Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

Today I went to my first service at the dealership with another request to install software to be able to charge at Tesla. After the first years service, which costs 109 euro, I went to a supercharger nearby that did not work previously and now it works!!! Keep also in mind the routine described here previously.
Well, given all of the failed attempts to charge MG5s listed here I wasn't hopeful that I'd be able to report something positive.

A little back history, a couple of years ago we had charged our 2021 MG5 LR at Tesla Superchargers without issue. A few months ago we tried again at the Wokingham site, tried 4 times and no success, having used this one before.

A couple of days later the car was due in for a service (Glyn Hopkin St Albans) and I explained the issue we'd had. They told me after the service they had done 5 software updates (not sure if that included the CCU) and sadly I don't have the list of updates, which they did show me on the service sheet at the time.

Since then I haven't been near a Supercharger until yesterday at Grays (Lakeside Shopping Centre) - on the way down to visit family in Kent.

I had also read this thread Tesla Supercharger Tip (Trafford Centre) prior to going.

So we called in briefly on the way down, and it worked, but I did follow the instructions above too. We didn't need to charge, so headed down to Kent, and then on return late yesterday evening heading back, and same result using the procedure above it worked just fine.

No idea whether it was the software update or the procedure above or the combination of the 2, but it was only 47p/kWh off peak, so we were happy. Next time we get a chance I'll try without the procedure above to see if that makes any difference.

I'd be interested to know what others find.

Hope that helps at least someone out there!
Mick
1700492617670.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue about Tesla Superchargers and the MG5 was brought up on the last MGEVs Podcast, and Miles Robert’s asked the question below of MG and their answer is below the question is regarding the pre facelift models.
I own and drive the MG5 Face lifted Trophy vehicle and even that will not charge on a Tesla Supercharger it is going in for its first service soon 11/1/24 around a 2 month wait for service at the moment, and I have ask the dealer to sort the issue out, I will keep you informed how it goes.
Les

MG5 pre-facelift/MCE – Can they use Tesla Superchargers? Any particular updates required?
The pre facelift long range vehicles should work on superchargers as long as they have the latest EVCC and BMS software installed.

You called yours an Executive, so it is pre-facelift, officially is up to 80 something kW but I and others have seen over 90kW.
I have a 2021 pre facelift MG5 LR Exclusive and had up to 90kW in the past. Just to clarify not Tesla superchargers.

Last edited:
I have a 2021 pre facelift MG5 LR Exclusive and had up to 90kW in the past. Just to clarify not Tesla superchargers.
My record on Zunder in Spain was 96kW. I had driven hours, my 3rd rapid of the day and 35°C I guess helped!

The issue about Tesla Superchargers and the MG5 was brought up on the last MGEVs Podcast, and Miles Robert’s asked the question below of MG and their answer is below the question is regarding the per facelift models.
I own and drive the MG5 Face lifted Trophy vehicle and even that will not charge on a Tesla Supercharger it is going in for its first service soon 11/1/24 around a 2 month wait for service at the moment, and I have ask the dealer to sort the issue out, I will keep you informed how it goes.
Les

MG5 pre-facelift/MCE – Can they use Tesla Superchargers? Any particular updates required?
The pre facelift long range vehicles should work on superchargers as long as they have the latest EVCC and BMS software installed.
Thanks for asking that question on the Podcast, I couldn't watch live so couldn't join in but watched later.
The answer is encouraging, my second service is due in January for the pre-facelift so will make sure I ask about that.
Did Miles/MG provide anything I can point them to when I go in.

You called yours an Executive, so it is pre-facelift, officially is up to 80 something kW but I and others have seen over 90

Thanks for asking that question on the Podcast, I couldn't watch live so couldn't join in but watched later.
The answer is encouraging, my second service is due in January for the pre-facelift so will make sure I ask about that.
I had my 2nd service in September on my 2021 pre facelift and asked about this subject and was told there are no updates that they were aware of.

Hi Gomev, Not really no but your dealer should be aware of it but I wouldn’t be to sure of that I would suggest you ring them a few days before you go to explain what your issue is.
Les

Hi all,

Here's an update (though not very encouraging, I'm afraid). We have a MG LR Exclusive, reg Mar 2022.

I've been in contact with MG Customer Care, and they said "If your car carries the most up to date software, it is compatible with the Tesla open network."

Last week I tried charging on the Tesla Superchargers at Reading West, which are open to non-Teslas according to the Tesla app. I plugged in, swiped my credit card, the car charhing port locked but nothing happened. I tried the same from the Tesla app. No error messages.

I contacted MG Customer Care again and asked about software updates, and their response was "Unfortunately, there is no specific update for superchargers, and it would not be considered as a fault if the car is able to accept charge from other sources." [I think he meant *unable!]

Our local MG dealer have checked on the MG service database and no software updates are available for our car. They told me that there hadn't been any software updates since the car was new.

I called Tesla Support today (20th Nov 2023), and they told me there is a temporary block on [some?] MGs, which is "under investigation", but they don't have a date for a fix.

Mike
So we’re still no further as to whether it’s Tesla or MG who is “at fault” or restricting things as it were? I imagine it’s a case of MG having to pay to join the backend of Tesla chargers or something along the lines of data collection maybe. Doesn’t really make sense otherwise.

Most annoying as Tesla look to be massively investing across the board and opening up the charging infrastructure so if we’re not able to use it… then we’re pretty screwed really.

At what point does it become a necessity to have access to the largest charging network (as and when Tesla become the largest in the UK).

So we’re still no further as to whether it’s Tesla or MG who is “at fault” or restricting things as it were? I imagine it’s a case of MG having to pay to join the backend of Tesla chargers or something along the lines of data collection maybe. Doesn’t really make sense otherwise.

Most annoying as Tesla look to be massively investing across the board and opening up the charging infrastructure so if we’re not able to use it… then we’re pretty screwed really.

At what point does it become a necessity to have access to the largest charging network (as and when Tesla become the largest in the UK).
Doubt it's that otherwise it would be unlikely to require a software update MG's side, it's probably to do with one of the protocol versions being used or the MG's doing something funky that the Tesla chargers don't like.

Absolutely agree, Tesla network is growing fast and we can't access them, in addition they are much cheaper, annoying!!!!!

I will say just this I have the MG5 Trophy the face lifted model which should but won’t charge on a Tesla Supercharger, my wife has the MG4 SE which will charge on the very same Supercharger that the 5 won’t, so in my opinion it has nothing to do with the Superchargers it is an MG issue.

I am not alone in this view there are others in the same boat.
Les

I will say just this I have the MG5 Trophy the face lifted model which should but won’t charge on a Tesla Supercharger, my wife has the MG4 SE which will charge on the very same Supercharger that the 5 won’t, so in my opinion it has nothing to do with the Superchargers it is an MG issue.

I am not alone in this view there are others in the same boat.
Les
Yes Les I'm with you on that. I feel sure MG can sort this out if they feel so inclined to do so.

The story, as I heard it, is that there was an incompatibility between Tesla and the MG software that would on occasion leave the charger inopperable after an MG with this problem had been connected. I don't know if it is true but it was rumoured that the problem couldn't be fixed remotely and needed an engineer. Tesla then introduced a software update which prevented cars with this software problem from connecting. (this is why some people had used tesla charges some time ago but can't now). MG fixed the problem in later cars like theMG4. I know that there is also a fix for the MG5 because someone in this forum has had it done and can now charge at open Tesla's. What is a real problem is that almost everyone at MG or their dealers seems not to know about this update.

I have been in contact with MG dealership for a year and there is an update for the MG5 to be compatible. So clear as a blue sky it is MG that needs to step up. And from experience calling dealers does not work. Write emails to the service center and document yourself the status of the service they are delivering. The article earlier here describes a SW update being available at MG europe level to make this compatible. So do not assume but take clear action yourself in a documented way to get it solved for your MG5.

I have been in contact with MG dealership for a year and there is an update for the MG5 to be compatible. So clear as a blue sky it is MG that needs to step up. And from experience calling dealers does not work. Write emails to the service center and document yourself the status of the service they are delivering. The article earlier here describes a SW update being available at MG europe level to make this compatible. So do not assume but take clear action yourself in a documented way to get it solved for your MG5.
I think if everybody does the same it may prompt MG to do something. I certainly will be sending them correspondence on this matter. I will report on this site on their reply, providing I get some form of response.

A rather dramatic view of the situation if I may say so.

1. I think it's fairly well accepted it is MG at fault.

2. A limited number of Tesla chargers are available to all at the moment in the UK and for ages there were none. Not being able to charge on the Tesla network was and is not a problem. we are hardly screwed. It is a nice to have though and I welcome the time when it happens for the MG5.

3. The Tesla charging network is already by far the largest charging network in the UK and always has been.

2. A limited number of Tesla chargers are available to all at the moment in the UK and for ages there were none. Not being able to charge on the Tesla network was and is not a problem. we are hardly screwed. It is a nice to have though and I welcome the time when it happens for the MG5.

3. The Tesla charging network is already by far the largest charging network in the UK and always has been.
And many times the cheapest but this issue is not only about cost, convenience also comes into the equation I have pointed out somewhere before you wouldn’t go to a TV shop and purchase a TV from a brand that can only receive 3 channels when others can receive 4 would you.

The LR or the facelifted LR or the vehicle's most people are complaining about when to be honest all MG vehicles should be able to use all available charging networks to charge in truth.
Les.

And many times the cheapest but this issue is not only about cost, convenience also comes into the equation I have pointed out somewhere before you wouldn’t go to a TV shop and purchase a TV from a brand that can only receive 3 channels when others can receive 4 would you.

The LR or the facelifted LR or the vehicle's most people are complaining about when to be honest all MG vehicles should be able to use all available charging networks to charge in truth.
Les.
I agree with you Mr Burrows except I’d be totally chuffed with two half decent channels on my telly please 🤩

It's likely more sites will be opened up, also it sounds like Tesla may be selling V4 supercharger hardware to other CPO's which would lead to them becoming much more common.

Re : point2. Generally it is no problem but there are a couple of situations that are a real shame for me. The Eurotunnel terminal is somewhere that you have to arrive early and wait around for half an hour - it would be great use of that time if I could charge the car. Oxford services has a huge number of Tesla chargers and just 2 50kw non Teslas that have been busy most times that I have been there.
I'm taking my MG5 FL into MG Apple tomorrow for its VCC update. I'll try and find out some more about the charging update while I am there.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom