Steering gone on my 2021 ZS EV

Well, that does surprise me, I stand corrected.
It surprised me also !.
I have seen the Bosch name as a good sign of quality in the past, but SO much of this stuff is contracted out to cheaper labour work forces now !.
They can be great quality parts, but if they are assembled incorrectly, then that means nothing !.
Case in point :-
At first Tesla really struggled to produce a car with good panel gaps and decent paint quality.
Now the model 3 is built in China and will soon be built in Germany.
Early signs are, that the China built car is put together better.
Same bits, different quality gates !.
Need I say anymore ?.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but that IS a recall if I ever I have seen one !.
You can’t get anymore serious than THAT in my honest opinion !.
Complete steering failure is on the same level as a brake failure.
There must have been play at the steering wheel prior to this complete failure surely !.
One of of members who leave down under, has had the same UJ failure.
So, we know of two cars within this group that has failed with the same problem.
A failure like this on a car so young, is pretty much unheard of.
I believe the steering system is made by Bosch, so I am a little surprised by this I have to say.
Can you imagine the face of the tech who looks at this for the first time !.
I think the expression is ……. “OMG”.
Just been looking at the photos again.
At first, I was wondering if one of the UJ cups, had lost the retaining cir-clip, that would have allowed the cup to fall out, then it would allowed the UJ to fail.
But no, after studying the photo, all cups are present, but one cup has discarded ALL of its needle roller bearings ( and grease ) and allowed the UJ to disengage from the UJ yoke.
The cir-clip and cup is still in place, but has failed in dramatic style !.
My guess would be a failure when the UJ was first assembled and some of the needle bearings where pushed out.
UJ joints rarely fail if they assembled correctly and have sufficient lubrication.

View attachment 9184
Totally agree this is a very urgent recall matter

Has anyone had this on Gen2? My steering sounds like it’s “knocking” or “clicking” at times.
I have a gen 1 2020 Exclusive, I have always had a noice from the steering column somewhere, its been in twice before, 11th June went in for knocking from the sunroof and steering column also sloppy steering. Was told on leaving it at the garage that there was a recall, would not tell me what, the mechanics do not tell the sales staff anything. Picked up on the 14th and was told it needed a new steering column, did not know when it would be done, as it was ordered from China. I asked if it was safe to drive as we are going to Dorset on holiday soon and they said it was OK. I am how worried!!

It surprised me also !.
I have seen the Bosch name as a good sign of quality in the past, but SO much of this stuff is contracted out to cheaper labour work forces now !.
They can be great quality parts, but if they are assembled incorrectly, then that means nothing !.
Case in point :-
At first Tesla really struggled to produce a car with good panel gaps and decent paint quality.
Now the model 3 is built in China and will soon be built in Germany.
Early signs are, that the China built car is put together better.
Same bits, different quality gates !.
Need I say anymore ?.
A lot of mini glass , aircon controls and brake callipers come from China in containers in to Southampton then taken up to. Cowley 😉 some by my good self

Surprise surprise...
Time for a new dealer maybe?
Anyone asked Miles his take on this one?
This dealer is my second ahah. The first one was terrible. This one is ok and always reply to my questions within an hour.
Maybe we should share our car's id (in one of the menu i think) to see if this issue is related to a chassis's number or something.

This dealer is my second ahah. The first one was terrible. This one is ok and always reply to my questions within an hour.
Maybe we should share our car's id (in one of the menu i think) to see if this issue is related to a chassis's number or something.
I'd be wary of making public anything uniquely identifiable to the cars, but if there's a way of deducing build date or such that might narrow it down sufficiently?

Of course that's what MG should be looking at... wonder if they are🤔

Last edited:
1st thing we need to know if it's the same part no.
Screenshot_20220624_205043.jpg

This is off a petrol so if someone can get a picture of the MK1 part and a MK2 part
Because if the part has been superseded then the problem may of been fitted also if anyone can get a picture of one that's been replaced again we need to see the part No. It will be a bigger problem if there all the same

View attachment 9244
This is off a petrol so if someone can get a picture of the MK1 part and a MK2 part
Because if the part has been superseded then the problem may of been fitted also if anyone can get a picture of one that's been replaced again we need to see the part No. It will be a bigger problem if there all the same
Only if there's multiple consistent failures?

Could be a bad batch - but who knows how many are in a batch?🤷‍♂️

View attachment 9244
So my mk1 has same 10digit part? Code, different Q code & different date

We don't even know if it the same part number that's failing yet lucky at least there dated but part numbers are superseded all the time with inprovments

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom