Non-Tesla EV Charging

Loveclose

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hello again to everyone!
I'm researching charging points for a trip to Harrogate next week.
There's a Tesla charging station at Banbury which could come in useful, particularly on the return journey. An internet thread states that this Banbury charging station is one of the fifteen open to all EV users.
There is a Tesla charging station at Harrogate, but I don't think it's open to all EVs.

However - I've investigated how non-Tesla EV charging works - have installed the Tesla App - and the next instruction states that I should see the 'Charge your non-tesla' icon. That's where it goes wrong, and I've clearly missed something.
I've set up an account - I haven't yet set up a payment card for payment authorisation.
All I'm seeing is the 'Charge Your EV' on the top third of the screen.

There are plenty of other stations I can utilise, but I'd like to see if I can get on the Tesla charging site at some point.....and next week is a definite chance!!!

Any advise welcome - thank you.

Harrogate is an open to all so you can charge there as well.

Also the new one at the Mour Hotel at J27 on the M1 is open to all but the app doesn't show it yet.

When I open the app and click on find a charger it opens a map that shows all open to all chargers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-04-12-22-21-26-703_com.brave.browser.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-12-22-21-26-703_com.brave.browser.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 62
I'm wondering if I have the wrong app!

I'm not seeing any of that......

Thank you for your help over confirming the Harrogate Telsla charging station.

Just need to get access to it via the app.....

I'm wondering if I have the wrong app!

I'm not seeing any of that......

Thank you for your help over confirming the Harrogate Telsla charging station.

Just need to get access to it via the app.....
The app used to say 'Charge your non Tesla' but that's been changed to 'Charge your EV'. Press that and you'll see the map and search bar which will show the chargers open to non Teslas.

The app used to say 'Charge your non Tesla' but that's been changed to 'Charge your EV'. Press that and you'll see the map and search bar which will show the chargers open to non Teslas.
Thank you; this is most helpful.
I am seeing the Charge Your Ev bit.
Mail and search bar visible.
Are all the chargers visible in the app open to non-Teslas? I'm not seeing any info that directly says that the charging station selected is open to non Teslas.

Thank you; this is most helpful.
I am seeing the Charge Your Ev bit.
Mail and search bar visible.
Are all the chargers visible in the app open to non-Teslas? I'm not seeing any info that directly says that the charging station selected is open to non Teslas.
I'm pretty sure they are. The couple I have used from there were. You can always check by selecting a charge station in the app. When it opens you'll see details including the cost at different times of the day. Directly beneath that it says Pay Less With Membership which wouldn't be there if it was Tesla only.

I'm pretty sure they are. The couple I have used from there were. You can always check by selecting a charge station in the app. When it opens you'll see details including the cost at different times of the day. Directly beneath that it says Pay Less With Membership which wouldn't be there if it was Tesla only.
That's what I'm seeing - thank you once again. All helps in the planning for my second long range trip - which is a bit longer than my first long range trip!!

I haven't done anything other than set up an account. No Tesla to register here!

Haven't registered a card payment method yet either......

Looks like the info I was getting off the Internet was related to the earlier app version, not the current one; hence the reasonn why I wasn't seeing what I thought I should be.

In its current state, I can't see that the app is over intuitive for non-Tesla owners!!!! But then maybe I shouldn't expect it to be...

I used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. My test was open it and see which chargers it shows. I know there are local stations that aren't open to non-teslas. They weren't showing on the map. I tried 2 that were ( Lifton & Merry Hill ) and they worked - all very intuitive ( and fast 😉👍...and cheap, bless lil Elon )

Although I registered payment card as part of set up, so maybe that helped 🤷

Looks like they've opened lots more up in the last few weeks 😁👍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240413-094653.png
    Screenshot_20240413-094653.png
    468.1 KB · Views: 58
I have used the Tesla Harrogate charger a few times now it is located in a Garden Centre car park so you have access to a cafe and toilets if you arrive when the garden centre is open.

Have attached pics from my iPhone (Android might be different) of the App icon, Find a Charger button and the map showing open to all Tesla chargers as of 13/4/24

Attachments

• IMG_6043.jpg
    IMG_6043.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6042.jpg
    IMG_6042.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6040.jpg
    IMG_6040.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 39
I have used the Tesla Harrogate charger a few times now it is located in a Garden Centre car park so you have access to a cafe and toilets if you arrive when the garden centre is open.

Have attached pics from my iPhone (Android might be different) of the App icon, Find a Charger button and the map showing open to all Tesla chargers as of 13/4/24
Thank you....
I've seen every screen that you've included in all your screenshot, with the only bit I haven't seen being the one that states the fact that the station is open to all non-Tesla owners.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back