Positive Vibes for the MG4

What a refreshing thread! Going off a lot of other posts I've read on here, I was beginning to think the MG4 was a right heap. As said though people do tend to highlight the problems. Whilst I do listen to comments and so called professional reviews, because they can definitely help. I'll always make my own mind up about the car I want to buy. So still on for an MG4 X Power in the spring. 🙂👍

Excellent forum, this. Full of useful advice and experiences, shared with good humour. As for the car, I’m a fan. It does exactly what I expected it to do, for a low price with a good warranty. Then there’s the sheer fun of it. I did a lot of research and found no better option. Still haven’t.

Last edited:
...auto headlights switch is easy to hit when selecting main beam...other than that ...I'm a happy bunny
glad I’m not the only one to experience this, done two overtakes now and gone full dark mode when I got past. 😳
Drivers must’ve wondered WTF I was playing at.

Pondering 3D printing a small guard to stop me doing it 🤓

I'll admit I didn't like the driving software, until today.

75 km/h in a 110km/h zone in pouring conditions with very limited visibility.

I set the car in ACC, eco, high regen and with the radar set to the maximum 3 bars.

The traffic was constantly changing speed on a 3 lane highway, the car performed beautifully, kept me well away from the cars in front, applied brakes early etc.

It made the drive fell a whole lot less stressful then it would have been.
I was on the M40 yesterday, driving south in the murk and drizzle - ACC was a god-send, made the drive a lot more relaxing. Never used the vanilla Cruise Control on my last ICE cars, but this ACC is wonderful.

glad I’m not the only one to experience this, done two overtakes now and gone full dark mode when I got past. 😳
Drivers must’ve wondered WTF I was playing at.

Pondering 3D printing a small guard to stop me doing it 🤓
I managed this. The auto high-beam came on while driving towards a parked police car. In my panic to not blind them I managed to turn all my lights off entirely. They must have thought I was mad.

But... seeing as this is a positive thread...

I am loving my MG4, had it since June. I'm not sure if I'd go orange again (that blue is loooovely) but I love the car. I cannot go back to driving ICE. It is tremendous fun to drive this car and it's so comfortable for long drives when using ACC. (coming from a 2010 Honda Civic).

Just had if filled, meaning 39.11 kWh loaded with AC charging. It was ready after 4hrs and 3 min. And it stopped nicely at 90% as intended. Not bad at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
The turning circle is brilliantly tight. That translates into easy maneuvering in forward or reverse e.g. once you get a good sense of the dimensions of the car, reverse parking into a tight space in a single motion is a snap. U turns that require forward-backward-forward in other cars are often a single motion turn for an MG4. Two months in, loving the car.

The turning circle is brilliantly tight. That translates into easy maneuvering in forward or reverse e.g. once you get a good sense of the dimensions of the car, reverse parking into a tight space in a single motion is a snap. U turns that require forward-backward-forward in other cars are often a single motion turn for an MG4. Two months in, loving the car.
I testdrove the 51 kWh MG4, and remember the turning circle as very narrow. I don't think it is as small on my Xpower, probably because of the front driveshafts. Anyone know the turning circle of Xpower? The RWD ones supposedly have 10,6 m.

I have another good thing about the MG4 today. I drove my Xpower in -22 degrees C today, and it was still very good heat in the cabin, so the heat pump still produce good heat in this temperature, and was surely adequate. But I noticed that if I turned the AC button off on the main screen, the heat was gone. So it looks like the AC button will control the heat pump entirely. Really no reason to ever turn it off in any temperature then. The MG4 heat pump cars do not have any PTC heater in addition?

I testdrove the 51 kWh MG4, and remember the turning circle as very narrow. I don't think it is as small on my Xpower, probably because of the front driveshafts. Anyone know the turning circle of Xpower? The RWD ones supposedly have 10,6 m.
Yeah I looked up XPower turning circle in the brochure and it is indeed bigger. Shame but I understand. I made my choice for power over convenience and I’d make it again heh. 😬

It is handy exiting my drive to get around parked cars (narrow road).

I have another good thing about the MG4 today. I drove my Xpower in -22 degrees C today, and it was still very good heat in the cabin, so the heat pump still produce good heat in this temperature, and was surely adequate. But I noticed that if I turned the AC button off on the main screen, the heat was gone. So it looks like the AC button will control the heat pump entirely. Really no reason to ever turn it off in any temperature then. The MG4 heat pump cars do not have any PTC heater in addition?
Don't think you get both - one or the other.

There are so many issues posted on the forum, which is generally why people come to a forum to find help, but we need some balance and positivity about the car that so many of us have on order. It can't all be bad. So owners, please can you share the one thing that has pleasantly surprised you or that you love most about your car. A thread of joy please 🙂

Edit: Or share as many good things as you want. Let's get the excitement back for the MG4!
Here’s some positivity to brighten your day….
We picked up our MG4 Trophy Extended Range on 10 November and did our first long trip away over Christmas. We left Sheffield with 100% battery and as we were very nervous about how far we would get (never had any form of electric vehicle previously) we set the ACC at 60 on the M1 and M25/23 and cruised down to Haywards Heath with no trouble at all, arriving with 31% left on the battery! Amazing! The weather was kind, average temperature was around 12C, traffic was light for those roads too so ideal conditions but hey we were delighted with the functionality, the comfort and the joy of zero emissions ….oh and the heated seats and steering wheel are so lovely!

We’ve had our mg4 trophy (my22) for just over twelve months - it is the most enjoyable car I’ve ever had.

I like it so much that when an opportunity came up for me to get an xpower on salary sacrifice with work, I jumped at the chance. Our second mg4 was delivered just before Christmas.

The xpower is easily as good as the trophy…but better 😉

1704456635911.jpeg

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 496 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums