Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

OK, taken my MG5 LR Exclusive in for the Tesla upgrade.

Dealer is very helpful but MG are not being so. MG are saying that I need a new EVCC, which I understand from Miles etc is not true. There seems to be a recent update bulletin from MG blocking the Tesla upgrade on pre-facelift. They have warned me that MG might take days to respond.

Maybe we are back to square 1 on this?

@Miles Roberts CG - Any advice on this one and the experience of @Gomev ?

Here's the update, car went in yesterday and for reference it is a Jan 2022 reg Exclusive LR.

Arrived at dealer handed keys over and asked if there was any cost for this 'Tesla' update. I was thankfully told that it was covered under warranty.

Caught a couple of buses home, via some shopping and waited for the phone call.

2pm call came and was told the update could not be done without an new EVCC and that would cost £500 plus. Managed to get a lift to go and pick the car up and came home, unfortunately not via a Tesla Supercharger.

Now from previous posts on here I was under the impression rightly or wrongly that the EVCC change was for the SR version and that the LR could be done with a software update. I mentioned this but received no positive comment.

So it would have been nice to have had this update and if I was keeping the car I would have been very disappointed as I'm planning some long trips this year, however as it's being traded in tomorrow but I am disappointed for others on here.

Gomev so disappointed to read your post this morning and I was expecting a much better report about Luscombes.
It is down right infuriating the way Some dealers are treating there owners and there will be many others like it appears Gomev has, to turning away from MG when the time comes to change their vehicles and I’m amazed at what has and is still going on.
At the start, this was an update to be done for free and several got it done that way including myself but true to say only after a lot of hassle.

Then it changed in recent weeks to it’s an enhancement and you may be charged for the technicians time but that’s at the dealers discretion.

Now it’s a new part that is required before the software can be installed on the cars l don’t believe that is the case unless not all LR cars have the same equipment in them.
There has been very little if any clarification on this from MG motors and as a company long term it will cost them and us as currant owners when we come to change our cars and that goes for other models as well not just the 5 as these issues have been reported on the ZSev as well.
And the reputation of MGs not being able to do what any EV should do I:e charge anywhere that can be used by owners we spread and people won’t buy them cars.
Les

Dealer is very helpful but MG are not being so. MG are saying that I need a new EVCC, which I understand from Miles etc is not true. There seems to be a recent update bulletin from MG blocking the Tesla upgrade on pre-facelift. They have warned me that MG might take days to respond.

I contacted MG direct, and got very fast replies. They didn't give me the answer I wanted, but credit due, they replied in a few minutes

I contacted MG direct, and got very fast replies. They didn't give me the answer I wanted, but credit due, they replied in a few minutes
[email protected]

The customer service agents are not experts

A very common issue with many so-called online Help or Support staff. As you say, they have scripts from which they read and know nothing other than what is written in front of them.

Thank you for sharing Gomev. That is indeed disappointing. I've got my annual service at Luscombe's in a few weeks and have specifically asked for the update. Initially told there were 'no updates' for my car but then actually shared some posts on here (including yours) and then they said it would be done after 'checking with their technicians'.

Lets see - mine is a FL 2023 reg MG5 so definitely know the EVCC is compatible.

Will update my experience. It's exasperating how inconsistent people's experiences are with this.
You should have no issues getting it done with the FL version, only question is whether you get charged or not.

Shame they couldn't do the update. Goes back to my comment about general charger compatibility and (lack of) support from MG/SAIC. Given that Tesla are providing 'white label' chargers to other companies, will we find there are bigger problems to come?

I really like my MG5 but that will be it for me and the brand when I come to looking at a replacement unless there is a major mindset shift from MG
The white label chargers are also something I wondered about too !

Whilst I love my 5 and driving it, I have grown weary of the updateability, can it be done and if so only at a service with 'MG technicals' permission.

Clarity is definitely needed on this.

Gomev so disappointed to read your post this morning and I was expecting a much better report about Luscombes.
It is down right infuriating the way Some dealers are treating there owners and there will be many others like it appears Gomev has, to turning away from MG when the time comes to change their vehicles and I’m amazed at what has and is still going on.
At the start, this was an update to be done for free and several got it done that way including myself but true to say only after a lot of hassle.

Then it changed in recent weeks to it’s an enhancement and you may be charged for the technicians time but that’s at the dealers discretion.

Now it’s a new part that is required before the software can be installed on the cars l don’t believe that is the case unless not all LR cars have the same equipment in them.
There has been very little if any clarification on this from MG motors and as a company long term it will cost them and us as currant owners when we come to change our cars and that goes for other models as well not just the 5 as these issues have been reported on the ZSev as well.
And the reputation of MGs not being able to do what any EV should do I:e charge anywhere that can be used by owners we spread and people won’t buy them cars.
Les
I was disappointed too Les.
You are correct about turning away from MG. I am. Not because I don't love the car when I'm sat in it, driving it but because of everything else about the whole set up. Everything feels like hard work, nothing is easy.
Whether it will be any easier with a Hyundai who knows, quite possibly not.
Hopefully I will spot you at the EE show in Harrogate and we'll swap notes.

Exactly the same position as myself.
I went to another dealer and they have my car booked to add the software only - and I specifically verified that no parts needed to be replaced.
That will cost me £81.
Hope this works - I’m trying to get a dealer response about what I’m booked in for.

Arnold Clark just told me 3 hours labour & a new part in addition to the software update - which would ultimately invalidate my warranty. Wish there was some consistency in the message they’re all giving.

Last edited:
Hope this works - I’m trying to get a dealer response about what I’m booked in for.

Arnold Clark just told me 3 hours labour & a new part in addition to the software update - which would ultimately invalidate my warranty. Wish there was some consistency in the message they’re all giving.
So sad I’ve really loved my two MGs but . . . ??

Long and short of it is that MG now no longer allow dealers to do the Tesla update on pre-facelift MG5s without a new EVCC unit.

January update released the Tesla update
2 April update moved it from warranty to payable
Now - not allowed

Grrrr MG

Long time lurker.

MG5 Pre FL 2022 Exclusive.
As a direct result of discussions on this forum, I have spoken with a dealership named in this thread about applying the upgrade. An email from them states:

"I have spoken to my tech this morning who gave me a bulletin dated 02/04/2024 which states that on a MG5 Mk1 (i.e. pre face lift), "the EVCC needs to be renewed and then upgraded" - which is in a complete contradiction on what we have done in the past!"

It continues:

"Unless the software etc has changed hence the revised bulletin it appears we can only update the MK2 models onwards now FOC (i.e. the post facelift) however I am happy to give it a try if you would like.

"This would be on a FOC basis, however it should be noted these software updates are classed as 'enhancement' and are not covered by the vehicles warranty. Should any damage occur whilst attempting the upgrade the cost of repairs would not be covered by MG and as we have advised you the bulletin states the EVCC needs to be replaced we would not accept liability"

So it seems like they have done the software before and it wasn't an issue. They are willing to give the upgrade a go FOC, but "if it goes wrong, it's your problem". They gave costs for replacement of the EVCC unit as £380 plus labour. Its booked in for 5th June and we will see what happens. I have a screen shot of the post with the software number in so will ask them for that firmware to be installed.

Long time lurker.

MG5 Pre FL 2022 Exclusive.
As a direct result of discussions on this forum, I have spoken with a dealership named in this thread about applying the upgrade. An email from them states:

"I have spoken to my tech this morning who gave me a bulletin dated 02/04/2024 which states that on a MG5 Mk1 (i.e. pre face lift), "the EVCC needs to be renewed and then upgraded" - which is in a complete contradiction on what we have done in the past!"

It continues:

"Unless the software etc has changed hence the revised bulletin it appears we can only update the MK2 models onwards now FOC (i.e. the post facelift) however I am happy to give it a try if you would like.

"This would be on a FOC basis, however it should be noted these software updates are classed as 'enhancement' and are not covered by the vehicles warranty. Should any damage occur whilst attempting the upgrade the cost of repairs would not be covered by MG and as we have advised you the bulletin states the EVCC needs to be replaced we would not accept liability"

So it seems like they have done the software before and it wasn't an issue. They are willing to give the upgrade a go FOC, but "if it goes wrong, it's your problem". They gave costs for replacement of the EVCC unit as £380 plus labour. Its booked in for 5th June and we will see what happens. I have a screen shot of the post with the software number in so will ask them for that firmware to be installed.

Do you mind confirming which dealer (or would you prefer not to?) - happy to do this privately via DM if helpful.

Do you mind confirming which dealer (or would you prefer not to?) - happy to do this privately via DM if helpful.
The reason I haven't at the moment is that I have agreed not to, as quite fairly they don't want to have lots of others booking for it to be done then finding there is an issue with the software and having to cancel leaving space in the workshop.

The reason I haven't at the moment is that I have agreed not to, as quite fairly they don't want to have lots of others booking for it to be done then finding there is an issue with the software and having to cancel leaving space in the workshop.
Understood, I'm booked in for service with Luscombe's in Leeds but with all the confusion any extra info on how different dealers are handling things is welcome!

Fingers crossed for you...

Long and short of it is that MG now no longer allow dealers to do the Tesla update on pre-facelift MG5s without a new EVCC unit.

January update released the Tesla update
2 April update moved it from warranty to payable
Now - not allowed

Grrrr MG
That could result in people walking away from MG when their contracts are up :unsure:

So does anyone know the cost for that?
Or we talking loadsamoney?
Almost £800 for evcc then “tesla” update was Fraser of Falkirk, my dealer’s quote.
£81 for Maklin Motors Edinburgh for an hour’s labour to install the update - no hardware needed. (To be done after I return from holiday in late September)
Car needs 3rd service and MOT around then too.
Considering a trade in for a Renault E4 ??

I have said here before very strange and annoying how now replacement parts are now required when there are several here with pre FL 5s that have already been done with just a software up date.
See post # 662 page 32 from Teracton in this thread
Les.

Post 622.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have said here before very strange and annoying how now replacement parts are now required when there are several here with pre FL 5s that have already been done with just a software up date.
See post # 662 page 32 from Teracton in this thread
Les.
A tactic by MG to save costs by putting people off either by potential cost of EVCC replacement or fear of losing warranty when opting for a comfort upgrade

A tactic by MG to save costs by putting people off either by potential cost of EVCC replacement or fear of losing warranty when opting for a comfort upgrade
Those were my thoughts too when I took mine in for what turned out to be an abortive attempt to get the update. And I use the word update, not upgrade.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom