what it seems from what people have said. Generally, once they come off the boat, they know if you are getting your car and then it is quite quick.

Edit: agreed that it is bonkers. You should know when your car is put on the boat!

Both. Dealers can order but it is a lottery which of the colour/spec combinations on each boat get assigned to them when the boat arrives. At least, that's what it seems from what people have said. Generally, once they come off the boat, they know if you are getting your car and then it is quite quick.

My guess is this is probably not just limited to MG, but more the current state of the union for new car fulfillment with such massive disparity between supply (-chain, thank you Covid, silicon fires, and invasion of Ukraine) and demand.

FWIW Frasers of Falkirk posted a vid on YouTube of a Camden Grey Trophy that they have. No idea if it's already assigned though. (And I appreciate that they're not exactly local to you) ;)

Which is why I ordered what was coming in (per the dealer's schedule) rather than a specifc combination. (Was originally going to go with SE SR in White but none of those were free/available, so I chose Camden Grey ... which was actually my first choice before SWMBO stuck her oar in ;) so I did in fact get what I wanted).

Well - I will, when it eventually arrives with the dealer. 🙄

It seems likely that cars already in the UK are being delayed to get the oil leak remedied. So it's difficult to judge what the flow should/would/will be. I suspect we'll see something more like normal throughput in a couple of weeks.
Note that I didn't ask "What is the update?" :sneaky:

Which is why I ordered what was coming in (per the dealer's schedule) rather than a specifc combination. (Was originally going to go with SE SR in White but none of those were free/available, so I chose Camden Grey ... which was actually my first choice before SWMBO stuck her oar in ;) so I did in fact get what I wanted).

Well - I will, when it eventually arrives with the dealer. 🙄
That’s interesting. I asked my dealer when I was going ahead whether it made a difference what colour I want in relation to how long I’d have to wait. He said no, they’re all on the same 8 week lead time (SE SR that is).

So can only assume that my dealer didn’t have any cars coming in and are just ordering as and when the customer orders come in. I guess all the dealers must vary in what they have or haven’t ordered…

What my dealer said is that they'll receive my car today, after which it will:
  • Be PDI'ed
  • Have its updates done (I presume software)
  • "check for oil leak"
Alas the service department doesn't work the weekends, so pending all above goes smoothly, I'd be able to get the car early/mid next week?
Mine was due in 26th booked next week off work need to organise train and hotel to pick up, wed no show,Thursday no show, phoned dealer car coming in tomorrow he will ring me still no phone call 🤬

Mine was due in 26th booked next week off work need to organise train and hotel to pick up wed no show,Thursday no show, phoned dealer car coming in tomorrow he will ring me still no phone call 🤬
THIS is why I am committed to waiting an inordinate amount of time for my MG4. I MAY be able to source one outside my locale, but if, as @DON is finding out, the dealer network is so unreliable I'm going to stay on my local dealer's books - and just grow old waiting.......

As I've mentioned previously, I think dealers are looking at what they've got coming in and are confusing the dates shown as being dates to them, whereas I suspect that they're the dock dates for the boats bringing the cars to the UK. So actual availability will be a couple of weeks later.

Our experience has been a bit up and down, ordered MG4 Trophy in red at the end of Sept and given an ETA of end of Dec22. Fine.
Then got a phone call about ten days later saying it would be hère thé following week! Much excitement was had, sorted finances etc. Sold car and then the following week arrived and we heard nothing, so we got in touch and they were really non-commital about saying that it would now be delivered 25Nov, over a month later. A bit miffed, but fine, we will just have to work to that!

Then got a phone call today saying that it’s here and we can collect on Monday!!! Very confusing!
Will believe it when I see it!!

Our experience has been a bit up and down, ordered MG4 Trophy in red at the end of Sept and given an ETA of end of Dec22. Fine.
Then got a phone call about ten days later saying it would be hère thé following week! Much excitement was had, sorted finances etc. Sold car and then the following week arrived and we heard nothing, so we got in touch and they were really non-commital about saying that it would now be delivered 25Nov, over a month later. A bit miffed, but fine, we will just have to work to that!

Then got a phone call today saying that it’s here and we can collect on Monday!!! Very confusing!
Will believe it when I see it!!
Look forward to seeing some more photos of a red Trophy, fingers crossed for you for Monday.

As I've mentioned previously, I think dealers are looking at what they've got coming in and are confusing the dates shown as being dates to them, whereas I suspect that they're the dock dates for the boats bringing the cars to the UK. So actual availability will be a couple of weeks later.
Yep - mine did pretty much exactly that. Their spreadsheet suggested the car arrived in dock on the 7th but haven't heard any news since then.

Yep - mine did pretty much exactly that. Their spreadsheet suggested the car arrived in dock on the 7th but haven't heard any news since then.
Yep same hear my dealer has heard nothing either would be nice to no if its true they are holding cars back or not

Look forward to seeing some more photos of a red Trophy, fingers crossed for you for Monday.
Just got mine today.......lovely car to drive, brings a smile back on your face!!!
FC2A6C52-63DD-411B-85D5-6B4E82B4E767_1_201_a.jpeg

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel