Steering gone on my 2021 ZS EV

I'd have thought the rack was the more logical place :unsure:
I think the vast majority of cars with electric power steering, have the motor strapped to the steering column now.
Many of VAG / Vauxhall / Pug’s / Fiat etc have favoured this method for a while now.
Not sure on a Tesla ?.
They maybe still using a pump system ?.

Checked with my dealer on the status of my replacement steering column ordered on the 12th September.

The part is still showing as TBA they chased MG UK to be told again "we currently do not have an ETA on this due to the global semi conductor shortage. awaiting update from the manufacturers."

I wonder what will show up first my ZS EV MK2 ordered in March or the steering column. Am starting to question buying another MG what's the point having a 7 year warranty on a car that has no spare parts. If it was an MOT how long would I be without a car.

Checked with my dealer on the status of my replacement steering column ordered on the 12th September.

The part is still showing as TBA they chased MG UK to be told again "we currently do not have an ETA on this due to the global semi conductor shortage. awaiting update from the manufacturers."

I wonder what will show up first my ZS EV MK2 ordered in March or the steering column. Am starting to question buying another MG what's the point having a 7 year warranty on a car that has no spare parts. If it was an MOT how long would I be without a car.
Any mileage asking another dealer? Perhaps a "big name" as known & oft mentioned on this forum? (Unless this already is a "big name" dealer?)

Last edited:
The part is still showing as TBA they chased MG UK to be told again "we currently do not have an ETA on this due to the global semi conductor shortage.
I am really struggling to understand how the semi conductor shortage, affects dispatching a steering column for your car ?????.
This sounds more like a "Cut & Paste" exercise entitled :- "Stop Moaning About The Lack Of Part's" response to me.
What I find strange here, is that some dealers appear to be receiving the necessary parts and others don't - why ??.
Have they ordered the correct part(s) ??.
Something does not add up correctly here somehow.
If you had been given a loan / hire car at the time, I can pretty much guarantee you would not be waiting this long for the parts for your car !.
It's all to easy to blame poor customer service, by playing the trump card of delays caused by either semi conductor shortages or C19.
MG must be getting a supply of steering columns, or they would not be building any cars.
They just don't want to allocate any for spares.

If the steering assist system is at the top of the column, it could be that they replace the whole thing, and it may have chips in it.

If the steering assist system is at the top of the column, it could be that they replace the whole thing, and it may have chips in it.
A bit of research would reveal this is not a semiconductor issue, it's a mechanical failure issue.."bits on the carpet", "clicking noises from the column" , read back in the thread 👍🏻

My guess is that the service procedure is very simplistic, and following the steps leads to "replace entire steering column". That will presumably fix the problem, but a tiny bit of thought would (again guessing) lead to ordering and replacing just the mechanical part that is at fault. In at least one case, that part is in stock in Australia, when larger steering assemblies are not.

In the worst case, if they order the wrong part, you could be waiting for months and find that when eventually installed, the new part doesn't fix the problem. It's happened.

I did give this some thought myself to be honest Tim.
IF the steering column DID come with the electric power steering drive motor attached, then yeah I could see being a maybe issue in supplying the part(s) ?.
If the electric steering motor does has a chip, then this well could be the MAYBE the cause of the delay.
This may item may need recoding to the car, if this was indeed the case.
But my guess would be its a inner and outer column assembly only, complete with the UJ lower steering joint, LESS all of the other items like the power steering motor etc.
These items would need to be striped and refitted to the new column assembly.
This way the car itself, would not detect any items had been replaced that COULD contain chips, but I don't think so somehow.
Coding a new power steering motor should not be a huge problem, but obtaining a 100% column complete, with EVERYTHING included on it could be.
I somehow I doubt this really, as the electric power steering motor is likely to be a very expensive item to replace, and not likely to be the fix necessary.
One of our friends from down under had the problem incorrectly assessed by his local dealer and they decided to order a new electric steering motor, they waited weeks for it to arrive and then decided it was the lower steering UJ joint at fault.
Even though the owner had tried to point them in the correct direction.
UJ joint ordered and installed a few weeks latter, problem fixed !.
As we suspect that it's only likely to be the lower UJ joint ( that is the common known cause of the problem here ) to have failed.
This is why I asked if the correct part had been ordered by the dealer ?.
Procuring a steering column assembly 100% complete, is going to be a LONG LONG wait !.
Surly the lower UJ joint is available to order, without purchasing the complete steering column ?.
I am sure I have seen an exploded picture on the forum, of the steering column and the UJ is a standalone item to order ?.
Honestly, back in the day, I would have researched a much better quality UJ joint and installed it myself.
Used a blind spot face cutter in a pillar drill, to remove the the crimps on the old UJ yokes ( if required ).
Then press out the old crappy UJ joint and install a better quality UJ joint and then re-climp the UJ cups into the UJ yokes and your done.
I am thinking 3 hours work, if you can gain enough clearance to release the splines from the lower UJ joint to the steering column, by dropping the steering rack securing bolts, leaving the steering column assembly itself in place.
I am sure @N2STY and others are on my wave length here (y).

Yes, I mentioned obtaining quality parts (Hardy-Spicer?) some time ago, but then the standard parts may be just those!

If the problem is how the columns are fitted, that may not fix the underlying problem.

This is such a serious issue that it needs a proper response from MG. If people do their own repairs it will not really help solve it. As it stands, the issue could still be caused by the odd faulty part, several suppliers with a rogue member, or faulty installation. We are getting nowhere.

A bit of research would reveal this is not a semiconductor issue, it's a mechanical failure issue.."bits on the carpet", "clicking noises from the column" , read back in the thread 👍🏻
You can bet the semiconductor issue the planet is facing has a direct result on all logistics coming from MG - whether this be assembly procedures/equipment or IT issues within MG itself. The silicon shortage has ripple on effects for nearly all things in our modern life.

Lets say you design a product that has passed all certifications and is set to use 10,000 IC's from a 3rd party, and at the 11th hour that IC disappears from stock globally (carpet bagging etc.).. you find that this has a huge knock on effect within entire company procedures and things have to move/adjust to fit.

This is the ever changing world of using IC's at the moment - everything is fluid.

Well ive had my LR in for it's first service today, didn't mention anything about the column.

Last edited:
Finally my replacement steering column ordered on the 12th September has arrived. Car is booked in for 8th Feb so hopefully no more annoying clicking sounds for at least a few miles.

Finally my replacement steering column ordered on the 12th September has arrived. Car is booked in for 8th Feb so hopefully no more annoying clicking sounds for at least a few miles.
Have you heard the expression :- "Slow boat from China".
Well, it must have been a rowing boat then !.
Five months wait on a replacement part is ridiculous and unacceptable today really.
I mean, how many cars have they built in five months and they are still unable to supply one part !.
Have they supplied a complete steering column assembly or just the lower section of the universal joint, do you know ??.
Any chance you could ask the dealer to take some photo's ?.
I am sure forum members would like to see what has been replaced to cure this issue.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom