Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

Looks like MGs can be charged again

Attachments

• 840C6EB8-3105-4748-8AC6-E10AC886F2C4.png
    840C6EB8-3105-4748-8AC6-E10AC886F2C4.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 185
When I tried one of Gridserv's dual CCS units not only did it not charge but it caused a system fault on the car that I had to leave it off for a few minutes to clear.

That said my MG5 has issues at the moment anyway, so I can't be 100% confident it was gridserves fault.

This worked Yesterday so either gridserve have fixed their chargers or the software fix I had for the "Check HV battery" issues I was having fixed it from MG's side.

On my trip last month I had a problem with Gridserve I plugged in etc and seemed to be connecting and then it came up with "internal error" and wouldn't charge. I'm not sure whether internal error was the charger or my car.🤔
So I gave up and it would not release the cable from my car,
it took several attempts at locking and unlocking before it released. The next 2 services on the M4 were busy but eventually on the third services Gridserve worked very well. Relief, it shouldn't be this way.

When I tried one of Gridserv's dual CCS units not only did it not charge but it caused a system fault on the car that I had to leave it off for a few minutes to clear.

That said my MG5 has issues at the moment anyway, so I can't be 100% confident it was gridserves fault.
I had the same error on a Gridserve doubleheader at Stanstead Services on M11 on Friday evening 7/1/23 but on 4th attempt it worked, although only at 24 kW until the other EV sharing finish his charge the speed jumped to 48 kW so clearly no increase in supply capacity from the old 50 kW Ecotricity they replaced

until the other EV sharing finish his charge the speed jumped to 48 kW so clearly no increase in supply capacity from the old 50 kW Ecotricity they replaced

That's pants. But apparently they have been promised a capacity increase from the DNOs after pressure from the Government so hopefully the speeds will improve.

My last attempt at one of these double headed machines (1 CCS and 1 Chademo) stopped the charge for the LEAF that was already charging on the other head. :oops: I then stopped mine and the LEAF was able to restart theirs, but very embarrassing.

I had 41kw on one of the supposed gridserv high power chargers yesterday, I think I was at 41% SOC when I arrived, but the cable wasn't vibrating so not sure if it was a cooling failure.

Also did a 2nd stop at one of the dual CCS units futher up the motorway which I may have gotten awway with not doing but I was only getting 2.6 miles/kwh and I only had 15miles or margin on the GOM.

Ideally i'd not be rapid chargingso close together but the next bit of the journey had slim pickings in terms of available chargers. (A69)

I had the same error on a Gridserve doubleheader at Stanstead Services on M11 on Friday evening 7/1/23 but on 4th attempt it worked, although only at 24 kW until the other EV sharing finish his charge the speed jumped to 48 kW so clearly no increase in supply capacity from the old 50 kW Ecotricity they replaced

You're lucky. The Birchanger services (M11 junction for Stansted) are the only rapid charger near me (also for a town on 30k people unless they have Teslas) so I've used them a few times and in December you could only use one charger per unit at a time. I called the service line to check and they confirmed that only one per station would work, contrary to the instructions on the screen.

It's a bit pathetic really isn't it?

There were definitely some places I wouldn't have wanted to go with my old leaf as I'd probably be too far away from a charger.

On my trip last month I had a problem with Gridserve I plugged in etc and seemed to be connecting and then it came up with "internal error" and wouldn't charge. I'm not sure whether internal error was the charger or my car.🤔
So I gave up and it would not release the cable from my car,
it took several attempts at locking and unlocking before it released. The next 2 services on the M4 were busy but eventually on the third services Gridserve worked very well. Relief, it shouldn't be this way.
Was the 'internal error' message displayed in the car or on the charger ? There may be the answer as to which had the internal error. :)

I was seeing the error message on the charger at Birchanger Services
So that would lead to the conclusion that the charger had an internal error, otherwise it would have been an external error if it was the car at fault. :)

So that would lead to the conclusion that the charger had an internal error, otherwise it would have been an external error if it was the car at fault. :)
Driving a ZS Trophy LR I've had the same error at Birchanger services. Before and after a Gridserve system reset of the charger. My car seemed to make the charger fall over. Other makes and a Mk1 ZS charged successfully from that charger, before and after. (I was there a long time). Eventually I hooked up to the adjacent charger and after a few tries got a connection. On that charger I took over from a Kia and he had to have several attempts - and a phone call to Gridserve - to get going.
On the other hand the Gridserve chargers at Stop24 near Folkestone have worked for me first time on all occasions and they are my reliable last and first charge point when travelling to and from France. Last time out the Gridserves were occupied and I tried the nearby Ionity chargers using my electric juice card. What a huge quality uplift. 40% faster and with the 8% Intelligent Octopus discount probably a bit cheaper.

Driving a ZS Trophy LR I've had the same error at Birchanger services. Before and after a Gridserve system reset of the charger. My car seemed to make the charger fall over. Other makes and a Mk1 ZS charged successfully from that charger, before and after. (I was there a long time). Eventually I hooked up to the adjacent charger and after a few tries got a connection. On that charger I took over from a Kia and he had to have several attempts - and a phone call to Gridserve - to get going.
On the other hand the Gridserve chargers at Stop24 near Folkestone have worked for me first time on all occasions and they are my reliable last and first charge point when travelling to and from France. Last time out the Gridserves were occupied and I tried the nearby Ionity chargers using my electric juice card. What a huge quality uplift. 40% faster and with the 8% Intelligent Octopus discount probably a bit cheaper.
When I had the problems at the Birchanger Dual-headed charger there was an MG5 charging on the adjacent Single-header charger I should have spoken to him and asked if he was having issues. And when he moved off I was tempted to move over 1 bay but thought it might charge faster but "a bird in the hand etc.", after all, I was getting 24 kW and who knows I might not have been able to start a charge if I moved.

Looks like MGs can be charged again
Sort of. I went to my local Tesla supercharger this morning (Sidcup), and the first stall I tried gave the dreaded "no car detected plug in to charge" (The car could see the charger, but the charger couldn't see the car.)

Moved to the next stall, and it worked fine, with a rate of 133kw. Mine is the MG4 Trophy.

I live about a mile from the Wokingham Tesla SC site. I'll give it a try this afternoon and let you know if I can get it working on my MG5 LR yet. It stopped working for me late last year, like everyone else.

I live about a mile from the Wokingham Tesla SC site. I'll give it a try this afternoon and let you know if I can get it working on my MG5 LR yet. It stopped working for me late last year, like everyone else.
I’d be interested in this, thanks. Last weekend tried again at Cambridge and still getting a ‘car not detected’ error in my pre-Facelift MG5LR

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom