• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

When I checked the remarks on the Tesla super-charger in Northumberland I see that some MG4 owners have successfully charged. It is very confusing what is going on with MG/Tesla. 😳

When I checked the remarks on the Tesla super-charger in Northumberland I see that some MG4 owners have successfully charged. It is very confusing what is going on with MG/Tesla. 😳
At least on the four different Tesla Supercharger I have tried so far, here in Sweden, I have successfully charged my MG4 Trophy.

However, it’s the MG5 (and maybe other models as well) that are having trouble using Superchargers.
I know that from own experience, owning also the FL MG5 LR.

My advice is to stay clear of them, at least until it’s been confirmed to be solved by MG somehow.

There's a hotel in Hampshire with a Tesla slow charger which is open to all cars. I used to charge my Ioniq for free whenever we stayed there. Very disappointed, but not surprised, that my MG5 LR wouldn't charge. It knew it was connected but refused to charge despite me trying all sorts of locking/unlocking/rebooting procedures.

Tried 3 Tesla SC’s at Lakeside today. No joy. Also for the last few months I’ve not been able to charge my MG5 at Gridserve HPC units. Makes it difficult to think of doing long journeys.

Tried 3 Tesla SC’s at Lakeside today. No joy. Also for the last few months I’ve not been able to charge my MG5 at Gridserve HPC units. Makes it difficult to think of doing long journeys.
I have previously charged my MG5 in Birmingham.
551B9E36-D368-4055-A073-23D15F5066C1.jpeg

Really ! I've been doing long journeys for going on 3 years and have never used a Tesla charger and a Gridserve only once. There are plenty of others out there :)

Really ! I've been doing long journeys for going on 3 years and have never used a Tesla charger and a Gridserve only once. There are plenty of others out there :)
I understand that. Haven’t needed to use them very often. The MG5 can cover the miles, but had planned a trip over on the continent (later this year) based on stops at Tesla SC’s. Gonna have to re-plan and hope other brands don’t stop supporting MG’s.

I've just been looking at the Tesla app - Charge your Non-Tesla, and loads of locations are showing up, way more than the original 15 locations that were advertised.
Tried Googling it and only find mentions of the 15 and no updates to say more have been opened up.
So, have more been opened up or is the app telling me porkies ?

I've just been looking at the Tesla app - Charge your Non-Tesla, and loads of locations are showing up, way more than the original 15 locations that were advertised.
Tried Googling it and only find mentions of the 15 and no updates to say more have been opened up.
So, have more been opened up or is the app telling me porkies ?
Somebody in another thread suggested that the number had increased to 20+ units now.
Although I have no way of verifying this figure sorry !.

Somebody in another thread suggested that the number had increased to 20+ units now.
Although I have no way of verifying this figure sorry !.
Exactly, there are many more than 20 showing in the app, about 10 around London alone but no news.
The Tesla app was updated on 6th June but I hadn't checked it for ages as had no need/unable to use their chargers.

I understand that. Haven’t needed to use them very often. The MG5 can cover the miles, but had planned a trip over on the continent (later this year) based on stops at Tesla SC’s. Gonna have to re-plan and hope other brands don’t stop supporting MG’s.
For my own sanity I headed to a pretty new MFG site (Collier Row) and the HPC worked straight away first time and had the highest throughput I’ve ever seen for my MG5. 90.9kW!

Attachments

• E103408B-7F5C-4459-A4D4-92D65FF0BD31.jpeg
    E103408B-7F5C-4459-A4D4-92D65FF0BD31.jpeg
    444.3 KB · Views: 69
  • C32167ED-52B5-4980-9142-ABC9A88E9752.jpeg
    C32167ED-52B5-4980-9142-ABC9A88E9752.jpeg
    668.8 KB · Views: 76
  • EC701C26-FF0B-4016-9D59-6848CDD3EAC1.jpeg
    EC701C26-FF0B-4016-9D59-6848CDD3EAC1.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 75
  • A4C08B02-B257-4036-9FDF-069BCBC7D0E0.jpeg
    A4C08B02-B257-4036-9FDF-069BCBC7D0E0.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 62
So far only EDP units at McDonalds in Portugal say no for me

I've just returned from a Southampton/Leeds trip and exclusively used Gridserve for all charging on my Pre-face lift 5LR with absolutely no problems... seeing 75kw/hr rates now the good weather is here again as well...

I've just returned from a Southampton/Leeds trip and exclusively used Gridserve for all charging on my Pre-face lift 5LR with absolutely no problems... seeing 75kw/hr rates now the good weather is here again as well...
That sounds promising. I’ll have to make a plan to retest their chargers.
I tested a PodPoint Tritium 50kW this morning in my local Tesco and that was okay too.

I've just tried the Tesla chargers at the merry hill centre in West mids, no luck for me in a pre face lift sr
Mg5

Last edited:
Tesla's charging is impressive though... went to a Tesla meet with a friend in his Tesla and we returned via Compton Abbas airfield, which necessitated charging on the A303... Tesla Superchargers at Amesbury... drive in, plug car in, walk away to the Costa. Buy 2 coffees and walk back and the car is up to 70% already, with no interaction from the driver. Press the button to remove the plug and off we go... excellent charging experience. Very envious...

Tesla's charging is impressive though... went to a Tesla meet with a friend in his Tesla and we returned via Compton Abbas airfield, which necessitated charging on the A303... Tesla Superchargers at Amesbury... drive in, plug car in, walk away to the Costa. Buy 2 coffees and walk back and the car is up to 70% already, with no interaction from the driver. Press the button to remove the plug and off we go... excellent charging experience. Very envious...
That is 90% why people who cover a lot of miles favour the Tesla models.
Tesla build a car and a charging network that is fully 100% compatible with each other.
It just works - end of conversation !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom