Thanks for suggestions - chucked it down here last night and the swimming pool has returned worse than it has ever been, utter joke. I took a day off for the dealer to put a watering can on it and say they couldn’t find it - are there no TSBs or are we just all dreaming that the things are filling with water ?

It wasn’t that deep last night so this is happening whilst static minimum.

Attachments

• 8CC57941-D565-4CE9-81A7-AD871E2DCD0E.jpeg
    8CC57941-D565-4CE9-81A7-AD871E2DCD0E.jpeg
    423.8 KB · Views: 162
Someone on Facebook has had water in boot and their garage has found that it's getting in behind the rear bumper.

My Ford Focus had a similar problem. The water was running down the gully at the side of the tailgate, round the rear light unit and entering the boot via the cabin air vent seals behind the bumper. The solution was to take the bumper off and reseat the vents using a silicon adhesive.
These boot / cabin vents ( when incorrectly installed or faulty ) can allow water to enter into boot space, this can be a common problem across many manufacturers.
The plastic frame of the vent assembly can becoming distorted.
I will include a couple of photo’s of a relatives Ford Focus, that had been badly affected by this problem.
Customer complained of a stale smell in the car and that it was constantly fogging up the glass.
There was SO much water in the boot, it then started to migrate into rear carpet area !.
The fix was to install new vents and ensure they were correctly seated.
This vents are usually located behind the rear bumper cover and are sited in the rear quarter of each side of the car.
I will try and find a video that displays the issue on the Focus.
I think the MG will have a similar method of providing a cabin / boot vent quickly.
These vents have a one way plastic flap valve system arrangement, that allows the trapped air inside of the car to escape, when the large hatchback lid is closed down shut.
Sometimes you can hear the flaps allowing air to escape, as the hatchback lid is closed down quickly.
It’s rare the plastic flaps themselves are the direct problem, it’s the frames themselves that are not fitted or sealed correctly to the body shell.
In the video, you can see how the rain water leaves the roof and is then directed down the gutters of the hatchback, then it travels behind the rear bumper cover.
It then flows directly down to the boot vent location, on each side of the car.
If these vents are incorrectly installed, or the frame of the vents are distorted.
This how water ingress is allowed to enter the boot space.

IMG_1228.jpeg

IMG_1229.jpeg

Last edited:
These boot / cabin vents ( when incorrectly installed or faulty ) can allow water to enter into boot space, this can be a common problem across many manufacturers.
The plastic frame of the vent assembly can becoming distorted.
I will include a couple of photo’s of a relatives Ford Focus, that had been badly affected by this problem.
Customer complained of a stale smell in the car and that it was constantly fogging up the glass.
There was SO much water in the boot, it then started to migrate into rear carpet area !.
The fix was to install new vents and ensure they were correctly seated.
This vents are usually located behind the rear bumper cover and are sited in the rear quarter of each side of the car.
I will try and find a video that displays the issue on the Focus.
I think the MG will have a similar method of providing a cabin / boot vent quickly.
These vents have a one way plastic flap valve system arrangement, that allows the trapped air inside of the car to escape, when the large hatchback lid is closed down shut.
Sometimes you can hear the flaps allowing air to escape, as the hatchback lid is closed down quickly.
It’s rare the plastic flaps themselves are the direct problem, it’s the frames themselves that are not fitted or sealed correctly to the body shell.
In the video, you can see how the rain water leaves the roof and is then directed down the gutters of the hatchback, then it travels behind the rear bumper cover.
It then flows directly down to the boot vent location, on each side of the car.
If these vents are incorrectly installed, or the frame of the vents are distorted.
This how water ingress is allowed to enter the boot space.

View attachment 22134

View attachment 22135

I also replaced the grommets with tower grommets pointing downwards with a small hole in the end to allow any water that did accumulate to drain out.

1702277278940.png

Urgh swimming pool again - it’s starting to smell like a pond. I don’t know how I’m going to get this sorted I work full time (new job) so can’t do time off really. Has anybody had definite answer as to what this is ?

Hi all just having a tidy up and noticed the boot floor is wet underneath the tray where the pump and towing eye sits any one have this issue at all thanks.
Yes, I have noticed the same problem today. It's even gone through to the rear seats. Good job no one sits in the rear often. A puzzle as to where it's coming from.

Hi all just having a tidy up and noticed the boot floor is wet underneath the tray where the pump and towing eye sits any one have this issue at all thanks.
yes I have leak in mg4 boot also , lift up the boot floor tray and it's soaking on underside and is the carpet floor of boot beneath. Mine is lrak also migrating to rear seat base - not good. I have it booked into MG and I suggest you do the same. I can only speculate on where it maybe coming from so just take a photo and let MG deal with it.

Hello friends. I had the same problem. The car dealer identified the problem. He said it was caused by air ducts in the boot. He also said that he insulated the tail lamp. There has not been any problems for about 10 days.
Seeing as ingress happens mainly when driving - I think I have the same. It goes in Tuesday …

Hello friends. I had the same problem. The car dealer identified the problem. He said it was caused by air ducts in the boot. He also said that he insulated the tail lamp. There has not been any problems for about 10 days.
That is great news..
This can be a problem on cars made by other manufacturers also, as high lighted in my #82 post above.

Happened to have a look under where the puncture kit lives the other day, see pictures of what I found...
Thats one centimetre of water!
The dealer has just called me, its a fault thats known to M.G; The remedy is pull the bumper off and shove some sealant there somewhere, my car has always been prone to misting up, if yours is the same, go and take a peep, put your wellies on first!
Nick

Attachments

• 20240326_084906.jpg
    20240326_084906.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 20240325_180713.jpg
    20240325_180713.jpg
    579.2 KB · Views: 72
I'm getting the same problem on my MG5 . I had thought it was related to my recently repaired rear washer feed issue...wrong . Dried it out and first bit of heavy rain and swimming pool has returned . Phoning the dealer on Monday so that they can look at it this year....hopefully ;)

I have just purchased a one year old mg trophy from a dealership and I have found water in the boot has anyone else had this problem

Have a look at this thread:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel