Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

What I don't understand is why a Tesla supercharger with a CCS-2 plug and configured to work with non-Tesla vehicles looks any different from the MG's perspective to any other CCS-2 charger. If everyone followed the standard, this problem should not be possible.

My guess is that MG took some sort of short cut, and got away with it with most of the other charger vendors. Teslas might be more strict in their insistence that the standard must be followed exactly.

Those are my armchair thoughts, without knowing any of the details of the CCS-2 charging protocol.
I found that EDP chargers at McDonalds in Portugal do not work with the MG5.

The biggest issue seems with pre-facelift MG5s is their slow response to initiation of charge. Those EDP units said that the car had failed to respond just before the car actually initiated a response. I guess that the Tesla units have the same issue but do not report this.

I asked MG UK if there are any updates relating to Tesla Supercharger compatablity and if there was a software update available.

The anwser is someone opaque

Thank you for contacting MG Motor UK Ltd.

However, we do not have concerns relating to Tesla. Our vehicles are compatible when software is correct and up to date.

I took mine FL MG5 in to local dealer having requested the fabled update to allow charging on the Tesla network. When I booked it they said they'd need to plug car in to check update availability of the various modules, but it sounded like only a vehicle controller (I think he said...) update was available.

Needless to say I still couldn't charge at the open Tesla charger near me.

I've emailed the dealer back with more specific requests about what updates may be available and sharing the experience of some MG5 FL owners who have had the update to charge at Tesla sites, awaiting a reply...

I've gone back to MG-UK and asked them to confirm if there is an update to the Preface lift MG5 and to ask when it was released the version of software I have at the moment doesn't like the Tesla chargers as I tried it when visiting a friend a few weeks back.

Even if I do get a software update I probably won't be able to test it for a while as there aren't any open access sites near me.

It would be nice if it could be made to work given Tesla sites are sometimes cheaper than the alternatives, but also they have a few locations where they have a lot of chargers.

Well, given all of the failed attempts to charge MG5s listed here I wasn't hopeful that I'd be able to report something positive.

A little back history, a couple of years ago we had charged our 2021 MG5 LR at Tesla Superchargers without issue. A few months ago we tried again at the Wokingham site, tried 4 times and no success, having used this one before.

A couple of days later the car was due in for a service (Glyn Hopkin St Albans) and I explained the issue we'd had. They told me after the service they had done 5 software updates (not sure if that included the CCU) and sadly I don't have the list of updates, which they did show me on the service sheet at the time.

Since then I haven't been near a Supercharger until yesterday at Grays (Lakeside Shopping Centre) - on the way down to visit family in Kent.

I had also read this thread Tesla Supercharger Tip (Trafford Centre) prior to going.

So we called in briefly on the way down, and it worked, but I did follow the instructions above too. We didn't need to charge, so headed down to Kent, and then on return late yesterday evening heading back, and same result using the procedure above it worked just fine.

No idea whether it was the software update or the procedure above or the combination of the 2, but it was only 47p/kWh off peak, so we were happy. Next time we get a chance I'll try without the procedure above to see if that makes any difference.

I'd be interested to know what others find.

Hope that helps at least someone out there!
Mick

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, so sounds like either MG or Tesla may have updated something then will certainly ask about it when mine goes in, should be the same garage that installed the patch to stop the check HV battery problems my car had originally, so hopefully they're on the ball with software updates.

MG5 Facelift -
I tried several chargers at the newly opened Tesla Superchargers (V4's) at Trentham, tried 3 different chargers with the app, phone and card, took 3 £20 deposits, (hopefully I get these back!?) but refused to start a charge...
Most annoying as I was on a 600 mile trip and really couldn't afford to be faffing around with extra time/distance, I heard they'd been opened and didn't even consider they wouldn't work for my MG5, and the cheaper cost would have saved more than a few quid all round...

Is it MG or Tesla?

MG5 Facelift -
I tried several chargers at the newly opened Tesla Superchargers (V4's) at Trentham, tried 3 different chargers with the app, phone and card, took 3 £20 deposits, (hopefully I get these back!?) but refused to start a charge...
Most annoying as I was on a 600 mile trip and really couldn't afford to be faffing around with extra time/distance, I heard they'd been opened and didn't even consider they wouldn't work for my MG5, and the cheaper cost would have saved more than a few quid all round...

Is it MG or Tesla?
Its MG. I'm currently trying to track down which update is needed to get it to work. It might help if you also contact MG customer support. The more of us that make a fuss the more likely they are to actually give us some real information.

Hi all. Out in France atm. Tried to charge at Tesla’s Bourg-Achard units but no luck. Units just didn’t even see the car. Luckily it’s right next to a 120kW charger in Lidl that worked a treat and was cheaper.
Also tried charging at a Total Energies site (Bosgouet) but couldn’t, although there was another British MG5 there that charged okay.

Hi all. Out in France atm. Tried to charge at Tesla’s Bourg-Achard units but no luck. Units just didn’t even see the car. Luckily it’s right next to a 120kW charger in Lidl that worked a treat and was cheaper.
Also tried charging at a Total Energies site (Bosgouet) but couldn’t, although there was another British MG5 there that charged okay.
Was this a blue MG 5 FL at around 11:00 French time?

We were charging there around then but it took us about 20min and a charger change to initiate the charge.

Hi, I have an MG4 EV but the issue may be the same as I experienced. Tesla chargers worked fine until last Monday evening immediately after my last software update. At that point the app crapped out on a V2 charger saying the stall was already occupied. This happened the moment I put the charger plug into the car. Cut a long story short (see "Dave Takes It On" on YouTube") after a few experiments at Bambury, Trentham Manor and finally at Trafford Centre I found that the bug could be circumvented by following these steps: 1) open the app and select the charge site, 2) select the stall, 3) select "Start Charging" AND ONLY THEN 4) plug the charger cable into the car x then it all works as normal. Re the v4 tap and charge, I think it is the same thing, but I wasn't concentrating when I did the v4 at Trentham, I think you tap your card and wait for it to authorise, then plug the charger cable in. But I am happy to be corrected on the v4's. Meanwhile I have written to my MG Dealer to point this out along with the other four bugs introduced by the latest update. I think it would be nice if MG paid us for debugging their software, but better still perhaps they could implement some proper software development management and testing tools!

Last edited:
I had the same experience trying three different tesla charging stalls.
Ended up going somewhere else.
Would appreciate it if ASRtichy lets us know if rabacon001's tip really works!

Also, why is it that many Tesla "Non-Tesla Vehicle" stalls don't release the cable from its socket?

(MG4 Luxury in Germany))

Well that's interesting, asked the dealer about software updates when booking the service, and they claim the system that does the updates is down at the moment.

Not booked in for a few weeks so I'd hope they'd have that fixed by then.

Server availability changes on a daily basis.
Sounds like someone needs to fire their IT department then, whilst nothing is 100% bombproof outages should be a rare exception, but that makes it sound like it's happening far too frequently.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom