Hopefully that will be the issue, I have heard of this before, just annoying as I have no idea what damage the water is doing to the internal structure of the boot as well as the wiring looms.

On the MG4 there are already drilled and tapped holes in the frames to accept the front and rear numberplates. It's just that some lazy dealers don't go to the effort of drilling the numberplates to suit the existing holes - rather they drill new holes and use self-tapping screws.

Sticky pads will eventually become unsticky. :) (I've seen this at a manual car wash - a BMW in front of me lost its rear numberplate after being pressure washed).

Hopefully that will be the issue, I have heard of this before, just annoying as I have no idea what damage the water is doing to the internal structure of the boot as well as the wiring looms.
My mg4 had the same issue with water in boot lid, when open boot it used to gush out. Mainly happened when parked on an incline on driveway. I never got this sorted as rejected the car. Boot some days used to be drenched. It went in for a new seal but it didn’t fix the issue. Sorry can’t help u any further.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Car goes into dealers tomorrow, hopefully they can sort it out. I have had the vehicle since March, waited for a few months for appointment, not sure how long you get to reject car, hopefully won't get to that stage.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Car goes into dealers tomorrow, hopefully they can sort it out. I have had the vehicle since March, waited for a few months for appointment, not sure how long you get to reject car, hopefully won't get to that stage.
Within 6 months. Mine had several faults. You have to give them 1 opportunity to fix any issues before rejecting. It was a long process. Hope you don’t have to come to that, hopefully u can get sorted.

When did you report the fault to the dealer? (That's what matters - not when they deign to look at it). But the 6 months timeline is merely for whether the fault was deemed present at the time of sale (so seller needs to prove otherwise), or whether it was caused by the consumer (so consumer may be required to prove otherwise). Your consumer rights are unchanged in either case - if a fault is proven/accepted then they're allowed one opportunity to make the goods (car) conform to contract; if a fault further develops (whether the same or a different one) then you have the right to reject the goods (car) for a refund.

Hi, thank you for the valued information.
Car picked up in 18th March and first reported to dealership on the 12th September.
Using a different dealership for repair due to distance of original dealer. Hopefully they will fix issue and I can enjoy the car for many years.

Dealer just rang me to give an update.They have done a water test and the ingress is evident as they can hear the water inside. They have inspected the boot lid but can't fathom our how it's getting in. They have asked if I'm desperate for the vehicle back, which I'm not, it's now off to there body shop for further investigation.

Just out of curiosity decided to see if vehicle had been taken to body shop by using ismart find my vehicle, tells me it's in Brussels and not Warrington 😂😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231028-121743.png
    Screenshot_20231028-121743.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Car has now been with dealer since last Friday between service dept and body shop. The body shop have kept me up to date on a daily basis, very happy with them, they have tried every which way to identify issue but no matter what they do they cannot replicate the water ingress which happens outside my premises. The last conversation with body shop told me they had kept hosepipe on for an hour, jet wash on it, removed number plate to check holes all with no water ingress. If update has been done then will get vehicle back tomorrow, if the water ingress happens again the body shop manager told me to bring it back in with the water still on the lid to help them identify the issue.

The vehicle has now been returned to service department on Friday. Contacted them yesterday and they haven't done the update on vehicle. Hopefully will get it back Monday.

Morning, they must be doing update this morning, had three alerts on phone with brake alarm activation

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
The body shop tried every which way to get the water to ingress with no success.
They informed me of this and told me if it happens again leave the water in it and bring it straight back in. But concerned that no phone call after update this morning.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back