Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

Yes I believe it is a £10.00 one off charge for the RFID card.
Thanks, I suspected as much but cannot see anywhere on their website saying there is a charge for it.
Just realised it is now covered by Electroverse so I will not be bothering. :)

Hi Gomev I don’t think there is well I didn’t pay anything for it and can’t recall ever being charged for it but Rookery above this says £10.
What I can tell you is this they also run Chargeplace Scotland (CPS) but I’m unsure you can use a BE.EV card on a CPS unit but I’m going there shortly and will try it out,
On the phone only last week I was told no you can’t use it
So I rang CPS to order one of there cards and they said I can
Anyhow I ordered there the CPS card to be on the safe side as they said there is no charge for it until I use it and then there is a one off £12 fee but I’m not worried because the CPS points many are Free and Many are 25-40 ppkw so it will pay for itself as many none CPS chargers are 75-85 ppkw.
Les

Hi I wrote in #132 about I had eMailed BeEv to ask if there cards could be used in Scotland on charge place Scotland chargers (CPS) I got no reply from that eMail so today on Friday last I rang BeEv who apologised and said no my BeEv card could not be used in Scotland.
So today I have applied for the CPS card over the phone as I will need it next in the next couple of weeks no problem at all very nice and helpful gentleman on the phone checked my online from which I had filled out over the weekend and said he will make sure I have the card within the week.
I told him about what BeEV had told me and he said well that’s incorrect as they are both run by Swarco network and you can use a BeEv card if you have one so confusing.

Anyhow I have taken the advice of fellow members of this forum Rolfe and DaveS and ordered myself a CPS card but when I do go I will try both and report my findings.
a
So thank you again to Rolfe and DaveS.
Les

Hi Les, is there any charge for the Be.Ev RFID card. I thought I would sign up as they seem to be spreading and their rates are reasonable. It said the RFID card would appear on my next invoice !! I haven't supplied payment details yet.

Yes I believe it is a £10.00 one off charge for the RFID card.

Thanks, I suspected as much but cannot see anywhere on their website saying there is a charge for it.
Just realised it is now covered by Electroverse so I will not be bothering. :)

Hi Gomev I don’t think there is well I didn’t pay anything for it and can’t recall ever being charged for it but Rookery above this says £10.
What I can tell you is this they also run Chargeplace Scotland (CPS) but I’m unsure you can use a BE.EV card on a CPS unit but I’m going there shortly and will try it out,
On the phone only last week I was told no you can’t use it
So I rang CPS to order one of there cards and they said I can
Anyhow I ordered there the CPS card to be on the safe side as they said there is no charge for it until I use it and then there is a one off £12 fee but I’m not worried because the CPS points many are Free and Many are 25-40 ppkw so it will pay for itself as many none CPS chargers are 75-85 ppkw.
Les
What does all of this have to do with Tesla supercharger compatibility. Please take this discussion elsewhere. You are polluting this topic.

What does all of this have to do with Tesla supercharger compatibility. Please take this discussion elsewhere. You are polluting this topic.
Not a lot really only we know the Tesla SC won’t work with some EVs the MG5 being one so when someone asks a question about an alternative I will do my best to give an answer no matter where or when it is asked like it or lump it thank you.
Les

So here it is, my MG5 LR Luxury facelift has received an update of the CCU controller in the car which should make it able to charge at the tesla supercharger, I still need to find some time to test this. At my dealership in the Netherlands they described this as a recall sw update of the CCU. So get your MG to the dealer and request them to update the CCU software, which is NOT the MCU software. @admin, please make this answer stand out in this topic!
Hi @jpvdheijn - have you managed to test yet if your updated CCU now allows charging at a Tesla Supercharger? Many thanks

Hi @franoreilly, the CCU update that had been done did not result in the car charging at the Tesla supercharger. I have contacted my dealer again since in the dutch tweakers topic there are others that have a more recent or updated MG5 that can charge at Tesla. To be continued

Hi @franoreilly, the CCU update that had been done did not result in the car charging at the Tesla supercharger. I have contacted my dealer again since in the dutch tweakers topic there are others that have a more recent or updated MG5 that can charge at Tesla. To be continued
yep please do keep us informed how that goes ... fingers crossed we can identify the crucial missing piece allowing those MG5s to charge

Not really new info - but tried the one at Lakeside as happened to be nearby - didn't recognise car

Not really new info - but tried the one at Lakeside as happened to be nearby - didn't recognise car
I'm pleased you tried it because I was thinking of trying again to see if it would work but you have saved me wasting my time. I'm still interested to see if the new Tesla V4 chargers will work on the MG5 pre facelift.

Not sure if any of you have seen the posts by @craggy but he managed to charge his FL MG5 at a Tesla supercharger after getting an update to his charging unit...

An article in Sweden suggests that earlier models do not have the Tesla protocol in software programmed and that MG europe is offering a update to make cars that do not have this yet compatible.

An article in Sweden suggests that earlier models do not have the Tesla protocol in software programmed and that MG europe is offering a update to make cars that do not have this yet compatible.

It reads to me that it refers to the early facelift models only because I don't believe Europe had the pre facelift model.

An article in Sweden suggests that earlier models do not have the Tesla protocol in software programmed and that MG Europe is offering a update...
What I don't understand is why a Tesla supercharger with a CCS-2 plug and configured to work with non-Tesla vehicles looks any different from the MG's perspective to any other CCS-2 charger. If everyone followed the standard, this problem should not be possible.

My guess is that MG took some sort of short cut, and got away with it with most of the other charger vendors. Teslas might be more strict in their insistence that the standard must be followed exactly.

Those are my armchair thoughts, without knowing any of the details of the CCS-2 charging protocol.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom