Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

Whilst on the subject of charging I mentioned a couple of months ago about driving up the Scotland for an 8 day holiday and thanks to Aled who advised me to get a Charge Place Scotland (CPS) RFID card I didn't need to consider Tesla SC because the charging was an absolute breeze. The CPS card worked every time and to have one card that worked on everything was so easy and prices were much cheaper than south of the border. On the way home I used the new Gridserve chargers, Instavolt and Osprey also without a hitch. My low battery warning system sitting next to me didn't activate once, what a result.😂

Whilst on the subject of charging I mentioned a couple of months ago about driving up the Scotland for an 8 day holiday and thanks to Aled who advised me to get a Charge Place Scotland (CPS) RFID card I didn't need to consider Tesla SC because the charging was an absolute breeze. The CPS card worked every time and to have one card that worked on everything was so easy and prices were much cheaper than south of the border. On the way home I used the new Gridserve chargers, Instavolt and Osprey also without a hitch. My low battery warning system sitting next to me didn't activate once, what a result.😂
So how come its so easy in Scotland with a Charge Place Scotland (CPS) RFID card? How is this not the same for the rest of the UK?

Tesla Supercharger Issue (MG5 EV) I signed up to the £10.99 subscription yesterday, I had used a supercharger successfully in Banbury (June 22) while the Osprey ones were faulty. It seems Tesla one of the cheapest chargers at the moment, so went for the subscription as I have a regular commute. Tried 4 different points in Banbury today without success, trying muliple times on each station. Ended up using some Bonnet credit in the end to get me home. I was passing Flint mountain Tesla superchargers so tried multiple times in 2 stations. The error I always received was "no car detected plug in to charge" a few times I had to wait a while for the connection to be released. I tried everything I know how to do, it should have just worked. I couldn't find a number to call but I would imagine it would have been of little help. is there anybody who uses these regularly that could offer any guidance?
I've also tried to charge at Flint Mountain in my ZS, with the same outcome. Also didnt help that the mobile signal was poor and made connecting even more challenging. I have tried a few times as I go to N Wales often but have never succeeded. Going to try the MG4 when I go up next time, and will update on any success!

At about 3.00pm today I tried to use the Superchargers at the Celtic Manor, Newport. We tried two stalls (3C and 3D) I know 3C was working because a Tesla had just vacated it.
When trying to charge the Tesla app says ‘No car connected) and car says there is a fault.
Other non Tesla vehicles were charging successfully on other stalls. We managed to get half an hours free charge on an adjacent Tesla 7Kw charger , it was enough to get us to our destination.
We checked on You Tube and found a contributor,
EVIAN I think. In one of his notes he suggested Tesla were restricting MGs use due to a safety issue ie. the connector could be removed whilst charge is in progress. Anyone else heard this?

Not true when I charged on Tesla last October had to stop charge before I could unplug, charged fine last year. Have tried same chargers this year and they don't work on MG5's ,car has had no updates since I have owned it so can't say some obscure update has stopped it from working.

I agree that isn't true because when I tried to charge and the SC showed "no car detected" I tried removing it and it was locked into my car and it took several attempts at locking and unlocking to release it.

So how come its so easy in Scotland with a Charge Place Scotland (CPS) RFID card? How is this not the same for the rest of the UK?
Careful what you wish for. The English version is Charge your Car, so bad it has virtually disappeared. If you try going to Scotland without the Chargeplace Scotland RFID card, you will struggle. It's basically a disparate set of local authority provided chargepoints that share a single network operator.

For some reason there are a load of Charge point Scotland locations in the North West of England centred on Manchester. Check the app

I've also tried to charge at Flint Mountain in my ZS, with the same outcome. Also didnt help that the mobile signal was poor and made connecting even more challenging. I have tried a few times as I go to N Wales often but have never succeeded. Going to try the MG4 when I go up next time, and will update on any success!
I live near Flint Mountain. I will use at as a test location when I get home.

They have blocked , I have emailed Tesla asking when it’s returning but not holding out hope for a reply….
Thanks for that. It helps to make sense of what is going on.
I agree that isn't true because when I tried to charge and the SC showed "no car detected" I tried removing it and it was locked into my car and it took several attempts at locking and unlocking to release it.
Much the same as my experience at Newport.

Not true when I charged on Tesla last October had to stop charge before I could unplug, charged fine last year. Have tried same chargers this year and they don't work on MG5's ,car has had no updates since I have owned it so can't say some obscure update has stopped it from working.
I think it’s possible the situation has changed recently. There is a post from Haydentotty who has contacted Tesla regarding this.

For some reason there are a load of Charge point Scotland locations in the North West of England centred on Manchester. Check the app
Well I was surprised to read you post saying Charge place Scotland are in the Manchester area and your quite right according to CPS app, now the strange thing is they don’t show up on ZAPMaps on further investigation the ones on the CPS app are actually operated by BeEv which’s operates in Greater Manchester I use them some times so they may be part of the same group as CPS I have Emailed BeEV to verify and will update if a get a reply
Les

If you look on the CPS map there's a lot of BeEV chargers in the Liverpool area. It's possible that they chose to use the Chargeplace Scotland network as it's pre existing instead of creating their own network and it's not a competitor.

Sorry to conclude but this topic at the moment is not generating any usefull information for owners. To add here some usefull information:

Tomorrow I have my appointment with the dealer to resolve warranty issues on our Facelift LR luxury. One of these items is not being to charge at the supercharger and i recorded a session for the dealer to prove this. On the german forum there is stated that there is a resolution for this but it requires the ECU modules in the car the be updated by the dealer with the latest SW. So NOT the MCU SW. I have requested this to my dealer and will report on the progress.

So here it is, my MG5 LR Luxury facelift has received an update of the CCU controller in the car which should make it able to charge at the tesla supercharger, I still need to find some time to test this. At my dealership in the Netherlands they described this as a recall sw update of the CCU. So get your MG to the dealer and request them to update the CCU software, which is NOT the MCU software. @admin, please make this answer stand out in this topic!

So here it is, my MG5 LR Luxury facelift has received an update of the CCU controller in the car which should make it able to charge at the tesla supercharger, I still need to find some time to test this. At my dealership in the Netherlands they described this as a recall sw update of the CCU. So get your MG to the dealer and request them to update the CCU software, which is NOT the MCU software. @admin, please make this answer stand out in this topic!
Now it's done let us know if it has worked after you try it.

Hi I wrote in #132 about I had eMailed BeEv to ask if there cards could be used in Scotland on charge place Scotland chargers (CPS) I got no reply from that eMail so today on Friday last I rang BeEv who apologised and said no my BeEv card could not be used in Scotland.
So today I have applied for the CPS card over the phone as I will need it next in the next couple of weeks no problem at all very nice and helpful gentleman on the phone checked my online from which I had filled out over the weekend and said he will make sure I have the card within the week.
I told him about what BeEV had told me and he said well that’s incorrect as they are both run by Swarco network and you can use a BeEv card if you have one so confusing.

Anyhow I have taken the advice of fellow members of this forum Rolfe and DaveS and ordered myself a CPS card but when I do go I will try both and report my findings.
a
So thank you again to Rolfe and DaveS.
Les

Hi I wrote in #132 about I had eMailed BeEv to ask if there cards could be used in Scotland on charge place Scotland chargers (CPS) I got no reply from that eMail so today on Friday last I rang BeEv who apologised and said no my BeEv card could not be used in Scotland.
So today I have applied for the CPS card over the phone as I will need it next in the next couple of weeks no problem at all very nice and helpful gentleman on the phone checked my online from which I had filled out over the weekend and said he will make sure I have the card within the week.
I told him about what BeEV had told me and he said well that’s incorrect as they are both run by Swarco network and you can use a BeEv card if you have one so confusing.

Anyhow I have taken the advice of fellow members of this forum Rolfe and DaveS and ordered myself a CPS card but when I do go I will try both and report my findings.
a
So thank you again to Rolfe and DaveS.
Les
Hi Les, is there any charge for the Be.Ev RFID card. I thought I would sign up as they seem to be spreading and their rates are reasonable. It said the RFID card would appear on my next invoice !! I haven't supplied payment details yet.

Hi Les, is there any charge for the Be.Ev RFID card. I thought I would sign up as they seem to be spreading and their rates are reasonable. It said the RFID card would appear on my next invoice !! I haven't supplied payment details yet.
Yes I believe it is a £10.00 one off charge for the RFID card.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom