Poor charging experience

Google for Lord Denning's Red Hand Rule ... also Contra Proferentem. :)

The "fine" can be challenged - if you can be bothered to do so.

Casually browsing ZapMap to see what my charging options are for an upcoming visit to Aberystwyth. The National Library car park has FORTY CHARGERS!

10 x 75kW, 30 x 22kW

Comment on ZapMap says they're often ICEd on weekdays; not a problem at weekends.

But this should very much be the way things go.

Sadly this is a 20 minute walk, with a steep hill, from the town centre itself, where you'll just find 3 PodPoints in Tesco, one in Lidl and a couple of slow chargers for hotel guests.

(There's also a 6-device public Tesla station on the outskirts -- but I'm more interested in masses of destination chargers)

Also... there's nothing on ZapMap, until you click through, to indicate "this is a large group of chargers" versus "this is a lone charger"; would be useful.

Casually browsing ZapMap to see what my charging options are for an upcoming visit to Aberystwyth. The National Library car park has FORTY CHARGERS!

10 x 75kW, 30 x 22kW

Comment on ZapMap says they're often ICEd on weekdays; not a problem at weekends.

But this should very much be the way things go.

Sadly this is a 20 minute walk, with a steep hill, from the town centre itself, where you'll just find 3 PodPoints in Tesco, one in Lidl and a couple of slow chargers for hotel guests.

(There's also a 6-device public Tesla station on the outskirts -- but I'm more interested in masses of destination chargers)
If you fancy a ride on the Llangollen railway, there are the 8x Instavolt rapids at Rhug Estate, and a brand new 2x 50kW/10x 22kW at Corwen train station.

Checking out a theatre where I'm going to attend a performance in August, I discovered they have 16 type 2 chargers, 32 connectors, in the car park. (Plus others that seem to be for staff.) I saw a comment that you'll only get 3.5 Kw if both connectors on a charger are in use, but at least they're trying.

Last edited:
Yeah for me, not sure what year I started using a card in place of cash, but likely 2010 'ish' I feel. Cards with chip & pin were introduced in 2003

I feel quite fortunate that we have charge place Scotland up here, their RFID card has never let me down, used on numerous occasions and just works.

Paying for EV charging is worse than Petrol!​

Based on my experience with public chargers too, I totally agree with this guy

So you have rocked up to a charger in your 30-40K EV and you only have £40 space on your credit card, you shouldn't even be in car in that case, you should be on the bus.

So you have rocked up to a charger in your 30-40K EV and you only have £40 space on your credit card, you shouldn't even be in car in that case, you should be on the bus.
Err... £40 worth of elec would fill most battery cars so it's ample. The idea there was to test through pre-payment limitations on cards !. Plus it's much better than a nasty diesel bus with the great unwashed :ROFLMAO:

Err... £40 worth of elec would fill most battery cars so it's ample. The idea there was to test through pre-payment limitations on cards !. Plus it's much better than a nasty diesel bus with the great unwashed :ROFLMAO:
And if the charger glitches and try's to authorize a second time you're screwed

And if the charger glitches and try's to authorize a second time you're screwed
Exactly the point he's making.... EV chargers have a long way to go to catch up with petrol & diesel payment pump systems. But, the technology is there, so it should be a short journey.

He's not comparing like with like. EV chargers are the equivalent of pay at pump petrol stations which take £100 from you before you fill up so with only £40 balance left on his card he wouldn't be able to put petrol in either.

He's not comparing like with like. EV chargers are the equivalent of pay at pump petrol stations which take £100 from you before you fill up so with only £40 balance left on his card he wouldn't be able to put petrol in either.
But I suppose at many petrol stations you'd be able to go in and pay with your card and not have a hold on the card, just the charge.

Stirling council seem to have the right idea. Their Craigforth P&R has 30 type 2’s (so 60 places mostly 22k & a few 7k) and 4 50k rapids. most are under cover which supports a large PV array. Type 2’s are 25p/kWh with no time limit. Rapids are 35p with a 40 minute limit. £1 per minute if you overstay.

Completely dependent on what the pre authorisation charge is. Some petrol stations want to pre-auth charge £120 because of the cost of petrol, but immediately credit that back once you have paid for what you bought.
I used Instavolt who charged me £40 pre-auth charge for £9 worth of elec, but did not refund me the re-auth charge for three days.
So what he is comparing like for like, why can't elec charging owning companies behave just as fuel pumpp ones do at the pay point ?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back