• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Vehicle to Load (V2L) - Any Information or First Hand Experiences?

We bought a commando socket version from EV Cables Ltd for our MG4 SE SR ; married through the wall to a double 3 pin socket (so we do not have to run the cable through an open window). We have just done the Saturday morning wash (40 degrees) and the wash load is now in the tumble dryer for 80 minutes. The full cycle (wash and then dry) uses about 8% of the battery to complete. We charge overnight from our cheap rate or from our solar panels - but at this time of year - it is mostly from cheap rate overnight charging. We could do the washing within the cheap rate period of course - but who wants to do the washing at 1AM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prior to arranging collection of my car, I messaged the dealership requesting that the update to allow V2L without the car needing to be in ‘ready’ mode, be applied. When I picked up the car, I was told there was no such update.
I have just loaded the tumble dryer, and it is working fine from the car, but obviously still in ready mode. A bit disappointing, but the car is in the garage, so it’s okay.
Guess I have to wait until next year to get updates at first service.
I run mine no problem - just set to ‘discharge’ in the car infotainment menu - lock the charge port (again from the infotainment menu) - get out and lock the car - no need to leave the car in ready mode - mine is on the drive - so I would not want to do that.

I run mine no problem - just set to ‘discharge’ in the car infotainment menu - lock the charge port (again from the infotainment menu) - get out and lock the car - no need to leave the car in ready mode - mine is on the drive - so I would not want to do that.
I have the ZS, so I think it may be different.

One thing to note / perhaps check - does your car recognize a discharge cable has been plugged in - a blue symbol - on the driver screen in front of the steering wheel - it might be that your car does not recognize that a discharge cable is being used.

[ Edit Coulomb: There are many other V2L threads, e.g. V2L, V2H, V2G - How does it work with MG EVs?, V2L - Useful?, DIY V2L, etc. Title-only search for V2L. ]

Does anyone know how to get hold of a Vehicle 2 Load (V2L) lead to use with the 2022 MG ZS EV Long Range? I am waiting on a response from MG UK but there doesn't seem to be much information available other than the fact the specification states the car has a Vehicle to Load capability at a maximum load of 2200 watts. The V2L capability is of little benefit unless you have a V2L cable to use it!
I used this supplier. It seems to work fine. I asked for a weatherproof connector to be fitted just in case I needed it.

Prior to arranging collection of my car, I messaged the dealership requesting that the update to allow V2L without the car needing to be in ‘ready’ mode, be applied. When I picked up the car, I was told there was no such update.
I have just loaded the tumble dryer, and it is working fine from the car, but obviously still in ready mode. A bit disappointing, but the car is in the garage, so it’s okay.
Guess I have to wait until next year to get updates at first service.
That’s a bit odd @Susanna ?.
I was under the impression that MG Tech had just released an update for ZS EV facelift, to allow the car to discharge via the V2L cable without the need for the car to be in READY mode and be locked 🔒?.
I know Miles mentioned it on the last pod cast.
His friend and forum pal Jake has a black facelift and Miles told him to get in touch ?.
@Miles Roberts CG can you reconfirm our understanding regarding this update for the facelift model please ?.
Is it covered by a MG - SA number or a after sales update etc ?.
Thanks Miles 🙏 for any information you are able to provide.

Apologies Susanna - I did not appreciate that - I have no experience with the Electric ZS - perhaps they will update eventually and offer the same functionality as the MG4.
@Miles Roberts CG stated in a podcast that an update is already available. I think I have just been unlucky that my dealership didn’t believe what I told them! At least I can still use the facility, so it’s not really an issue.

We brought a commando socket version from EV Cables Ltd for our MG4 SE SR ; married through the wall to a double 3 pin socket (so we do not have to run the cable through an open window). We have just done the Saturday morning wash (40 degrees) and the wash load is now in the tumble dryer for 80 minutes. The full cycle (wash and then dry) uses about 8% of the battery to complete. We charge overnight from our cheap rate or from our solar panels - but at this time of year - it is mostly from cheap rate overnight charging. We could do the washing within the cheap rate period of course - but who wants to do the washing at 1AM.
Hi CSL 8% out the battery is about right I always say 1kWh = is about 2%, so wash cycle at 40 degrees about 1kWh and then your tumble dry 80 minutes for a 2kW dryer around 3kWh, 4kWh in total =8% of battery used, now our washing machine has a timer delay on it so if yours doesn’t have you tried using a plug in timer.

On our previous machine we could use one but what we had to do to make it work was start the machine going and then turn off the socket and then pull the plug out plug the timer into the socket and switch the socket back on now set the timer up to when ever you want it to kick up again plug the wash machine plug into that timer and the machine would then run when the timer turn on and sent power to the machine.
So in short start the washer and then stop it by killing the power but the machine is still switched on as it would be in a power cut might not work with every washing machine but did with our one but k know on some you would have to reset the wash cycle on the machine but worth a try and if it works you can do you wash side of things while your cheap energy rate is active.
Washing machine tend to be ok to leave but I would never leave a tumble dryer unattended they have been known to catch fire if something goes wrong anyhow just a suggestion may not work with yours
Les

Edited Coulomb: fixed units.

Hi CSL 8% out the battery is about right I always say 1kw = is about 2%, so wash cycle at 40 degrees about 1kw and then your tumble dry 80 minutes for a 2kw dryer around 3kw 4kw in total =8% of battery used, now our washing machine has a timer delay on it so if yours doesn’t have you tried using a plug in timer.

On our previous machine we could use one but what we had to do to make it work was start the machine going and then turn off the socket and then pull the plug out plug the timer into the socket and switch the socket back on now set the timer up to when ever you want it to kick up again plug the wash machine plug into that timer and the machine would then run when the timer turn on and sent power to the machine.
So in short start the washer and then stop it by killing the power but the machine is still switched on as it would be in a power cut might not work with every washing machine but did with our one but k know on some you would have to reset the wash cycle on the machine but worth a try and if it works you can do you wash side of things while your cheap energy rate is active.
Washing machine tend to be ok to leave but I would never leave a tumble dryer unattended they have been known to catch fire is something goes wrong anyhow just a suggestion may not work with yours
Les
Hi Les - Our washing machine has a built in delay timer ⏲️ so we use the off peak tariff for this.
The tumble dryer does not have a timer and I agree with you, not comfortable using it unattended in the wee small hours.
This could be a good opportunity to use the V2L cable in day time hours though ?.
Tumble dryers are a hungry beast with regards to energy consumption, last time I used it, the home energy monitor was hitting 3 kW when the heating element kicked in !.
This is above the recommended discharge rating for the ZS EV at 2.2 kW I believe ?.
Please correct me if I have my figures wrong.
Having the car in READY mode while using the V2L is not a great idea anyway on the facelift models.
Miles did mention to Jake in the last pod cast, that a new update has been released to correct this issue.
I have asked Miles for clarification.

Edited Coulomb: Fixed units.

It's confusing isn't it!
European standard, the car side is MALE, cable is FEMALE->MALE, Charger is FEMALE.
Chinese GB/T, car is FEMALE, cable both MALE, charger is FEMALE.

So I think the correct adapter, must have FEMALE type 2 on one side, and a normal socket, Schuko or UK Type G on the other side.

Will wait for @Ding 's adapter, hope it'll work and we can save some pretty pennies.
So they are not gender neutral then 😂😂

This is above the recommended discharge rating for the ZS EV at 2.2 kW I believe ?.
The rating of 2.2 kW seems to be very cautious, possibly over cautious. The inverter seems to deliver considerably higher power, but it's not known if the cooling system or V2L specific components can handle the higher loads continuously.

One would think that it should be no problem, as the charger can certainly handle 6-7 kW continuously when charging. But there may be a component in there (perhaps a relay?) that only operates when in V2L mode, that component is only rated for 10A AC, which would then be overloaded with more than about 2.2 kVA of V2L load. But if that was the case, you'd think that the firmware would issue a warning and eventually cut off the load when overloaded.

The rating of 2.2 kW seems to be very cautious, possibly over cautious. The inverter seems to deliver considerably higher power, but it's not known if the cooling system or V2L specific components can handle the higher loads continuously.
Yeah I agree it maybe over cautious, but if the inverter was over stretched and then a fault appeared, would the MG software integrate the inverters discharge use via the V2L ?.
If it could be proved the inverter had been over stretched, would this result in a warranty claim being rejected ??.
Pure guess work on my part here @Coulomb ??.

My tumble dryer is rated at 3kw and when I tried running it from the V2L it ran for a short while then cut out, presumably because the inverter was overloaded.
That pretty much confirms my personal thoughts to be honest in #333 post above.
A full load of clothes drying on a high heat setting, for what could be over 1 hour, feels a bit OTT.
Check what your washing machine is pulling,
Is that not a lower load option ?.
For the same reason I would not be comfortable using a fast boil kettle ( 2.5 - 3 kW ) on a V2L cable either.
A much shorter high demand compared to a tumble dryer of course, but they do set a recommended load limit of 2.2 kW for a reason I guess.
I would just favour using a lower wattage kettle myself personally.

I couldn’t find the rating for my tumble dryer anywhere, but it’s a heat pump one, so fairly economical, I believe, but the load takes a long time. It ran fine from the V2L, over a period of two and a half to three hours. I must have another look at the door label - surely the rating would be on there?

Christmas project. Anyone identify these screws? Look hexagonal to me. Allen key will sort of fit but cannot get purchase so wondering about hex ball drivers?
IMG_20221204_122602.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom