Octopus Go Referral Link

Welcome. I would say get the smart meter asap from your current supplier then swap to Octopus when upgraded.
You don't have to take gas from Octopus.
I used a granny for about a month before getting a wall charger. Just make sure you have as short as possible lead to it from a new socket and just monitor the plug to make sure it's not getting hot, warm is fine.
I used the same line 'every little helps' 😂

Welcome. I would say get the smart meter asap from your current supplier then swap to Octopus when upgraded.
You don't have to take gas from Octopus.
I used a granny for about a month before getting a wall charger. Just make sure you have as short as possible lead to it from a new socket and just monitor the plug to make sure it's not getting hot, warm is fine.
thanks thats interesting. im currently with British Gas. out of interest why do you suggest to get current supplier to fit the smart meter, are Octopus a bit slow fitting them?

i was worried that BG had a tendency to fit SMETS1 / not very useful smart meters hence why i havent gone down that route so far, but more than happy to be wrong! ;-)

I was with British gas in Liverpool, it only took a few weeks to get a new meter installed and switch. I hear though it is all depending on where you live and how many engineers are available. But for me it was very easy and quick. Also never had any issues with bills.

I was with Bulb and I asked if they used Smets2 which they did so had them done in under 2 weeks at the same time I made the switch so was with Octopus just after having the meters changed😜
Then I was able to go straight onto the Go tariff.

thanks thats interesting. im currently with British Gas. out of interest why do you suggest to get current supplier to fit the smart meter, are Octopus a bit slow fitting them?

i was worried that BG had a tendency to fit SMETS1 / not very useful smart meters hence why i havent gone down that route so far, but more than happy to be wrong! ;-)
I've had a 1st generation fitted from British Gas before but getting a 2nd generation fitted by them later this month - I'm tied to them until next year so moving onto their EV tariff - it's not massively more than Octopus Go, certainly less than the early exit fees

I’m the same. Moved from British Gas. Smart meter fitted via Octopus in about 2 weeks then switch to GO Tariff. No issues for me. I do think it depends on postcode.

Hi all, just put my deposit down for an EV5 LR so now going to try and sort things like home charging before it arrives in a few weeks (cant wait!)

Seems Octopus is a good/cheep elec supplier, i was going to sort a decent supplier before i go for a home charger (just use the granny charger to see how i get on). i'd happily take a referral code (without trying to inflame any of the above thread) - as they say, every little helps :D

does anyone have any feedback on how easy the switchover was to Octopus / smart meter installation?
I found it fine - had to prod to get put onto go faster. Do you have a smart meter yet?

Eo mini Pro charger works a treat

You could always just move your electric if you are tied in.
I got my original supplier to do it as it takes a few weeks to swap suppliers and a few weeks to get the meter done so I sort of did both at the same time.
I think most meters are the s2 now.
Have you looked into home chargers, what sort of daily/ weekly milage do you do?

You could always just move your electric if you are tied in.
I got my original supplier to do it as it takes a few weeks to swap suppliers and a few weeks to get the meter done so I sort of did both at the same time.
I think most meters are the s2 now.
Have you looked into home chargers, what sort of daily/ weekly milage do you do?
Thanks. Think I'll just switch to octopus and sort the meter with them. BG in my history have a way of amking life difficult!

I haven't yet started thinking about home chargers (just put the deposit down today), I was going to give it a few months once it arrives to see the milage and how it settles down and I havent really got a clue (covid completely messed up my historic miles), I'm also working on my boss to get a charger installed at work which would help ;)

But again any recommendations on home chargers (feels like another minefield) welcomed

Do you have a supermarket near you with a free charger?
Check out Zap-map app you can filter to show you free ones or rapids etc.

Thanks everyone for sharing their input. Just kicked off a switch from BG (leccy customer only - despite a dirty great gas terminal 5 miles away, there's no gas in this road)

Had to sign up on a common or garden tariff but I've also kicked off smart meter installation.

Go-live is 19/9/21 and meter changeover TBA, following which I'll switch to an Octopus Go tariff (I hope).

I'll let you know how it all goes.

If anyone is interested, here's an up to date Octopus referral link:

share.octopus.energy/umber-fly-66
Switch using that and we both get fifty quid.

Cheers all

Fluff

Thanks everyone for sharing their input. Just kicked off a switch from BG (leccy customer only - despite a dirty great gas terminal 5 miles away, there's no gas in this road)

Had to sign up on a common or garden tariff but I've also kicked off smart meter installation.

Go-live is 19/9/21 and meter changeover TBA, following which I'll switch to an Octopus Go tariff (I hope).

I'll let you know how it all goes.

If anyone is interested, here's an up to date Octopus referral link:

share.octopus.energy/umber-fly-66
Switch using that and we both get fifty quid.

Cheers all

Fluff
Enjoy the £50 ;)

Update #1

Cutover was set for Sept 19th.

Got an email from Octopus on Sept 14th, asking for a meter reading "within the next 10 days". I duly submitted readings on Sept 18th via the website. All pretty painlessly.

We cut over without incident on Sept 19th.

I'm now on a bog standard tariff until the smart meter is installed. - I'm still waiting for a date for that.

I did have one 'boo hoo sob' email from BG. All of a sudden after charging high prices for too long, they can magically offer me an (unspecified) discount (for an unspecified length of time). We'll see how the closing bill scene plays out.

More as it happens.

Fluff.

Amazing how it takes you to leave for them finally to offer you a better price. I have been so impressed with Octopus since switching from Shell-although a few months ago Shell contacted me trying to get me back as a customer and I was very rudely told that the Octopus Go tariff I'm on doesn't exist!!!

Update #2:

Having a look at the Octopus "My Account" online yesterday (it was far more entertaining than the drivel on the TV). I got a popup. Inviting me to take up a smart meter.

"OK" thought I. "I need a smart meter to switch to Octopus Go, so let's do it."

Clicked through on the link and was offered a range of timeslots on October 19th. Picked the first available and am now expecting an engineer visit sometime between 08:00 and midday. Just 4 weeks after going live.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh. And there was me thinking I'd been put on a bog standard single rate tariff. As I have an economy 7 meter at the moment I've been put on a proper economy 7 tariff.

So there's lovely. Just off to set the delay timers on the washing machine and the dish washer.

TTFN Fluff.

Had to chase via email for a couple of months to get my meter swap booked in.

Got it swapped a couple of weeks ago on the Monday and was live on Go on the Thursday. Can't really complain at that as I think it used to be a two week process just to connect to the meter looking at their blogs? Even at the peak rate of 15p I don't think anywhere still in business comes close to that!

Obligatory referral link for to get your free £50 share.octopus.energy/harsh-light-34 :)

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom