Our range (according to the app) at 100% charge has dropped (before the cold) from 281 to 241, then 220. But does the car base the range on what you as a driver have achieved? IE, if you are heavy footed, next time you charge does it knock the range down accordingly?

We did a trip to london and back today, 2 miles through the country to the M11, 30 miles down the M11 and then 20 in London. In the morning in rain and with the temp 3°C I got 3 miles/kWh doing 65-70 on the motorway, on the way back when the temperature was 7°C and the rain a bit heavier I got 3.5 miles/kWh doing more like 60-65. This is with the heating set to 23°C both journeys. In September at 20°C the same journey was about 4-4.5 miles/kWh. In the morning the miles/kWh was creeping up over the motorway, presumably as the battery warmed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
My SR ZS had 114 estimated miles left last night, with 63% battery left. Driven in Normal mode and with Auto heating and heated seats ON.
Put on charge and it needed 20.2 kWh of energy to take it up to 100%.

The display shows an estimated 2.2 mi/kWh. The average summer readings was 3.7.
Mine was 3.6-3.7 during the summer but 2-2.5 around town. Just back from a 90 mile trip now reading 3.1. I did heat battery foe 15 mins before setting out.

Correct - it essentially bases range from what the Accumulated Total efficiency is.
It certainly does not.
I just recently reset my accumulated total due to weather getting a lot colder than usual in Finland (-20C at worst, below -10C at all times) so now I have accumulated total of 29.8kWh/100km (which is the maximum capped value) that equals to ~2miles/kWh. Still, the GOM happily shows 270km at full battery. Let's just call that cheating.

How recently?

Anyway, you've just proved my point - resetting the Accumulated Total odometer resets the GoM range to near-enough the WLTP figure. 🤷‍♂️

Mine was 3.6-3.7 during the summer but 2-2.5 around town. Just back from a 90 mile trip now reading 3.1. I did heat battery foe 15 mins before setting out.
I have the 2022 MG 5 LR Exclusive and use an independent 12V heater to demist the screen and takes the chill of inside the. Car. And getting 218 miles to full charge at temp of 0°C . But even if you use the standard car heater sparingly you're lucky to get 200 miles.

My daily commute is quite early and only about 20-25 minutes. Pre-heating using mains lece isn't an option.
Winter absolutely kills my efficiency. By the time I've heated the car enough to de-ice/de-mist it I'm down to 2 mi/kWh and the 20 mins at 65 mph gets it back up only took about 2.8.
It does seem a little worse this year than last.
I generally love the car, and felt I was reasonably clued-in pre-purchase my first EV, but am frustrated by the poor efficiency.

If you preheat the cabin and the battery using the HV battery, how is your efficiency then?
De-Ice should only take 10 minutes if you set the temperature to 25°C and will have consumed 1kWh.
Preheating the battery will take 20-25 minutes on an SE SR and can be scheduled in the app. It will have consumed between 1 and 2 kWh depending on how cold the pack is. You could then warm up the cabin a further 10 minutes and it will bring the interior up to a comfortable range around 19-20 degrees.
If you do the above, what is your energy consumption like on your commute?
Granted, you will have consumed between 2 and 4 kWh before your trip: that’s on top of the presumably 6 to 7 kWh that your trip will consume once everything is warmed up properly.
That will cost you £3.52 assuming you are charging at the fixed rate and including charging losses. So your commute is going to be equivalent to 2.2 litres of petrol, which is slightly under half a gallon. I don’t know how far it is but looks like 20-25 miles, you are doing 50mpg when the temps are below 5 degrees.
50mpg for say 3 months of the year.
Nearer 80-90 mpg the rest of the year.
Maybe I miscalculated something in the above calculations but give it a try.

@hharzel I wonder how the Heat Pump in the Luxury model handles Finnish winters hehe. I'm waiting for delivery on my Luxury here in Oulu.
I wish I had had the time to wait for the luxury mode, as the SE is not a "winter car" (LFP+no heat pump) and obviously designed with warmer climate in mind - apparently users from Australia are getting quite exceptional efficiency figures.

I wish I had had the time to wait for the luxury mode, as the SE is not a "winter car" (LFP+no heat pump) and obviously designed with warmer climate in mind - apparently users from Australia are getting quite exceptional efficiency figures.
Define ‘winter car’ because I’m having no issues

Let me expand.
Some countries are colder than others especially during the winter
The uk is relatively mild compared to even Central Europe.
Finland I guess is really cold. So you must invest more in keeping the battery warm. Do you have a heated garage? How much is your electricity costing you? How much range do you need on a daily basis?

Last edited:
How recently?

Anyway, you've just proved my point - resetting the Accumulated Total odometer resets the GoM range to near-enough the WLTP figure. 🤷‍♂️

Your right @siteguru......(obviously 🤣🤣🤣)
Made the effort yesterday to do my first balance charge since I got the car.

Got to my Tesla charger with 6% remaining.
Fast charged to 96%
Then put it on a 6kw public car park charger and went to the pub for lunch.
Got to 100% then it just sat there for a while, trickle charging.
About another 30 minutes.
Reset everything and it changed the gom to 250 miles.
Sadly, The Wife put on the heated seats before I got a picture of the 250!

20231206_140228.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a thing that I have observed but not formally tested yet, I seem to get a better miles/kWh ratio in the cold on my commute when driving conservatively in sport mode than in eco mode. As far as I'm aware the only 'real', ie not related to steering wheel/pedal weighting, difference between the two is the amount of available power at any given time so I'm not sure why this would be unless it has some effect on how quickly the battery warms up. Anyone else noticed this, or am I fooling myself?

I'm running 2.6 on the Mg4 on my 30 mile (each way) commute - Mixed roads ... I regularly reset the GOM just 'because I don't like the rubbish winter miles' - Yeah I know cheating ... But its still cheaper than an ICE - End of debate in my head ..

& I cycle to and from work during the summer ..

At £0.075 /kWh I don't mind how many miles I get during winter.

Just done 68 miles round trip at 7°C on a windy and rainy day in UK, with heated seats on and the ZS SR gom shows 3.1 miles/kWh.

Two full charges would yield 310 miles and would cost the grand sum of £7.52, with even better results in the summer. That's a heck better than a car with a combustion engine.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel