USB cable keeps dropping connection - recommendations?

All I know for certain is that the cable I linked earlier works perfectly for me in my MG4 SE SR.

ok, found one 👍 . Took a bit of digging.
I had hoped to find one with the magnetic ends, but they're all 1M and up unfortunately.
I don't want cables lying around all over the place. Brings back too many memories of getting the 12v accessory plugged lead for my old Garmin sat draped over the speedo and all tangled up with the nav gear lever and handbrake!

I'll try and remember to take a photo of my setup (with a 1m magnetic cable) - it's not intrusive. And the coil under the tray could also be velcroed to the underside of the shelf (which I've not done). :)

Photos as promised.

Shelf without phone on it (as the driver would see it) - Underneath of shelf - Shelf with phone on it

Obviously the coil under the shelf could be further tidied and clipped to the underside of the shelf.

HTH :)

Attachments

• Shelf_No_Phone.jpg
    Shelf_No_Phone.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Under_Shelf.jpg
    Under_Shelf.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 112
  • shelf_Phone.jpg
    shelf_Phone.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 109
So after extensive testing with different phones and I even against my judgement bought exactly the cable listed here managed to get things working. I now understand why, but for iPhone users who see the dissconnect issue:
Your firmware will not be ether R13 or R30... They will not see this issue as far as I understand.
1). Enable Siri on your phone (dont ask).
2). Remove any cars in your CarPlay (Settings > General > CarPlay) SAIC 1.0+
3). Delete your bluetooth connection with the car and obviously do the same on the car.
4). Roll your eyes and say wtf?
5). Switch off your moble fully.
6). And then back on, just like we used to do on Windows Xp boxes.
7). Re-connect the bluetooth... and say yes when prompted on both.
8). And then cross your fingers plug the usb in and QUICKLY when you get the pop up obviously click ok/yes. (if you dont catch it in time just unplug and try again.
9). As crazy as it seems switch off your phone (fully) then back on.
10). When plugging it back in now the bluetooth will dissable and it should fingers crossed work... BUT.
11). If you do any of the following it will fail again: call anyone, change the apps that will aprear on the CarPlay on your car display.
Ultimately its an infosystem issue, I'm going to go back to the dealership and get an update to the OS of the unit. As soon as I have any further info I'll update you.
Live long an prosper..... its still a flipping great car! (I'll just celotape my mobile to the infosystem if this fails and I need to use google maps lol!!)

Last edited:
..... I'll read the above carefully, as am finding that pairing the MG4 & iphone via carplay is a complete pain (as its just so random if it works! or not)

After another day testing and trying to get to the bottom of this I've come to the ulimate conclusion that the MG's CarPlay does not like the newer versions if iOS... I have an old iPhone 6s iOS 14.4.2 and it has no problems what so ever. My new iPhone needs to be disconnected twice before it works but drops bluetooth and you can only have one or the other conected for it to work. So thats me done messing around with this, I'll just get a dual sim and have my old iPhone for the car until MG ports its OS to be compatable with the newer phone OS's.

After another day testing and trying to get to the bottom of this I've come to the ulimate conclusion that the MG's CarPlay does not like the newer versions if iOS... I have an old iPhone 6s iOS 14.4.2 and it has no problems what so ever. My new iPhone needs to be disconnected twice before it works but drops bluetooth and you can only have one or the other conected for it to work. So thats me done messing around with this, I'll just get a dual sim and have my old iPhone for the car until MG ports its OS to be compatable with the newer phone OS's.
No issues for me with iPhone 13 Pro Max running 16.1.2 and I’ve used several different third party and MFi cables, works without issue. I think you either have an issue with your newer phone or with software on your car. Have you cleaned the lightning port on your phone?

A random question but on the subject of connections. Does CarPlay only work through the USB A slot on MGs or does the USB C slot work too? Just working out which cable I need.

The USB A port has a symbol next to it that looks like 2 screens .. to me that tells me that it is the port for screen mirroring (i.e. Android Auto/Carplay) 🙂

Im one of the newer iphone users who is still having issues with this (connects for 1-2 seconds, then disconects - sometimes (mostly)) - to me its to do with the cable chip (its not debris in the phone 12 as just had mine serviced /cleaned out by an apple repair shop), as the genuine ones which come with the phone (standard lightening at the phone end), are usb-C, where as the MG4 uses USB-A, hence you have to use a non-genuine (or older apple) cable with a USB A end - I've no proof on this yet, but have just bought a short non-genuine cable as shown above (awaiting delivery though). It always charges when connected to the car (so is to do with the data / handshaking / checking etc. - and no it doesn't work using the MG4 USB-C port / genuine cable , but does charge the phone)

I have consistent issues when using my phone. It constantly keeps disconnecting, but it doesn't happen when my folks use either of their phones with the same cable. Worth noting that my phone stays connected just fine on other cars.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back