Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

Interesting thanks for your comments. Yes MG seem to have a major lack of software customer support availability, it’s almost impossible to get in touch with anyone. The dealers seem pretty clueless, if I was to buy another MG I’d think twice before having to go through a dealership again.

Software wise there’s so many little niggles and downright bad functionality in some cases. I’d be happy to work with MG on these as I’m sure a lot of MG owners would be, if only to get these things fixed or updated!

They don’t seem to want to know however… 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Hi electricbensolar I agree with most of your points but remember in regards to dealers some are better in many ways and more helpful than others,and you as the owner can use any of them anywhere you choose, what I mean is you don’t have to use the dealer who supplies the car for servicing and repairs
Les

Hi electricbensolar I agree with most of your points but remember in regards to dealers some are better in many ways and more helpful than others,and you as the owner can use any of them anywhere you choose, what I mean is you don’t have to use the dealer who supplies the car for servicing and repairs
Les
Yes very true, from my experience the two MG dealers I've had dealings with have both been pretty disappointing. I'd be interested to hear of anyone with good examples of dealers, perhaps I can try them in the future. Thanks.

The dealer problem is that they are franchises... ours in Southampton does a whole suite of makes at it's different branches... Hyundai, Skoda and Suzuki as well as MG... my car is serviced by dropping it into the showroom next door...

While I appreciate serviving and so on should be done fine by anty competent mechanic/technician, it can't be easy building relationships witht he different manufacturers.
I suspect with MG our dealers are well down the pecking order as far as being listened to... I'd be glad to be proved wrong by the way.

Sounds like someone needs to fire their IT department then, whilst nothing is 100% bombproof outages should be a rare exception, but that makes it sound like it's happening far too frequently.

Or the dealers are lying to cover up their own deficiencies....

So my experience with my dealer, MG Richmond, Portsmouth has be fantastic, they have been willing to listen to and elevate issues to MG. I'm currently running a list of software bugs for them to investigate and slowly knocking them off with new updates to the car. But my experience with their sister company in Guildford was the complete opposite. Nine months after buy my car from the Portsmouth branch I an still waiting for the Guildford branch to ring me to arrange a test drive. So as suggested above I would shop around.

One other thing I would say, and it does take time and effort, is too really investigate the issues that we find on the software side. For most of them there is a work around. The Tesla charger issue is a case in point. And for the others, eventually you can narrow it down to a specific action that is repeatable and demonstratable. So an example here, is the an issue with the MG4 sticking in "P" after I get out for a moment to say shut the charger door that I forgot to close. In the end, I realised that the issue was the door opening causing the car to go in to standby mode even though this is not displayed. This means that I can be specific about the issue to the dealer and I can demonstrate the issue with 100% certainty that it will repeat when demonstrated.

Yes very true, from my experience the two MG dealers I've had dealings with have both been pretty disappointing. I'd be interested to hear of anyone with good examples of dealers, perhaps I can try them in the future. Thanks.
I’ve used F
Les

I’ve used the services of Frasers of Falkirk for sales and services for my original ZS and then traded that in with them for my current long range Five. It’s just had its second year service and I find them very helpful and efficient.

Hi all. Sorry to report that it was the same old story on the way home with the Tesla charger. There was a French ZSEV that pulled in after and also couldn’t charge.
On the plus side, most Lidl’s have 120kW chargers which when using the Electroverse card we’re totally free.
A26DFF9D-C830-4D19-8682-B92FE8F7C589.jpeg

A small update having emailed MG Customer service - their reply as follows:

"The software update I believe you are referring to will be for the vehicles EVCC, which would allow the vehicle to charge on a Tesla charge point.

The dealership can contact us directly should they require any further guidance on this"

Currently doing the dance of trying to get the dealer to confirm this with MG. Frustrating, and worrying about the reference to being a chargeable update, but I suppose good the issue seems to be acknowledged.

"The software update I believe you are referring to will be for the vehicles EVCC, which would allow the vehicle to charge on a Tesla charge point.

The dealership can contact us directly should they require any further guidance on this"

Currently doing the dance of trying to get the dealer to confirm this with MG. Frustrating, and worrying about the reference to being a chargeable update, but I suppose good the issue seems to be acknowledged.
Am amazed that MG contacted you direct, well done!

I was surprised and amazed when I got the same reply about the same update to my ZSEV. There are at least 2 of us with ZSEVs who have put the matter to the vehicle ombudsmen.

Just to further disappoint everyone I hear Asda's current contract on charging is or has come to an end and will be buying Tesla chargers to put in all 600 stores nationwide open to all and we won't be able to use them.😞😬

Just to further disappoint everyone I hear Asda's current contract on charging is or has come to an end and will be buying Tesla chargers to put in all 600 stores nationwide open to all and we won't be able to use them.😞😬
Logical I suppose as the petrol station guys that bought Asda are doing the same at the petrol stations.

Hi all,

Here's an update (though not very encouraging, I'm afraid). We have a MG LR Exclusive, reg Mar 2022.

I've been in contact with MG Customer Care, and they said "If your car carries the most up to date software, it is compatible with the Tesla open network."

Last week I tried charging on the Tesla Superchargers at Reading West, which are open to non-Teslas according to the Tesla app. I plugged in, swiped my credit card, the car charhing port locked but nothing happened. I tried the same from the Tesla app. No error messages.

I contacted MG Customer Care again and asked about software updates, and their response was "Unfortunately, there is no specific update for superchargers, and it would not be considered as a fault if the car is able to accept charge from other sources." [I think he meant *unable!]

Our local MG dealer have checked on the MG service database and no software updates are available for our car. They told me that there hadn't been any software updates since the car was new.

I called Tesla Support today (20th Nov 2023), and they told me there is a temporary block on [some?] MGs, which is "under investigation", but they don't have a date for a fix.

Mike

Hi all,

Here's an update (though not very encouraging, I'm afraid). We have a MG LR Exclusive, reg Mar 2022.

Just to be clear, do you drive the original or facelift version of the MG5?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's the original MG5 shape, but it's the LR version (which I believe was released later than the original MG5).
I may be wrong, but I'm not sure the original version (before the 2022 facelift) was ever expected to be able to use the Tesla open superchargers. I am happy to be corrected, however!

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure the original version (before the 2022 facelift) was ever expected to be able to use the Tesla open superchargers. I am happy to be corrected, however!
I didn't realise that. I'd just assumed that any CCS charger would work (albeit with max 50kW, as limited by the car). It would be nice to see a definitive statement from MG as to whether this should or should not work!

I didn't realise that. I'd just assumed that any CCS charger would work (albeit with max 50kW, as limited by the car). It would be nice to see a definitive statement from MG as to whether this should or should not work!

I used to get 75kW on the screen for my old MG5 LR. I may have got higher but I rarely sit and watch the charger!

Someone did show me a photo ,on here, of their PFL drawing 100kW during a charge.

You called yours an Executive, so it is pre-facelift, officially is up to 80 something kW but I and others have seen over 90kW.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom