To wave, or not to wave?

To wave or not to wave... that is the question !

I will definitely give a gentlemanly wave / thumbs up when I see another.

However I will avoid flashing, didn't end well in the past. two of three old ladies had a stroke and the other one couldn't reach. :eek:

Last edited:
As a fellow previous Landie and Beetle driver, I share the dilemma. Meanwhile, we have a bigger issue. We live in a sparsely populated rural area, and at the moment, other locals don't yet recognise our new car, even though we've carried over our personal plate. So a few cheery waves have been met with stony immobility on the part of the wavee.
1686324180867.jpeg

To wave or not to wave... that is the question !

I will definitely give a gentlemanly wave / thumbs up when I see another.

However I will avoid flashing, didn't end well in the past. two of three old ladies had a stroke and the one couldn't reach. :eek:
You may not be able to avoid flashing with the dodgy auto light sensor. :LOL:

I think flashing and waving should be regarded as " I could use some help from a fellow driver "
a simple discreet nod should suffice for recognition purposes, we are of course all alert /aware drivers so appreciating such a gesture would be noted and possibly repeated.

The sort of wave you give someone who has held back to let you into the traffic should be fine. More of a salute. That's a lot different from a distress call.

Cataract op. Absolutely amazing, like something out of the New Testament.

I can actually read the road signs. I do not get lost any more.

It's amazing to me to read people complaining about the size of the text on some of the MG4's screens. I mean, what? I can read every word. Easily with my glasses on, and often with them off, too. (I need glasses for close reading, so wear varifocals to save constantly whipping them on and off.)

Last edited:
Just to twist it around slightly , would you be miffed if you wave and do not receive an acknowledgment .
I,m not trying to personalise this , but in general .

Cataract op. Absolutely amazing, like something out of the New Testament.

I can actually read the road signs. I do not get lost any more.

It's amazing to me to read people complaining about the size of the text on some of the MG4's screens. I mean, what? I can read every word. Easily with my glasses on, and often with them off, too. (I need glasses for close reading, so wear varifocals to save constantly whipping them on and off.)
Most is easily readable.... apart from the name of a radio station stored in favourites when you are trying to be a 'pop picker'... that does take a little concentration with the 👀 ..Not arf !

I flashed someone in an orange MG4 the other day near to home. I only saw it at the last moment as I was distracted by a car “parked” in a hedge at the side of the road and LKA had kicked in.

Later that day on one of the MG4’s Facebook groups someone asked if the blue MG4 that had flashed them was a member of the group.

It was nice to have a chat with them but they were on holiday from Wales so I don’t think that we will be flashing again.

The other day I let someone in a blue MG4 out of a junction and I followed them for a while. What a good looking car it is and it was nice to see the perspective of following one.

Where is the natural cut off point of not waving, MG4,s, other MG,s electric , all MG,s, all other electrics , just want some perspective.
For myself, I when making a journey requiring public charging will carry a flask of coffee ,spare cups and some Mr Kiplings (or French equivalent ) to be shared with other willing chargers, of any denomination.
This apart from MG service departments is the most likely meeting places for like minded souls.

Where is the natural cut off point of not waving, MG4,s, other MG,s electric , all MG,s, all other electrics , just want some perspective.
For myself, I when making a journey requiring public charging will carry a flask of coffee ,spare cups and some Mr Kiplings (or French equivalent ) to be shared with other willing chargers, of any denomination.
This apart from MG service departments is the most likely meeting places for like minded souls.
You hit on one of the most pleasant and unexpected advantages of electric cars - the chats one has at the charge points. We've met some lovely fellow EVers, some EVers without their cars who want to know about the MG4 and some curious about the practicalities of EVs. Who would have thought cars could encourage a bit of social humanity.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back