Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

I think it's the MG5 and ZS only that have been blocked by Tesla. The MG4 as far as I know is still ok to use the superchargers.

Tried my MG5 LR pre facelift in Banbury Supercharger today on 2 bays, same issue as my original post.

I've had the same original issue yesterday and the day before. I tried several chargers at two different stations. With a MG Marvel R.

I've had the same original issue yesterday and the day before. I tried several chargers at two different stations. With a MG Marvel R.
I haven't tried my MG5 LR pre facelift yet on Tesla chargers but I will hopefully be trying it in the coming week or so I will report back here on how I get on.

Yesterday I attempted to charge my MG5 LR at a Tesla charger but the Tesla app kept showing "car not detected " I tried 2 different chargers but the same on both. A driver of a Kia e Niro who was charging kindly offered his help but no luck.
I have tried phoning MG HQ but I keep getting a recorded message of try later so I have emailed them twice but no response.
I would have thought a software update would cure it.

Yesterday I attempted to charge my MG5 LR at a Tesla charger but the Tesla app kept showing "car not detected " I tried 2 different chargers but the same on both. A driver of a Kia e Niro who was charging kindly offered his help but no luck.
I have tried phoning MG HQ but I keep getting a recorded message of try later so I have emailed them twice but no response.
I would have thought a software update would cure it.
Anecdotal evidence says that the pre-facelift vehicles still can’t charge, but newer cars (facelift MG5 and MG4) can…

Anecdotal evidence says that the pre-facelift vehicles still can’t charge, but newer cars (facelift MG5 and MG4) can…
Yes I have heard that. I wouldn't have thought they would change much hardware wise to keep costs down so I'm hoping it's just a software problem that they can fix. 🤞

Is this still the case, I'd ask Tesla but I can't find any obvious way of contacting supercharger support.
I presume I'd need to download the app and setup an account first.

I contacted my MG dealership about my MG5 pre facelift not charging on Tesla chargers and asked if there was a software update to enable charging at Tesla chargers and the reply from a technician was "No there isn't, 150 kW Tesla chargers are too powerful and the battery will overheat". Personally I think that is a load of rubbish. I thought my car battery decided how much power it would take and not dictated by the charger. I have charged on 150kW chargers (non Tesla) and my car only took 80kW max.with no problems. I feel like I was fobbed off by someone who didn't know the answer.

I contacted my MG dealership about my MG5 pre facelift not charging on Tesla chargers and asked if there was a software update to enable charging at Tesla chargers and the reply from a technician was "No there isn't, 150 kW Tesla chargers are too powerful and the battery will overheat". Personally I think that is a load of rubbish. I thought my car battery decided how much power it would take and not dictated by the charger. I have charged on 150kW chargers (non Tesla) and my car only took 80kW max.with no problems. I feel like I was fobbed off by someone who didn't know the answer.

Yes it is rubbish. The car decides what power it takes from the charger not the other way round. This is incidentally universal for all rechargeable appliances, phones, laptops, tablets, cars, the device controls charging speed.

I've tried asking Tesla what the latest is with the MG5 (They don't make it easy to find the contact form) so will see if they reply.

I do think we need to get to the bottom of this. It doesn't seem right that we can't use arguably the most reliable chargers out there.

In Portugal, all new Tesla chargers are blocked by law until Tesla update their software & allow universal access to all via their MOBI network thus forcing standardisation.

Tesla will not win that one!

This weekend in the Netherlands i tried a supercharger and it did not work. I called Tesla and the helpsupport mentioned no models of MG are currently able to charge from the superchargers. Tesla is still investigating this. Mailing Tesla does not work, just call the support number on their website.

Thanks for the information.
Today I emailed MG to find their take on the Tesla charger problem and when I receive a reply I will post it.

This weekend in the Netherlands i tried a supercharger and it did not work. I called Tesla and the helpsupport mentioned no models of MG are currently able to charge from the superchargers. Tesla is still investigating this. Mailing Tesla does not work, just call the support number on their website.
Probably would have if I needed to know urgently but there isn't a nearby open access supercharger to me.

There's one I might have used on a trip (which is why I wanted to know)

Probably would have if I needed to know urgently but there isn't a nearby open access supercharger to me.

There's one I might have used on a trip (which is why I wanted to know)
Same for me, I will be going on a driving holiday taking in Scotland and it would be nice if they were available to us.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom