State of Community check

Do you fit into any of the categories below?

• Total voters
Had mine ten days. Nicest car I’ve ever driven. Still getting used to the fact I need to adapt and learn some new skills. It is a complex piece of kit and I’m sure if I worked at it I could find something to gripe about. But can’t be bothered. So long as it’s comfy, reliable and a pleasure to drive I’m happy.

Had mine ten days. Nicest car I’ve ever driven. Still getting used to the fact I need to adapt and learn some new skills. It is a complex piece of kit and I’m sure if I worked at it I could find something to gripe about. But can’t be bothered. So long as it’s comfy, reliable and a pleasure to drive I’m happy.
Thank the lord someone else feels like I do......😃😃

Well, I've had my Camden Grey Trophy for just over a week now and I have to say I love it so far.

Build quality seems high although the seat fabrics worry me a bit. Hate that I have to remember to switch of LKA every time I drive away but other than that I am enjoying the ownership experience.

A set of Mats is on its way from CarMats.co.uk (The discount code quoted elsewhere in the forum still seems to work) as is a boot liner and assorted bits from AliExpress. I have also upgraded the interior lamps as per the instructions from others on the forum but would warn, it's not for the faint-hearted as the lamp fittings are easy to push out with the slightly thicker LED lamps and they can disappear into the headliner.

As there now seems to be a flood of new deliveries, I can't help wondering if MG didn't hold back cars to sort out the problems that were being reported.

Thankfully, I don't appear to have the infamous air scoops under the car or the dreaded oil leak. We will have to wait and see but so far so good. I will report back if thing change.

Attachments

• MG4.jpg
    MG4.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 73
Well, I've had my Camden Grey Trophy for just over a week now and I have to say I love it so far.

Build quality seems high although the seat fabrics worry me a bit. Hate that I have to remember to switch of LKA every time I drive away but other than that I am enjoying the ownership experience.

A set of Mats is on its way from CarMats.co.uk (The discount code quoted elsewhere in the forum still seems to work) as is a boot liner and assorted bits from AliExpress. I have also upgraded the interior lamps as per the instructions from others on the forum but would warn, it's not for the faint-hearted as the lamp fittings are easy to push out with the slightly thicker LED lamps and they can disappear into the headliner.

As there now seems to be a flood of new deliveries, I can't help wondering if MG didn't hold back cars to sort out the problems that were being reported.

Thankfully, I don't appear to have the infamous air scoops under the car or the dreaded oil leak. We will have to wait and see but so far so good. I will report back if thing change.
They arrive by the boatload in batches of a couple thousand.

Its not as if they are being built and leaving a factory in Longbridge every day

I have a fairly early car (Nov '22 orange Trophy) with around 3,000 miles now. It replaced a 40kWh Leaf. Really pleased with it; although I've had the oil leak, undertray bulge and I can't get the scheduled charging to work (although I just use the timer on my home charger which works ok). Great balance of ride and handling. Could do with more torque (despite having more power than the Leaf the torque is considerably less). Looking forward to the dual-motor Triumph/xPower version!

Don't like to tempt fate, but 3 weeks in and 300 miles of varied driving and I'm really enjoying it. Fitted lots of extras - led courtesy lights, mats, mud flaps, boot liner, front and rear dashcams, sill protectors, door lock caps. Still have to do the bonnet struts.

My dealers were very open about the oil leak when I asked and said they had to fit the breather to a number of cars but said the issue was hopefully resolved for latest shipments but told me to call if I had any issues. Haven't seen any oil and hoping that I wont.

Strange to see so many people waiting for over 3 months. I started looking at electric cars for the first time only 10 days ago. Phoned dealer to book a test drive a few days later, that was booked for the day before yesterday (Saturday). It's now Monday night. I had an email this morning saying the dealer hoped to have the car I ordered on Saturday ready for collection on Thursday.

Just as well really, because some idiot wrote off my Golf GTi and I have to hand the (perfectly driveable) car in tomorrow if I want the insurance money. (I honestly thought I was going to have to reject the insurance offer, which was pretty decent, and keep the car going for two or three months for an order to come through. But the dealer shocked me rigid by saying he had exactly the car I just ordered sitting waiting, purchased on spec because they're going like hot cakes and he knows they'll sell.)

All I need to do now is prise the money out of a savings bond I haven't touched in 20 years.

Also don't wanna jinx it, but I've had my SE SR for three weeks and can't fault it. Spectacular car, and a lightyear jump ahead of my 15-year-old petrol car I used to drive! Not to mention all the family members I've shown it to love the colour.

I've taken it on one 600 mile roundtrip journey (jumped in at the deep end!) and a handful of 50 mile smaller weekend visits, and it's been a breeze the whole way. Charging has worked almost perfectly in all the places I've tried it, only one charge dispenser that just wouldn't start for no reason. I also had one instance of Android Auto just not connecting, with a black screen open and no audio being put through until the car was completely rebooted.

Definitely had to pay more attention to how I drive; I compared 50 miles one way of motorway driving 'normally' (70-75 mph with some 80 to overtake, Normal mode setting) with an 'economical' trip back (57 in cruise control behind lorries, 60 otherwise, gentle with pedal and Eco mode) and the difference was 7% charge. So for long trips this really encourages me to min-max the battery usage!

Also, I haven't got any options for home charging, so for now I'm relying on public chargers, the closest of which is a Type 2 less than five minutes away. We'll see how it goes in terms of costs.

Your car looks like my car's twin!

I also don't want to jinx it, but I'm a very happy camper. I've not driven many miles yet though, and only tried out the public charge point five minutes walk from my house twice (once with the Type 2 and once with the CCS) to see how it worked. I couldn't rely on that entirely though because the longest you can leave a car on it is 55 minutes then the fines kick in.

600 miles is brave at this stage! I'm planning a few days with a friend 200 miles from home to suss out the charging stations and see how easy it all is. I was wondering about how to charge once I got there, because I'm not sure about the wiring in their 1930s house, but then ZapMap told me there is a 7KW type 2 public charging station literally right across the street from the house! We're talking about 50 yards as far as I can see. (I didn't notice it when I was there at Christmas but then I wasn't thinking that the accident damage on my GTI was going to lead to the insurance scrapping it at that point, so I didn't have electric cars on my mind.)

Is this what it was like in the early days of petrol motoring when you couldn't quite be sure there was any petrol available where you were going?

Minor niggles are
  • Not having electrically folding wing mirrors is ridiculously cheapskate in a car like this
  • Having to faff around turning off that Lane Assist thing (and the speed limit detector) every time you start the car is a pain in the neck
  • The USB music player is stupidly simple-minded, not even able to cope with folders, or indeed read iPod files
I suppose another annoyance is that my phone won't talk to the car because it only has Android 8 which doesn't support Android Auto, so I guess I'll have to get a new phone too. But that's hardly the car's fault.

Maybe I'll find something else to complain about, but that's it at the moment. I don't intend to drive around like Miss Daisy when I didn't in my GTI. Electricity is cheaper than petrol, so why would I?

Last edited:
I suppose another annoyance is that my phone won't talk to the car because it only has Android 8 which doesn't support Android Auto, so I guess I'll have to get a new phone too. But that's hardly the car's fault.
Android auto does work on the normal version of android 8, you have to download the android auto app, from android 10 and onwards it was baked into the OS.

BUT google also produced a version of android 8.1 called the (Go edition) which was meant for android entry level phones with less than 2GB of Ram. It was a stripped down version this is not compatible with the android app.

So I am assuming your phone has this stripped down version of android

Goodness knows. I did phone my computer guru to ask if the OS could be upgraded to Android 10 and he said no. I have no idea whether my OS is the stripped down version or not, but I haven't been able to find a way to get Android Auto on to it. (My friend checked her phone last night and it was all there. She has a VW Polo that isn't set up for it. We wondered if we should swap phones or cars...)

I've had the phone four years and it may be time for an upgrade anyway. The saga of me and Ariel Direct needs to be brought to a close anyway. (They are the reason I have this crappy cheap phone - they scammed me out of an upgrade I was due from O2.)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back