Vehicle to Load (V2L) - Any Information or First Hand Experiences?

I think they have missed a trick there
Why not have a 3pin socket or equivalent in the boot? Or under bonnet
Honda e has a 3 pin socket in the car. It's obviously doable. I guess a ploy to make extra £££ on "official" after-sales accessories.

That's a much more sensible price (more or less in line with the component cost if one was to try and build it one's self, perhaps even cheaper). I like that it has a universal plug too, so will work with US, EU and UK plugs (as we have devices that use all of those!)

Are you happy to share the link?
Not sure how to share a link. I use the Alibaba App on my phone. We do quite a bit of business through them. I will have a look and see what I can do.

I think this is it…

Check out this product on Alibaba App two-way charger electric cars Extension socket Power Strip Surge Protector Vehicle-to-load (V2L) Bidirectional charge adapter
Alibaba Manufacturer Directory
1647269003919.png

OK, challenge accepted, lol.
I'd love to see you use 2.5kW of power from a real life V2L situation, I'd also love to see the cable you run from the car into your home and then to the devices you suggest above (one would assume that you moved the fridge and kettle into the same room as the TV, router etc.?) - this is not a realistic use for V2L, perhaps you are confusing it with V2H?
V2L is designed for 'out and about' uses such as charging electric bikes, scoots, perhaps for devices such as a coffee machine and lights when camping etc., not for powering your house during a powercut.
Lastly, solar generators do not use petrol, they use the sun (or leccy) to charge, the 'generator' part if the product type name is a bit of a misnomer ;)
Could power a portable air con unit through a window at night.

An Aircon needs a lot of current to start it, about 3 times the running current, may cause a problem with the inverter.
Is it worth charging for free at Tesco's and running the house on vehicle to load?

An Aircon needs a lot of current to start it, about 3 times the running current, may cause a problem with the inverter.
Is it worth charging for free at Tesco's and running the house on vehicle to load?
Charge up on cheap rate electric overnight, then use V2L for the house during the day :). That’s more what V2G-H is about because you can actually get enough out to power the house use V2G-H.

Last edited:
V2L is a complete gimmick, I just can't see where it would be of much, or any value in the real world. Many of the car companies are promoting it to use when one goes camping - for the price of those adapters it's possible to buy a low-end solar generator and for around a hundred euros more add the portable panels (so don't need to recharge from mains) to give you far more flexibility than having to be within a few feet of the car (and compromising the range by using up your battery).

For example: 89.94£ |500w/peak 1000w portable power station 568Wh 153600mah Outdoor camping generator lithium battery (100w solar panel Optional )|Solar Battery Chargers & Charging Kits| - AliExpress

I'm sure there will be people for whom V2L will solve world hunger, but unless the adapters are sensibly priced, I can't see how this will really take off or be of use for anyone.
V2L uses may be limited but there are circumstances where it's proved useful:

V2L uses may be limited but there are circumstances where it's proved useful:

Great video. This is exactly what I see V2L being used. I have always been raised to be self resilient. V2L is great for those situations food in a fridge can easily be £100 if it could save my fridge twice during lifetime of vehicle that would be fantastic. In addition you can bring power back home. Hop in a car drive to rapid charger come back home 1 hour later and you can run power for another couple of days if you need to.

One thing I would like is vehicle to home so you don't need to daisy chain extension leads or keep a window slightly open to run a cable into a house. You could charge to full off peak and feed back into a house during peak time. I am just a huge fun of things that can have multiple uses.

I wish I had know this about 9 months ago !.
As I replaced the tethered lead on my wall box, due to some twists in the outer casing of the lead.
I disposed of the charging gun, as I had no use for it at the time - Dooh :mad: !.

Mennenkes type 2 plug, £36 on Aliexpress. :)

Any electricians or electrical engineers on this forum see any problems with this?
I can't see any problems with this. Though the Hyundai adapter apparently has a thermal shutoff, in case the socket gets hot. That would not be difficult to add DIY either. It would just go in series with the resistor.

Possibly a residual current breaker might be a good idea, though it's not clear whether it would work without a connection to earth. An earth connection is tricky on a vehicle with rubber tyres. The manufacturers' V2L adapters don't seem to have them, so I guess that's OK.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom