Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

I'm going up the A11 on Monday and will need a squirt of juice.

Given the problems, I presume it's not worth even considering in the Tesla charging at Elvedon, as I don't want to waste time on unlikely-to-be-successful chargers.

(I think I will be OK to get to Thetford but I am planning an earlier top just in case I have a heavy foot that day!! So any other suggestions appreciated)
Moral of the story is we dump our MG's and all buy Teslas !!!! NOT:-(

Given the problems, I presume it's not worth even considering in the Tesla charging at Elvedon, as I don't want to waste time on unlikely-to-be-successful chargers.

(I think I will be OK to get to Thetford but I am planning an earlier top just in case I have a heavy foot that day!! So any other suggestions appreciated)
I had a few minutes to spare yesterday and so I tried out the supercharger at Sidcup. My FL Trophy just gave an error message along the lines of "Abnormal supply" and so I gave in. I had to lock/unlock a couple of times to get the car to release the cable but it didn't take long.
I was hoping that it might work because I have a Eurotunnel trip booked in the next few weeks and it would have been great to use the supercharger in the terminal at Folkstone while I wait for my train.

Tried the Tesla chargers in Aberystwyth last week, Nog would not recognise car, did use these back in October with no problems my car has not been in for any updates since October so nothing has changed on my car, so my feeling is Tesla have done some sort of update that renders the useless to us. MG 5 LR Excite

That's only about 130 miles (if going Wokingham as on your avatar to Thetford) you'll do that easily with 30-40% left in a LR.
I did 146 miles the other day in temperatures down to 6 degrees, heater on half way and returned home with 33%. Driving in Normal mode.

Doesn't your car trigger the rather intrusive auto panic alarm when you get to about 50%?

Mine does, though I do get out sometimes on my own :)
Yep mine has one of them as well but I've developed selective hearing.

Seriously I think that must be a fairly common thing but my auto alarm is actually getting a little more relaxed...not totally but a bit better......

I have a trip from Leeds to Lowestoft coming up soonish and am aiming to get to Norwich Gridserve hub for my top up, 182 miles according to Google. If things look dodgy I have alternative earlier sites in mind such as Necton Instavolts at 151 miles, or even at Kings Lynn if the panic alarm gets too loud. :)

Last edited:
I've had a couple instances DC chargers cause a "System Fault" on my MG5 LR which then renders the car unable to move or do anything.

Both times that happened leaving the car alone in the locked state for several minutes (long enough for the computers to go back to sleep) cleared it.

If it happens again I may try seeing if I can clear it via something like carscanner or worst case pulling the 12v connection (I have a spanner/screwdriver in the glove box now just in case)

I've only charged a handful of times on DC and had it happen twice, the second time the same charger then happily charged the car after about 10minuts of faffing.
Yesterday I drove down to Devon 250 mile with 1 charge stop. I used Instavolt which worked perfectly. Apparently these chargers were 120 kW but I maxed at 47 kW a bit disappointing. Anyway we had a nice lunch and when we got back to the car it was on 95% happy days. I am putting the low charge speed down to 51% soc on arrival.

Yesterday I drove down to Devon 250 mile with 1 charge stop. I used Instavolt which worked perfectly. Apparently these chargers were 120 kW but I maxed at 47 kW a bit disappointing. Anyway we had a nice lunch and when we got back to the car it was on 95% happy days. I am putting the low charge speed down to 51% soc on arrival.
Or the chargers can only deliver 120KW if it's a 800v based platform and/or the other one is not in use.

I know from reading the side plate the 150KW ones at the last MFG garage I visited can only do that at 800v and at 400v it's more like 80KW (For some reason I only got ~30KW though and there was only me and one other car there).

Received the following today in response to an email asking Tesla about MG's on their superchargers a while back
Apologies for the delay.

I can confirm that at the moment, MG EV vehicles are still blocked from using the open Tesla superchargers.

Tesla is unable to accommodate vehicles that do not fully comply with CCS communication and safety protocols. If you encounter any issues while charging your vehicle, reach out to Tesla Customer Support or your vehicle manufacturer.

We have reached out to MG to investigate further.

Thank you for contacting Tesla, If we can be any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yep mine has one of them as well but I've developed selective hearing.

Seriously I think that must be a fairly common thing but my auto alarm is actually getting a little more relaxed...not totally but a bit better......

I have a trip from Leeds to Lowestoft coming up soonish and am aiming to get to Norwich Gridserve hub for my top up, 182 miles according to Google. If things look dodgy I have alternative earlier sites in mind such as Necton Instavolts at 151 miles, or even at Kings Lynn if the panic alarm gets too loud. :)
If you are on the A1 the Moto at Grantham has about 8 new gridserve chargers. I saw them fenced off over Easter weekend and they are showing on zap map now. Not that it helps us there are 350kw chargers there!

Downside is Moto service stations are grim!

Hi Les @Les burrows.
Strangely enough I was watching EV Nick's latest video only last night, in his piece he covered issues people are find using CCS charging on the move, of course the Tesla super charging network got a mention.
He reported that many non Tesla owners, where having a real problems trying to commence a charge on some / all of the Tesla units.
MG cars being the most trouble some.
He went on to say that he has had it on very good authority, that it is a software issue in MG cars and NOT the super chargers themselves that are to blame.
Remember there is only a small limited number of Tesla super charges ( on trail ) open to NON Tesla cars anyway in the UK at the moment.
I think from memory it is only 15 Tesla super charger units covering the length of the country, so you would be lucky to find one on your travels anyway.
One of the very chosen few units, are based fairly close to our home address strangely enough.
Handy for my neighbour who has a model 3.

If you are on the A1 the Moto at Grantham has about 8 new gridserve chargers. I saw them fenced off over Easter weekend and they are showing on zap map now. Not that it helps us there are 350kw chargers there!

Downside is Moto service stations are grim!
Thanks for that, but I will be turning onto the A17 at Newark. Not the fastest of roads but quicker overall. Hopefully should aid the economy to get me to Norwich in one go.
Last time I went to Norfolk (Hunstanton) was my first long trip in an EV, the Mk1 ZS and I stopped for top ups at Newark and then Kings Lynn to fill up ready for my jollees.
What a difference that extra 90 miles of WLTP does for you.

I will be turning onto the A17 at Newark. Not the fastest of roads but quicker overall.

As someone who lives less than 2 miles from the A17 in Lincolnshire and who also travels periodically into Norfolk along it, I would whole-heartedly agree with this!

MG's anwser was basically the newer vehicles should work so it doesn't sound like they're aware of the latest updates from the tesla side.

MG's anwser was basically the newer vehicles should work so it doesn't sound like they're aware of the latest updates from the tesla side.
Hi well they don’t work I stopped at Banbury supercharger hub on Friday last week tried a couple of them there, Tesla app says vehicle not recognised face lifted MG 5 Trophy
Les

Last edited:
14 superchargers newly installed a couple of miles from me, and open to anyone.

Sadly i have a MG5 so the wait continues.

14 superchargers newly installed a couple of miles from me, and open to anyone.

Sadly i have a MG5 so the wait continues.
Useful to have rapids close to home if you aren't able to charge at home, otherwise of no benefit at all.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom