Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

And this video says we are ahead of the USA with Tesla V4s but not for long I don’t think.
But it is also a reason why our cars need sorting out you will see BP are using V4. Last week Asda were said to be ordering 20,000 of them for there stores and MG5 owners can’t use them; that’s not right.

Anyhow thanks to the guys above for sending emails; the more pressure we apply the sooner someone at MG might listen.
Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again everyone involved here I at last got a reply form Tesla UK an e-Mail reply which is below but not of much help to use really.

So I rang them again to again ask the questions I had sent them via email.
Spoke with a lady about the issue she listen then she put me on hold for 15-20 minutes and came back to say and said no the cars that can’t use the Tesla network with V2/V3 will also not be able to access their new V4 units end off.

Not in so many words but she said the issues where with some vehicle manufacturers and where long running but still being addressed.

So it appears it is not the fault of Tesla but MG this I think we already knew.
So I am now going to take this matter up with MG motors again the e-mails are below if you would like to read them.
Sorry not to bring a more positive result.
Les

Dear Sir/madam
My name is Les Burrows I am an non Tesla owner in fact I own an MG5 Trophy a
2022 facelifted model which I’m sad to say will not charge on your V2 or V3 units,and I have tried several times, but you app says vehicle not recognised.

This is now my 3rd attempt to get an answer from you for the following questions.

So my first question is, might my MG5 or other vehicles who currently cannot charge on your V2 or V3 superchargers be now able to charge on your latest V4 Units, as they can be used with or without the Tesla app I believe, by just swiping a payment card.

Question 2 would it be possible for you to indicate in your app at what sites these new V4 units are available for both Tesla and none Tesla owners which could be very helpful I would think.
If this is already in place can you please direct me to where I can obtain that information, as I don’t see it in your App.

Also can you please quote any reason why my vehicle is not able to use your current network which is now open to all. And we thank you for that.

This is the reply I got from them

Thank you for contacting Tesla Customer Resolutions UK / Ireland.

If your enquiry relates to Service Bookings, Ownership Changes, Referral Awards, Online Shop Orders, Energy Products, Charging enquires and Privacy Requests. Please follow the below steps to raise this enquiry with the appropriate team.

Navigate to the Tesla Support Page
· Select the "Contact us" link towards the bottom of the page where you will be routed to ‘Ask a question.’
· Select the topic you require.
· Your selection will present an FAQ page where you may find the relevant information you require. If you require more help, click "YES" to this question.
· This raises an enquiry to the relevant department where a member of the team will reach out to you directly.

There is also an option to chat online with our support team via the Tesla website. Please head to the Tesla Support Page where you will find a speech bubble in the bottom right-hand corner, this will invite you to open a conversation with our Tesla Support team.
You can also speak with our Tesla Support team by phone on +441628 450660. Lines are open 8:15AM- 7.00pm Mon-Fri, 9:30AM –6.00pm Sat/Sun.
Customer Resolutions will not be providing a response to the above enquiries unless received as part of an escalation from the relevant team.
However, if you have a concern, and you have been unable to reach an amicable resolution with your local Service / Sales / Delivery team our team are best placed to investigate your concern and will respond once we have started investigating your case. We aim to respond in 5 working days from receipt of your email, however at times of high demand, this could be longer.

Sometimes, we may feel it is more appropriate to pass your concerns onto local management, who may be best placed to solve your concern.

Unless your enquiry is urgent, please contact us once, as contacting us multiple times will result in delays to response times. However, we will work to respond to all enquires at the earliest opportunity.

Thank you for your patience.

Tesla Customer Resolutions UK & Ireland.
Received the standard reply to my email as shown below.
First service not due untill March 2024 so think I will reply accordingly to MG CS and argue a bit, await developments, then try my luck, exaggerate a bit to try and convince them I have a DC charging fault, and see what happens.👴
‐--------------------------
Thank you for your email, and yes. If an update such as this is available for you, it would not be covered by warranty as it is not resolving a fault.

If you wish to have that, you would need to cover the time of the technician whilst it is installed as a quality enhancement.
Gary Smart
Customer Service Coordinator
Aftersales

Yesterday I got a reply from Tesla about the issue of the MG5 not being able to use there superchargers any of v2/v3/v4.
I have forwarded this to MGs Mr G Smart for his information and requested he takes this matter further.
Copy enclosed of both E-mails.
But once again I ask owners to email MG to express there dissatisfaction.
[email protected]

Hi and hello again,
thank you for you mail the other day but I don’t appear to be making myself understood I am not alone in this dilemma of the MG5 not charging at Tesla stations which are now open to all vehicles. ( but apparently not your/our MG5)

I enclose the reason that Tesla have sent me in regards to this issue it would appear that the MG5 does not fully comply with CCS communication and Safety protocol.

So can you please explain why this might be, to us the owners of the MG5 vehicles sold to us buy you at MG UK via your Dealerships, and what what is to be done about it.

I can personally confirm that the MG4 has not got these issues with Tesla Superchargers and have reports the ZS model can also us them, so why not the MG5 this issue needs to be addressed ASAP in my opinion and request you highlight this problem further without delay.
Yours sincerely
Les Burrows.

My reply from Tesla below.
AccountSupportEMEA
Tesla( refit:C100D723C5
Thanks for the information provided.
As per our support page, included below, under the FAQ section.
https://www.tesla.com/support/non-tesla-supercharging
"Tesla is unable to accommodate vehicles that do not fully comply with CCS communication and safety protocols"
We can confirm that currently, the relevant communication and protocols are not met on your make/model of car and is currently still under investigation, there is at this time no further update, this is in place on every CCS Tesla Supercharger, ie V2/V3/V4
To obtain the best user experience, the Tesla application will show you what chargers are available for Non-Tesla owners and payment can be made via the Tesla application too.
The Tesla application does not know which make/model of car you currently have, this information is obtained once the car is plugged into the charger, therefore the V4's also have the restriction in place.
I appreciate this may not be the best information you would like to hear, but I'm glad I have managed to answer your questions at this time.
Have a lovely week ahead, Leslie.
Chris,
Tesla Support

To:[email protected]
CC:

Last edited:
Yesterday I got a reply from Tesla about the issue of the MG5 not being able to use there superchargers any of v2/v3/v4.
I have forwarded this to MGs Mr G Smart for his information and requested he takes this matter further.

Hi and hello again,
thank you for you mail the other day but I don’t appear to be making myself understood I am not alone in this dilemma of the MG5 not charging at Tesla stations which are now open to all vehicles. ( but apparently not your/our MG5)

I enclose the reason that Tesla have sent me in regards to this issue it would appear that the MG5 does not fully comply with CCS communication and Safety protocol.

So can you please explain why this might be, to us the owners of the MG5 vehicles sold to us buy you at MG UK via your Dealerships, and what what is to be done about it.

I can personally confirm that the MG4 has not got these issues with Tesla Superchargers and have reports the ZS model can also us them, so why not the MG5 this issue needs to be addressed ASAP in my opinion and request you highlight this problem further without delay.
Yours sincerely
Les Burrows.

AccountSupportEMEA
"Tesla is unable to accommodate vehicles that do not fully comply with CCS communication and safety protocols"
We can confirm that currently, the relevant communication and protocols are not met on your make/model of car and is currently still under investigation, there is at this time no further update, this is in place on every CCS Tesla Supercharger, ie V2/V3/V4
To obtain the best user experience, the Tesla application will show you what chargers are available for Non-Tesla owners and payment can be made via the Tesla application too.
The Tesla application does not know which make/model of car you currently have, this information is obtained once the car is plugged into the charger, therefore the V4's also have the restriction in place.
I appreciate this may not be the best information you would like to hear, but I'm glad I have managed to answer your questions at this time.
Chris,
Tesla Support

CC:
More power to your elbow Les (even if not to our charge ports - yet !!)

[email protected]

Hi and hello again,

Yours sincerely
Les Burrows.

AccountSupportEMEA
Chris,
Tesla Support

CC:
Well done Les, spurred on by your campaign and info you provided I have just replied to Gary Smart as follows:👴

Hi Gary, thanks for you reply.

I have received the following reply from Tesla Support (shown below) regarding this issue. They claim the MG5 does not "currently fully comply with CCS communication and safety protocols".

If thats the case and MG/you state there is a software update available to address these non compliant communication and safety protocols, should this not be automatically updated at a service or a recall?

I await your reply.

King regards

I have also just emailed Gary about this but have extended the issue.

I also have problems with charging abroad where certain types of charger refuse the MG5 for the same reason. New EDP chargers in particular.

Also as Cleevely did my service they could show me the endless list of charging errors that resulted. I bet MG fail to mention them?

[email protected]

Hi and hello again,

Yours sincerely
Les Burrows.

AccountSupportEMEA
Chris,
Tesla Support

CC:
In other words buy yourself a Tesla !!!

Yes Les you are absolutely right, also MG may suffer in their inability to act and put this right.
Although I love my MG5 hearing stories of MG's indifference to their customers not only in this instance but many others may cause me to look to another brand for my next car. If they want their customers to have brand loyalty they must do better.

After i sent the correspondence #283 i had from Tesla last week to Gary Smart at MG I hadn’t had a reply about it, so this morning have written again and now got a reply from them which is in effect is no different than before.

So what I will do next is ask my dealer to check the software in my car is up to date as suggested and then try a Tesla supercharger again copy below of todays reply from MG in which he states this is their final position in the matter.
Les

Dear Mr Burrows

Thank you for your further correspondence, however if your MG5 is running the most up to date software, then there are no plans to upgrade the software again at this time.

Unfortunately, MG Motor UK Ltd. could only assist, if your car does not receive a charge from any point. We would not consider it a fault when the car will not receive a charge from one particular service/charge point brand.

I am truly sorry for any inconvenience caused, however, I trust that this will confirm our final position regarding this matter.

Yours sincerely

UK Mobile:

Switchboard:

E-mail:

image001.jpg
MG Motor UK Limited
Headquarters, Main Gate
Lowhill Lane, Birmingham, West Midlands
B31 2BQ United Kingdom
www.mg.co.uk

Facebook Logo
Become an MG fan: facebook.com/mgmotor
Twitter Logo
Follow MG: twitter.com/mgmotor

I wonder if someone like watchdog would take an interest, I'd imagine if it starts getting reported that MG's can't charge on tesla chargers in the media then they'd take notice.

Failing that crap like The Sun.etc like to print anti EV articles.

I wonder if someone like watchdog would take an interest, I'd imagine if it starts getting reported that MG's can't charge on tesla chargers in the media then they'd take notice.

Failing that crap like The Sun.etc like to print anti EV articles.
Yes that would be interesting to see how the anti EV brigade would take it up and enough bad press may shift MG's stance, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Well personally I don’t think we need any more bad press about MGs or Evs in general for that matter there are other channels that can be used.
My car is going into the dealership on January 10/24 so I will request any updates to be done and try again first as I have said earlier today #291 and if that does not cure the problem I will be writing to SMMT and the office of fair trading about the matter.

Incidentally it is now 15:15 hours and I am driving up from Devon and have just come off the M6 motorway and pulled into Trentham Gardens near Stoke on Trent I have just plug into 2 V3 chargers and a V4 none of which worked app say’s vehicle not recognised
So I now have seen for certain Tesla and MG5 are not compatible in any way which I knew about V2/V3 but this is my first try on a V4 the latest charger from Tesla.
Les

Well personally I don’t think we need any more bad press about MGs or Evs in general for that matter there are other channels that can be used.
My car is going into the dealership on January 10/24 so I will request any updates to be done and try again first as I have said earlier today #291 and if that does not cure the problem I will be writing to SMMT and the office of fair trading about the matter.

Incidentally it is now 15:15 hours and I am driving up from Devon and have just come off the M6 motorway and pulled into Trentham Gardens near Stoke on Trent I have just plug into 2 V3 chargers and a V4 none of which worked app say’s vehicle not recognised
So I now have seen for certain Tesla and MG5 are not compatible in anyway which I knew about V2/V3 but this is my first try on a V4 the latest charger from Tesla.
Les
Les, to save me asking Miles directly, can you remember if he said there was a MG directive or set procedure that ANY and ALL available updates should be applied as part of a service ? If so, do we have a copy of that directive to show our dealers to ensure this is done ?

Les, to save me asking Miles directly, can you remember if he said there was a MG directive or set procedure that ANY and ALL available updates should be applied as part of a service ? If so, do we have a copy of that directive to show our dealers to ensure this is done ?
No there is nothing written down as far as I know the only thing I can recall was miles saying in the November podcast was about the long range should work fine as long as the software is up to date and I assume that goes for the face lift version like mine.
Now when I asked at the service desk the 3 personal behind the desk said the know nothing about Tesla Superchargers being open to all !!!! Which I find very hard to believe as it common knowledge now.
So it’s going in to Chorley MG to check I hope update the software on 10 Jan.
Can I ask Who is your dealer ?
Les

No there is nothing written down as far as I know the only thing I can recall was miles saying in the November podcast was about the long range should work fine as long as the software is up to date and I assume that goes for the face lift version like mine.
Now when I asked at the service desk the 3 personal behind the desk said the know nothing about Tesla Superchargers being open to all !!!! Which I find very hard to believe as it common knowledge now.
So it’s going in to Chorley MG to check I hope update the software on 10 Jan.
Can I ask Who is your dealer ?
Les
Mine's going into Luscombes in Leeds on the 4th January for its second service. I'll let you know how I get on.

Mine's going into Luscombes in Leeds on the 4th January for its second service. I'll let you know how I get on.
Well that’s a highly rated dealership so I would think they would know all about this issue, as I would have thought my dealer would know but they apparently didn’t, which I must admit was very concerning. As they too are highly rated likes Sam’s.
Les

If they manage to sort it I might have to make the trip at some point.

I actually got my car from them but I've been taking it to a more local dealer (The one they managed to get to assist when I had my "check HV battery" issues in order to avoid me having to get the car to Leeds in that state)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom