Solar Charging

Bazzer44

Established Member
Reaction score
Just got solar panels and have Rolec home charger
Any one else got advice on this combination with 2020 ZS EV and Solar Charging?

I have an off grid setup in my shed. Currently 2.8kw of panels, 6000w inverter but only about 4-5kwh of usable battery capacity.

As it stands, I can put a "bit" of power into the car @ 6-8amps when there is good sun. I really need more panels and battery capacity to make it viable.

Thanks for that
I have 4kw ,11kw battery ,need to learn it's working , will get there eventually

I have 4kW of PV with an 8kWh battery, and a variable current granny lead. I put it on 6 Amps to start with to share the solar with the battery and the car, and gradually increase the amps as the sun gets higher in the sky. Yesterday I put 9% back in the battery purely from solar. This morning as of 09:30, 1.4kW is going to the car and 100W into the house battery. When the house battery starts to get more than the car, I up the amps. :)

I installed an adjustable current monitering device that switches on a contactor when the solar panels reach 2.2kw output (4kw fitted) at that point it turns off the 1.5 kw immersion heater which is also current controlled.

I used to be running about switching the granny lead on and off when clouds came and went at a fraction of the price of a Zappi et al, now it is completely automatic.

I reckon I will get 40 to 50 free mIles today and I have now got (or will have on Tuesday) a 61kw home battery.

Very happy chappy

s-l140.jpg

Self-Powered Sensor Switch 40-400Hz AC Current Adjustable Flameproof IP30
Models: BEMG30NO Normally. you will need a contactorOpen
£13.83

Available on Ebay, there there is a cheaper version on ebay which looks similar but is rubbish and this one is also din rail mounted.

You will need a contactor or relay to switch the load as the sensor switch will only handle up to 0.5 amps.

So for about £25 and some cable and a socket, et voila!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom