Hello everyone & happy new year to you all. Recently finding that putting our MG ZS EV on charge overnight am getting less range from it. Only got the car in May 23 and it mostly charged to 243, on one occasion going up to 267! But the last three full overnight charges at home on our 7kW charger are only giving between 200-215.
Any thoughts anyone, could I be doing something wrong here?
Its cold out.

My March 2023 ZS LR range dropped from 351 miles (Normal mode) to 247 (198 miles with 80% SOC) in winter .

I think 200 miles of range is normal in winter when heater is constantly used with classic London driving behaviour.

I started driving "better" after being rewarded with "leaves" and "trophies" by my previous hybrid car. Now I stared to enjoy high efficiency with ZS.

There's no such thing as charging "to a range". The battery will charge to a percentage of it's capacity. From the sounds of it you're charging to 100%.

The car will then estimate what that battery charge will get you in terms of distance. That will rely on a number of factors including temperature (both battery temperature and ambient temperature - a battery is less efficient at lower temperature), cabin heater usage and previous driving patterns and behaviour. So you'll see a lower range estimate at this time of year when it's colder.

As someone's suggested above, there's a lot of posts on exactly this, on this site and pretty much every other EV site going.

(People always forget that this exactly the same as with a petrol or diesel car. They're less efficient in cold weather, use more fuel when heaters are on full blast or if they're being driven at 70mph etc. Their miles per gallon/litre will drop. It's just there's no little readout in the car with an estimated petrol/diesel range and petrol stations are so common and instant refill that nobody ever thinks about the car's "range").

In short, don't sweat it and just charge when you need to. In my Tesla I long ago changed the settings so that it doesn't show an estimated range at all. It just shows my remaining percentage. I find it a much more helpful gauge and after a few weeks you get used to knowing at what percentage you want to look for a charger around etc. Not sure if that option exists on the MG.

Thanks for your comments everyone. I suppose it will give less range this time of year as it's colder. I do drive at or near the speed limit most of the time so I imagine the car remembers this. I have never worked out my miles per kwh, not sure how to either.
Thanks again, good to know it doesn't need a repair.

Thanks for your comments everyone. I suppose it will give less range this time of year as it's colder. I do drive at or near the speed limit most of the time so I imagine the car remembers this. I have never worked out my miles per kwh, not sure how to either.
Thanks again, good to know it doesn't need a repair.
No worries. Definitely doesn't need a repair 👍

For info in case you are interested (there's no reason to be!), miles per kWh is literally how many miles travelled for each kWh of energy used. The dash display shows your lifetime (I think) miles per kWh if you scroll to the correct screen, and possibly for the last trip. It's been a while since I checked my wife's MG stats. It won't show you historic stats though, so no way of retrospectively checking your summer efficiency.

My estimates as to your efficiency were based on:

Summer: 68.3kwh usable battery, 243 miles of estimated range. 243/68.3 = 3.5 (miles per kWh).

Winter: 68.3kwh usable battery, 207 miles of estimated range (median of your 200-215 range). 207/68.3 = 3 (miles per kWh).

As I say, all you really need to know is that it's expected, not anything to get fixed and come spring/summer you'll see your estimate increasing a bit again. Some of us just get a bit geeky with numbers out of a misplaced sense of fun.

Hi All. New to EVs and new to the forum. I’m looking for some advice.
I have a new ZS Trophy long range which arrived in October.

I’m finding that when I charge it to 80% it is showing a range of ~130mls.

It has a nominal range of 273mls. So I would have thought that even in this slightly cold weather it would show over 200?
So far I have only used the granny charger as I am moving house next month and can’t get a charger installed.
Another factor may be that it was delivered with only 6% charge and I have no idea how long it was sat around in that low charge state.
Total novice so please assume I know nothing about EVs.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I suggest a few battery balance charges, leave it on the granny once it reaches 100% for a few more hours. Drive it to get the battery to under 50% then repeat. This can be done on any type2 AC EVSE (charge point).
What is your current m/kWh?
Try resetting all the trip counters if you want a factory GOM

Welcome to the forum and the world of EV's.

The GOM is just a guess based on previous journeys. If you press the left arrow on the right of the steering wheel, you'll get the display of miles per kWh. In winter this will probably be between 2.5 -3.0. and in summer maybe 3.5 to 4.5 (depending on your driving style). I tend to use this rather than the GOM to assess efficiency.

Thanks Both. I hadn't observed the m/kWh up till now. Its done 663 miles and says it does 2.1 miles per kWh. So if that is correct I guess that seems to be the reason. I don't drive particularly fast but I live in Sheffield which is famously built on 7 hills, like its less glamorous counterpart in Italy. So I guess that is probably the reason for the low miles per kWh.
I assume if I reset the accumulated total trip counters that will give me the distance measure that is important - will it make it to my holiday destination on flattish roads?
I have set it to charge to 100% and I guess from there it will automatically balance?

And after resetting the trip counters it does indeed show 200 mls range for 77% charge. Feeling a bit of a numpty now :p, but in my defence 2.1 m/kWh does seem low.🤷‍♂️
I will, however, charge it and balance the battery overnight on your advice.
Thanks for your help.

Just be aware that the 200 miles is the factory default and is not based in the real world. Your real range will slowly be revealed as you drive the car and the software takes into account speed, start/stop driving, and weather. :)

I recently did a 208 mile journey, mostly on motorway, without having to stop for a charge and got home with 10% remaining.

And after resetting the trip counters it does indeed show 200 mls range for 77% charge. Feeling a bit of a numpty now :p, but in my defence 2.1 m/kWh does seem low.🤷‍♂️
I will, however, charge it and balance the battery overnight on your advice.
Thanks for your help.
@Domdadada - Just to give you a point of reference, and easy your level of concern.
We also have a Trophy LR that is about 20 months old and now covered about 15,000 miles.
The car is exclusively charged from our A/C wall box no D/C rapid charging.
If I reset both trips, then set the charge level to 80%.
The following morning with the HVAC turned off and the car booted up into the default mode of normal / regen level 3 the car is predicting an estimated range of around 210 miles.
In warmer conditions, it has consistently predicted 212 miles at 80% SOC.
The lowest I have seen it predict is 206 miles when the ambient temp is extremely cold.
As the Trophy LR has the NMC chemistry battery, charging to 100% is only required when you intend to make the longer trips.
Given your current stated milage covered, then you are a relatively low user case.
If so, do you need to fully charge to 100% ?????.
Unless you intend to make a longer trip, then charging to 100% and leaving the car sitting around is not advisable for long term battery health.

Hi everyone I’m after some help

I’ve seen the range of my long range ZS get lower and lower. Almost a full charge tonight and only showing 160 odd miles. Any ideas I’ve only had it 8 months

I’ve got it booked in but the wait time is a month

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4696.png
    IMG_4696.png
    474.7 KB · Views: 45
Many threads on this.

Predicted range is affected by cooler temperatures and previous driving behavior (miles/kWh). I see you are in Blackpool UK, the daily forecast is going down to 3°C over the next week.

You can reset your kms/miles travelled each time you head off with a full charge for an updated prediction. Your predicted range will return during the warmer months.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so happy to live in Australia, although Friday is looking to be 40°C and today a nice 27°C my MG 4-51 is loving life.
Aye it’s just about the same here - it’s braw dinkum as we’re wont to say in these parts 🤣🤣

Aye it’s just about the same here
In my dreams 🤩

If you think about anything mechanical then it all needs an optimum temp to work correctly. Diesels are far Inefficient at warm up. We've got a motor that will be efficient when it's warm. Tight bearings etc. Battery chemistry is the same except all the pixies are far more cheery like we are in warm weather. In warm weather the battery heating will be off, motor at an agreeable temp so the stiction is nigh on nill, in winter it will be far higher. And you've got the heater on, other electric bits etc that put a high demand on a lethargic pixie powered battery.
Best explanation I’ve seen 👌

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom