Positive Vibes for the MG4

It’s amazing that the same car , can be on such a different service plan also in Australia we can go to any mechanical facility and still keep the warranty intact.
In theory in the UK we can go to any garage but to keep the warranty they have to use MG approved parts. The other problem is non-MG garages won't have access to the software updates and the breakdown cover won't be renewed.

It’s amazing that the same car , can be on such a different service plan also in Australia we can go to any mechanical facility and still keep the warranty intact.
Explicit exclusion by law of other facilities is not allowed here and may not influence warranty. However, they should work according to MG standards. Not sure about road assistance though.
The thing is, there are not many facilities offering to service your MG apart from the dealer.
I talked about it when I told my previous repair shop I would switch. The owner was pretty clear about that. No MG. Costs of training is one thing. But poor support, no spare parts and MG being bureaucratic and 'very unprofessional to customers' put him off.

It's probably 24 month service intervals everywhere, except the UK (At a guess) Doesn't suprise me at all, anything to relieve us of just that bit more of our hard-earned, or am I being a tad cynical. 🙄🙂
No. It is also the case on the European mainland.

I
Love mine MG4 SE SR MY22
Unfortunately there must be one in at least a few hundred that are genuinely faulty.
Mines that one.
But I will miss her and am genuinely a bit sad . She’s a stunner and nippy, she is warm, she never doesn’t start, I love how it feels like a magnet to the ground when taking corners and almost pats your back end out of a corner.
She’s not a problem really but she’s too low for me and I find it difficult getting in and out with my legs .
She’s lovely but she’s just not for me. I’ll miss her dreadfully.

Love mine MG4 SE SR MY22
Unfortunately there must be one in at least a few hundred that are genuinely faulty.
Mines that one.
But I will miss her and am genuinely a bit sad . She’s a stunner and nippy, she is warm, she never doesn’t start, I love how it feels like a magnet to the ground when taking corners and almost pats your back end out of a corner.
She’s not a problem really but she’s too low for me and I find it difficult getting in and out with my legs .
She’s lovely but she’s just not for me. I’ll miss her dreadfully.

What's the genuine fault? You seem to be saying you have to change the car because the ergonomics don't work with your disability.

Well I didn’t really want to do a Bowfer in the real reason and I was posting the good points.
You’ve read enough of my posts to know my problems with the car I just didn’t think this was the thread to do it on!
Would it be better if I wrote the cars a pile of shite?

That's a shame. No, better not go into details in this thread, I shouldn't have asked. I just wasn't connecting you with one of the people who had posted bad experiences elsewhere.

On a lighter note....

I have loads of posts on how great I think the car is, but I don't suppose another one will hurt!🤣

The biggest thing I've learned is... Adapt or Die.

I've not finished typing yet posted by accident🤣 carrying on in the background........

I have seen sooo many posts where people are getting angry with the car or the software that that will just build up a resentment and they come on here a slag it off. (I do get it)

I have learnt how everything works (now) and don't have an issue doing anything through the screen.

After all these years of buttons for everything, condensing nearly all the features of the cars operation into one screen will be overwhelming for some folk.
I got quite frustrated with it in the early weeks and found that no amount of shouting at it made an iota of difference.🤣
I needed to adapt or regress to a previous model which in reality was not an option

Just one example is the LKA.

Yes, I don't think it works properly and switch it off every time I use the car.

Yes, I would prefer a switch on the end of a stalk, like I had in my Audi which would be a one press "off" solution.

But turning it off on the MG4 is just part of the start up, and second nature now.

I have had all the German brands and think the MG4 is one of the nicest cars to drive I've ever owned.

I would have genuinely left the dealership with the no frills SE version, so impressed with the test drive was I.

But my wife poked in "Her Gert Big Conk" and talked me into the MG4XP.

I "struggled" really hard against ALL her arguments to buying the more expensive, less efficient, costlier to insure, but ultimately MUCH FASTER XP.

It is without doubt the most fun and practical car I have owned for many years and for the money unbeatable IMO.

It has brought back my love of driving and long may it continue.

Did I mention it's quite fast?

20231115_174818.jpg

Last edited:
On a lighter note....

I have loads of posts on how great I think the car is, but I don't suppose another one will hurt!🤣

I've not finished typing yet posted by accident🤣 carrying on in the background........

I have seen sooo many posts where people are getting angry with the car or the software that that will just build up a resentment and they come on here a slag it off. (I do get it)

I have learnt how everything works (now) and don't have an issue doing anything through the screen.

After all these years of buttons for everything, condensing nearly all the features of the cars operation into one screen will be overwhelming for some folk.
I got quite frustrated with it in the early weeks and found that no amount of shouting at it made an iota of difference.🤣
I needed to adapt or regress to a previous model which in reality was not an option

Yes, I don't think it works properly and switch it off every time I use the car.

Yes, I would prefer a switch on the end of a stalk, like I had in my Audi which would be a one press "off" solution.

But turning it off on the MG4 is just part of the start up, and second nature now.

I have had all the German brands and think the MG4 is one of the nicest cars to drive I've ever owned.

I would have genuinely left the dealership with the no frills SE version, so impressed with the test drive was I.

I "struggled" really hard against ALL her arguments to buying the more expensive, less efficient, costlier to insure, but ultimately MUCH FASTER XP.

It is without doubt the most fun and practical car I have owned for many years and for the money unbeatable IMO.

No. You failed to notify us:cry:

On a lighter note....

I know where you're coming from.

I had my test drive in a Trophy but was never enamoured with the Trophy trim. I didn't care about fake-leather seats or a built-in satnav or whatever. I also didn't need the LR range most of the time, and I liked the idea of the LFP battery. (Also, the dealer finally fessed up that he had a blue SE SR in stock and I could have it in only a few days.) I did also think that if the whole idea was going to go pear-shaped and the car turned out to be a turkey (given the price) then it was less to lose!

I knew the X-Power was on the way, but there wasn't a date or a price. I thought it would come in at over £40,000 and I didn't really want to pay that much for a car. Or at least, I could tell myself that when the car didn't exist yet, anyway. I also wasn't prepared to trust that the car would appear before the MOT on my Golf ran out, and also I didn't want to go on driving a beat-up write-off all summer. I also had reservations about being MG's beta-tester for a new model.

If you'd told me then what the price would be, and that I could have one by the autumn, would I have gone for it? Very possibly. But now, I'm genuinely fond of my SE SR and have no reason to want to change it other than, gosh, doesn't Bricktop's car look great, and I think he said it was quite fast...

Last edited:
Just make sure you get a "service" at 12 months to keep you 7 year warranty intact and another 12 months of Breakdown cover included.

I've have a service plan for my car and the first service is just £95.

Bit steep for what is essentially a checkover and possibly the pollen filter, but it is a requirement of the warranty.
The odd thing is that MG UK's own website suggests - in a table - that servicing is required every two years, although it also says most cars are recommended to be serviced annually.

But as you say, to get the roadside assistance refresher for free for another year you need annual servicing.

Just checked the service plan I took out at MG when taking delivery of my XPower in late October 2023. I have indeed signed up for annual checks: 2024, 2025 and 2026. The cost, if anyone is interested, was £386.72 upfront. The sales guy told me at the time it was a pretty good deal and seemed sincere, not that I compared the market.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back