• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Tow bar

Thanks for that, Les. Looks like I'll be cancelling my car.😔
I need a rigid tow ball as I use a clamp-on bike rack which would swing about on one of those removable pins. I wonder if anyone needs a grey SE LR due for delivery 16 to 18 weeks after the end of October 22? At October 22 price.
Thanks again for your help
I have a clamp on bike rack on a removable swan neck tow bar on our smax, this doesn't move about at all once fitted. I would imagine the same on the MG would have to wait and see once they release it. I wouldn't expect any play in the towbar.
When it's on the car you wouldn't know it's removable, it looks like any other swan neck tow bar.

I emailed Witter again yesterday and this was their response.
Hello,

We do have the towbar available for this vehicle but we do not have the electrics however if you do go to a fitting centre near you they may be able to source these electrics for you then get the bar from us.

Thank you,

With kind regards
Seren Smallwood
| Automotive Aftermarket Europe
T 01244 457622
[email protected]

Witter Towbars
Zone 2 | Sixth Avenue | Deeside Ind Park | Deeside | CH5 2LB
witter-towbars.co.uk

I emailed Witter again yesterday and this was their response.
Hello,

We do have the towbar available for this vehicle but we do not have the electrics however if you do go to a fitting centre near you they may be able to source these electrics for you then get the bar from us.

Thank you,

With kind regards
Seren Smallwood
| Automotive Aftermarket Europe
T 01244 457622
[email protected]

Witter Towbars
Zone 2 | Sixth Avenue | Deeside Ind Park | Deeside | CH5 2LB
witter-towbars.co.uk
Gosh that's fairly annoying. Wonder why they can't sort the electrics if some MG4s on the continent have towbars already

Had a witter towbar fitted today. My vehicle was used as the test vehicle for the new electrics kit, which should now go into production. Fitter has asked me not to name on here because it's not yet available and he doesn;t want enquiries until it's ready.
Super happy with the result. Removable swan neck, bike rack pops on a treat.

I'll get some finished pics when it's light & snow has cleared.

Attachments

• 20230310_093321.jpg
    20230310_093321.jpg
    498.1 KB · Views: 520
Nice one. I assume the electrics all play nice when plug is connected? Did they give any indication of the likely cost it would have been

Nice one. I assume the electrics all play nice when plug is connected? Did they give any indication of the likely cost it would have been
Yep, electrics nicely integrated. Reverse sensors disabled when you plug into socket. There is a beeping warning when you put the car into reverse, but apparently this will be fixed in a future s/w update. (Not that it seems to be much of an issue)

I paid £780 supply & fit, I don't think that it was discounted.. I was just happy to get it done.

@Tig170 - Yes - small bumper cut, right underneath, but it's all already marked out on bumper - car is designed for towbar - there's a plug for the electrics module, a gromett and bumper cut markings.

Yep, electrics nicely integrated. Reverse sensors disabled when you plug into socket. There is a beeping warning when you put the car into reverse, but apparently this will be fixed in a future s/w update. (Not that it seems to be much of an issue)

I paid £780 supply & fit, I don't think that it was discounted.. I was just happy to get it done.

@Tig170 - Yes - small bumper cut, right underneath, but it's all already marked out on bumper - car is designed for towbar - there's a plug for the electrics module, a gromett and bumper cut markings.
Thanks for all the info. You’ve pulled that off nicely 😉

Had a witter towbar fitted today. My vehicle was used as the test vehicle for the new electrics kit, which should now go into production. Fitter has asked me not to name on here because it's not yet available and he doesn;t want enquiries until it's ready.
Super happy with the result. Removable swan neck, bike rack pops on a treat.

I'll get some finished pics when it's light & snow has cleared.
Excellent news

I emailed witter today - before seeing this thread - was told towbar ready - (Yeap can see that now haha)
More importantly was informed - 6 weeks roughly for electrics ...

re £780 supply & fit - gosh - tad more than I was expecting ...

Will - Would you Post a bike rack mounted pic if your happy to do - Cheers
lol the things we do to travel with our bikes eh hahah

We bought the MG4 partly on the basis that it could take a tow ball for a bike carrier. Great to hear that the electrics now seem to be ready. Also good to hear that a detachable one is available: last time we contacted Witter they said they had no plans for a detachable. With the position of the fog light it looks like detachable is the only sensible solution

Hi there I have been following this thread as I would like a tow bar to tow my 6x4 goods trailer which I use to transport motorbikes that I renovate. so as you can see I am a reasonable mechanic and was wondering if it would be much more cost effective to fit it myself when it becomes available. any news yet who the agents are for witter or are they selling direct. any info would be helpful. Dave.

Hi there I have been following this thread as I would like a tow bar to tow my 6x4 goods trailer which I use to transport motorbikes that I renovate. so as you can see I am a reasonable mechanic and was wondering if it would be much more cost effective to fit it myself when it becomes available. any news yet who the agents are for witter or are they selling direct. any info would be helpful. Dave.
Just be aware the maximum towing weight is 500kg and the maximum nose weight is 50kg.

This is the latest reply i got from Witter:
"Thanks for your enquiry, we are still waiting on the electrics to be developed for this vehicle I would check back in around 6-8 weeks"

Apols for the delay

A few pics of towbar & bike rack.

Drove up to the lakes this weekend ~ 250miles in pretty bad weather. Averaged 3.4m/kwh, which is pretty much what I've been getting last few months for motorway driving, so doesn't seem to be having a significant impact on range.

Will

Attachments

• 20230323_070805.jpg
    20230323_070805.jpg
    828.4 KB · Views: 397
  • 20230323_071138.jpg
    20230323_071138.jpg
    848.6 KB · Views: 593
  • 20230323_071149.jpg
    20230323_071149.jpg
    929.3 KB · Views: 378
  • 20230323_071923.jpg
    20230323_071923.jpg
    977.3 KB · Views: 379
  • 20230323_071913.jpg
    20230323_071913.jpg
    898.9 KB · Views: 393
Apols for the delay

A few pics of towbar & bike rack.

Drove up to the lakes this weekend ~ 250miles in pretty bad weather. Averaged 3.4m/kwh, which is pretty much what I've been getting last few months for motorway driving, so doesn't seem to be having a significant impact on range.

Will
Looks just the job! Thanks for posting the pictures. Glad to hear it doesn’t seem to affect your range.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back