The AEB has always been on on mine, until this evening, it’s now getting turned off with the LKA on every journey.

The AEB has went off twice with me in 3400 miles, and both time have been within a week of each other.

Last week, about quarter past midnight after back shift. M8 motorway, 40mph average speed cameras due to roadworks. No cars for at least a quarter mile ahead or behind me, cruise control set to 40 for the last mile, and all of a sudden, bang, brakes are slammed on hard out of nowhere, absolutely no reason and scared the hell out of me.

2nd time was this evening, sitting 2nd in queue at a red light, single carriage way. I was turning right, indicator on. Lights go green, first car goes straight on, I pull up slowly to the middle of the junction, slightly to the right, again, wallop! Brakes on hard to a stop. Was only doing maybe 4-5mph, didn’t stop me or the guy in the car behind me getting a scare. There was traffic coming the opposite direction on the carriage way, but nothing that should have kicked the AEB in.

To add insult to injury, I washed the car this evening and found more stone chips, this paint is crap! And I took the covers off the alloys to clean them and all my spokes have the “Z” scratch marks on them from the covers. Its booked in for the middle of the month to get the passenger door handle replace due to the button failing, so I’ll have a moan at the service guys while I’m in.

I’m just gonna live with it till it’s pcp is up, but I’ll not be buying another MG after this one. Sorry to say, I wish I kept the Megane or Mini order I had cancelled for this!

The MG4 is not the only EV to have this phantom braking issue, Teslas are renown for it with their auto pilot.
The annoying part is you have to turn off these so called 'safety features' at every restart apparently as you cannot permanently disable them after the latest update?

In saying that I have AEB by default on my current ICE car and whilst it has given me an orange flashing light and audible warnings on a few occasions they were legitimate and it has never caused the brakes to slam on.

I had a similar issue with the emergency braking coming on while i had the automatic cruise control on. ( I have a 2022 ZS EV with 320km range)
Initially I discussed it with the dealer I purchased th vehicle from
They gave me a load of BS, and basically said it was driver error.
I then contacted the New Zealand importer, told them it wasnt good enough
They readily agreed to an in warranty check ( at the dealership where I purchased the vehicle from)
End result was: radar was mis aligned, plus they did two software updates ( not sure of the detail)
Learning point is, dont take no for an answer , if you think there is something wrong with your vehicle, there probably is.
If you come at it from a safety perspective, they should get invloved in a remedy.
In New Zealand, we also have a Consumer Guarantee Act, amongst other things, the Act says that items must "be fit for purpose.

I had a different issue with a 2018 Kia Sportage, in certain circumstances the auto trans was lumpy. It was a known fault ( but not proactively remedied). A software update fixed the issue

My car has been back twice to the dealer for this issue and still does it . There is a software update which clearly hasnt solved the issue I have reported this to DVSA so hopefully they may put some pressure on MG.

One of the challenges with these sort of problems is that many of the reported incidents are not actually software issues but driver error.
There are also of course many genuine software and other fault related issues.
Dealers can get complacent and start to treat most reports as user error and not investigate as thoroughly as they should. Potentially profiling users as for example - ‘an older user who hasn’t experienced this technology before’.
If you do experience an issue like this, then It’s always useful to get as much knowledge as you can about how the system works and the circumstances when it occurred and to be well versed with this when discussing with the dealership.
Forums like this one are great for developing a better understanding.

Agreed , how does the AEB kick in , is it just from the camera, just from the radar or a combination of both . Disabling the camera turns it off, so that has a part to play , then my knowledge runs out.

I've had two false AEB activations.
In both instances it was when I was in the city overtaking parked bus and truck, where I moved into the oncoming lane with slow moving traffic and enough room to move by.
I think they use vehicle lane assignment for this feature. So it detects that I am in the same lane as the opposing car and it activates, regardless of the amount of extra room there.
Does anyone know how to turn this off? Does turning off lane assist solve the issue (albeit every time you get in the car!), cheers

Further down the screen where you turn off LKA there is the possibility of turning off AEB. However, most people are not reporting this issue and I think you should take the car to your dealer. A camera or a sensor might need to be recalibrate.

My MG4 Trophy has done it a couple of times when I was reversing into a parking space and I thought I had hit something the car stopped so quickly. You do feel like you have hit a brick wall. Especially embarrassing in traffic.

After a month and around 3000km I finally had one yesterday what I barely could explain. I'd like to blame the car, but after have another go on the same spot I realized that was me... well, at least what the car thinks.

Slight uphill right bend, narrow road, but good size lanes to both direction for one car. Someone parked on the left hand side of the road (my lane), and I noticed the upcoming car. So, I slowed down, put my indicator out to the right, and bam... the car stopped on the middle of the hill, road.

No traffic behind me, so at least nobody hit me.

The issue what I see. The car saw the parked car on the side of the road, the centerline, and the oncoming vehicle. Also noticed my speed (about15km/h at the time) and the activated indicator. Top of that, I presume, noticed the steering wheel was off center (right bend). Conclusion "...this bastard, wants to hit the oncoming car. I have to stop him..." so it did.

Unfortunately it will not boost my confidence and the trust in the "safety" features of this car, this is pretty much what I would do in any similar situation as I had plenty of space to slow down without a complete stop and roll back to speed after the coming car has passed.
So, dear software engineers at MG. Please, put some testing in to the R&D process... It would bring up a whole bunch of problem before the product hits the market and I can tell, costumers can be happy (or at least less frightened).

Great car, like the LKA alone wasn't enough to get you killed, you also have emergency braking which could get yourself and others killed.
Yep...I was really keen on these but that is one of the reasons I am going to pass on a purchase.
My wife and I just want a car that you can just get in and drive without worrying about turning dodgy 'features' off.
That and the fact that they are awkward for me to access and exit due to my declining years, but that is on me and most owners probably find they are fine. ;)

I hope you find a car that suits. One of the problems seems to be that new cars are all like this to some extent or another. The best you're likely to find as far as LKA is concerned is a single button-press to deactivate it rather than the MG4's complicated rummaging around in the infotainment screen.

Most people don't seem to have a problem with the emergency braking on the MG4, and it's something that seems to affect quite a wide range of cars. I have a suspicion it's actually something to do with camera or other adjustment in individual cars, rather than the MG4 (or indeed another specific model) as such.

I hope you find a car that suits. One of the problems seems to be that new cars are all like this to some extent or another. The best you're likely to find as far as LKA is concerned is a single button-press to deactivate it rather than the MG4's complicated rummaging around in the infotainment screen.

Most people don't seem to have a problem with the emergency braking on the MG4, and it's something that seems to affect quite a wide range of cars. I have a suspicion it's actually something to do with camera or other adjustment in individual cars, rather than the MG4 (or indeed another specific model) as such.
But the LKA on the steering wheel could easily be fixed

My MG4 Trophy has done it a couple of times when I was reversing into a parking space and I thought I had hit something the car stopped so quickly. You do feel like you have hit a brick wall. Especially embarrassing in traffic.
Me too. I got out to find what I'd hit & found nothing. It just went bang and stopped. I put it down to some weird anomaly & then on a trip I was reversing into a charger & it did it again. Same thing jumped out, had a look, found nothing & continued in to the charger. It was only then that the penny dropped that it was the auto emergency brake. I have no idea what it detected. There were no pedestrians or bits of rubbish etc being blown about.

Was something about to cross behind you? I live in a corner house and reverse out through a narrow gate (reversing beeps galore); the AEB activates when a car comes round the corner fast.

Driving out of a Morrison's supermarket at the weekend my MG4 suddenly decided to [for the want of a better phrase] emergency brake. This happened once before in the new year, but I out it down to a one off. Fortunately there was no one behind me, but it did give my passenger and I quite a shock. It was at an exit point with a street bollard nearby. I wonder if somehow the cars system my have mistook the bollard for a pedestrian, and if anyone else has had this problem/reported to a dealer? Once I've had feedback I can then discuss with my dealer. I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone else who have had this happen to them.
I believe I know what is going on.

In very slow traffic or coming to a stop, sometimes we let the car creep forward without having our foot on the brake. The car thinks it will hit the car in front and will emergency stop. This is more disconcerting than dangerous since the traffic is moving very slowly.

Solution, don't let the car creep forward. Cover the brake pedal with some small pressure and it will not do so.

I've had two false AEB activations.
In both instances it was when I was in the city overtaking parked bus and truck, where I moved into the oncoming lane with slow moving traffic and enough room to move by.
I think they use vehicle lane assignment for this feature. So it detects that I am in the same lane as the opposing car and it activates, regardless of the amount of extra room there.
I know what is going on. If you try to overtake a car by going into the opposite lane and a car is coming from the other direction the car TRIES to help by braking. To be frank most times this happens I should have waited. Anyway, if you think you have enough time to finish your manoeuvre just indicate first. If you indicate the car will not react.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back