What is the MG4 Battery Saver Mode meant to do?

Thank you for the comments. My guess is also on something related to the updates they did. It’s very odd as what they looked at was nothing to do with power. It’s a shame as the car has been great apart from the odd emergency stop for no reason. I believe the braking issue happens on numerous other manufacturers as well. I’ll update after my next fun visit to the dealer.
I've had this problem with my MG 4 luxury over here in Norway. The car would lose power at 21-15% and not give more than 36% power then rapidly no more then 16%.

This happened after they updated the BSM. After fighting with my dealer and MG themselves forever even to get them to admit it was a fault and not normal for the car. (It ended up with me being stopped by the police at 13% as the car wouldn't go more then 30 kph uphill on a 90 road). I've sent them the report from the police, contacted a lawyer. Suddenly they agreed this was not normal (mind you the car had already been in several times, and they couldn't find an error message), so they flew in an engineer from Holland or something. Was without the car for about 5 weeks.

However they seem to have fixed the problem. I'm not sure what they did or anything, but at least they now recognise it's a problem and that the car shouldn't be working like that. But damn it was a struggle, lots of fighting, angry emails, phone calls, in and out with the dealer. Not impressed by MG at all. Horrible customer service. And at least in Norway there's really no way for us to contact MG themselves, as everything needs to go through the dealer. However one of the local dealers gave me the number of a person in MG Norway, and that helped.

Last edited by a moderator:
................But damn it was a struggle, lots of fighting, angry emails, phone calls, in and out with the dealer. Not impressed by MG at all. Horrible customer service. And at least in Norway there's really no way for us to contact MG themselves, as everything needs to go through the dealer. However one of the local dealers gave me the number of a person in MG Norway, and that helped.

This is my big concern with MG and may well put be off buying another MG in the future.

Even though I love my current one I have a fear in the the back of my mind of exacty what you say if anything should go wrong .... endless fights, emails, time delays, parts delays, dealer delays, no courtesy car supplied, incompetent dealers etc. etc. I just have no faith in the MG Servicing Network. The respone to my steering vibration compalint from MG UK and my supplying dealer was atrocious. No help at all 😡😡

I would suggest the next poll similar to the "Are you enjoying yout MG4" which seems to constanty pinned on the homepage should be "How do you rate your MG Dealer for Servicing and Sorting out Faults" 👍👍

And I ran a poll on this months ago, will have a look and maybe re-run:

The main secret is to find a competent dealer that cares. They are definitely out there.

The main secret is to find a competent dealer that cares. They are definitely out there.
Honestly, my dealer over here in Norway just said they have to do whatever MG says; if they say there is no fault, they can't really do anything. (And even though my dealer confirmed the fault with video, and all that, there was no error message in the system, so MG said nothing was wrong.)

MG is a nightmare, and honestly when I had the problem they sent over at lest 20 pages of "how the battery would preform during cold weather" and so on, and refused to acknowledge there was something wrong with the car... And to be fair, my car dealer was amazing, and did all they could, but they kept getting replays from MG "this is normal".

And honestly, if it hadn't been for the fact that I was stopped by the police and a report was filed, which in point of fact is saying the car is illegal and a danger to drive on the road under 21-15%, they wouldn't have done shit. (According to Norwegian law driving under the speed limit is also a hazard and therefore punishable and not allowed during certain conditions, and driving at 30-40kph in a 90 road is definitely not all right, thereby making the car illegal to drive with that fault under said %.)

Last edited:
I've had this problem with my MG 4 luxury over here in Norway. The car would lose power at 21-15% and not give more then 36% power then rapidly no more then 16%.

This happened after they updated the BSM. After fighting with my dealer and MG themselves forever even to get them to admit it was a fault and not normal for the car. (It ended up with me being stopped by the police at 13% as the car wouldn't go more then 30 kph uphill on a 90 road). I've sent them the report from the police, contacted a lawyer. Suddenly they agreed this was not normal (mind you the car had already been in several times, and they couldn't find an error message), so they flew in an engineer from Holland or something. Was without the car for about 5 weeks.

However they seem to have fixed the problem. I'm not sure what they did or anything, but at least they now recognise it's a problem and that the car shouldn't be working like that. But damn it was a struggle, lots of fighting, angry emails, phone calls, in and out with the dealer. Not impressed by MG at all. Horrible customer service. And at least in Norway there's really no way for us to contact MG themself, as everything needs to go through the dealer. However one of the local dealers gave me the number of a person in MG Norway, and that helped.

That really, really sounds like the Bowfer issue, and again appearing after a software update rather than in a new, recently-purchased car.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Mine triggers at 30% with still 60 miles range left today was doing 41 mph on motorway up a very gentle slope once it got to the top and the road levelled out would only do 55mph foot full to floor !!!
Today power was reduced unannounced at 25% battery power to 70% max power. Thus must be a fault. In for a service next month.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back