Which wall charger?

@bollard1969 was the price quoted for your installation from a recommended Hypervolt fitter? Or a local electrician? Like @Joe above, mine was £629 but I need a couple of other parts.

My Hypervolt installation is a bit more complex because I'm having my Consumer Unit upgraded to an 18th Edition at the same time. The Hypervolt element of the total invoice comes in at £568 inc VAT after the OZEV grant.
That price is in line with mine the. Don’t forget to join the Facebook group. The CEO of Hypervolt, Flavian Alexandru, is also a member so any questions, queries or problems are promptly dealt with.

That price is in line with mine the. Don’t forget to join the Facebook group. The CEO of Hypervolt, Flavian Alexandru, is also a member so any questions, queries or problems are promptly dealt with.
I’ve had good email communication this week from Nick Wood at Hypervolt to find me an installer in Glasgow. Hopefully it’ll work out as I like the sound of their technology.

Had quotes for £845/£880 for a Zappi 2 with its own mini-consumer unit, so hoping Hypervolt will be comparable.

Thanks for the replies everyone, really amazing how quick you people are at helping out.

In reply to some questions, I'm not really a Facebook fan to be honest, not a member and don't really want to join. The quote is from Hypervolt's recommended installer. I was just drawn by the enthusiasm on here for the Hypervolt coupled with Artisan Electrics YouTube video and liked the idea of future proofing in case I get solar at a later date. It seemed to do the same as the Zappi, but at a more competitive price, though I'm not sure about that anymore. But as it seems that mine is a straight-forward install I'm not sure why the price is so high compared to others on here.

As an Octopus Energy customer I think the next thing to do is get a quote from them, but the Hypervolt charger does not seem to be an option on their website.

I took the route of contacting local electricians and that was quite interesting.
There's a thread on it HERE.

My Hypervolt install cost £745 inc.VAT after grant, via EV-Wales... More than some units, but in the ball-park. Anyway, v.happy with it, so far...

Received an e.mail from "British Gas" no less today !.
Asking if I was interested in one of there "thousands" of EV experts would like to come and install us a new 7.0 kw "CHARGER" at my home !.
I just wonder if just ONE of there ( Quote:- ) "thousands" of EV EXPERT is "Palm Slapping" his forehead right now.
Because he or she though they where doing to be installing a EVSE / Wall Box and NOT a "Charger" to peoples properties :ROFLMAO: .
Bit of a shame as the so called "Charger" is an integral part of a EV car - but never mind.
British Gas Offer 2021-08-12 at 20.33.20.png

Received an e.mail from "British Gas" no less today !.
Asking if I was interested in one of there "thousands" of EV experts would like to come and install us a new 7.0 kw "CHARGER" at my home !.
I just wonder if just ONE of there ( Quote:- ) "thousands" of EV EXPERT is "Palm Slapping" his forehead right now.
Because he or she though they where doing to be installing a EVSE / Wall Box and NOT a "Charger" to peoples properties :ROFLMAO: .
Bit of a shame as the so called "Charger" is an integral part of a EV car - but never mind.
View attachment 4403
To be fair, most people don't know or care about the difference. It's still a thing to plug your car in to charge it up.
It's probably the right phrase for their target audience so it's a balancing act between sounding too techy and trying to appeal to a general audience.

To be fair, most people don't know or care about the difference. It's still a thing to plug your car in to charge it up.
It's probably the right phrase for their target audience so it's a balancing act between sounding too techy and trying to appeal to a general audience.
Yeah - Your probably right !.
In the same way that we all use a vacuum cleaner in our house's and NOT a hoover !.
But who call's it a vacuum cleaner - not many people I guess.
Like many things in life, slang terms end's up becoming common phases.
Question :- "Do you have a "Fusebox" or a "Consumer Unit".
Most people who have a C.U. ( Containing NO fuses ) but still call it a fusebox.
Go figure !.

In the same way that we all use a vacuum cleaner in our house's and NOT a hoover !.
Most people who have a C.U. ( Containing NO fuses ) but still call it a fusebox.
Go figure !.
I manage to mix and match. I sometimes have "a breaker go in the fusebox", but then I twitch inwardly when people confuse "less" and "fewer".
I help to keep this mental gymnastics in control by mixing my measurements (mainly to confuse my kids). There's something pleasing about referring to something as 3 foot 4 cm. :)

hi all
zappi now fitted veri happi

1 charging from solar
2 charging from octopus go tariff with timed charge
3 not discharging storage batteri

Go figure !.
"Hoover" has been superseded by "Dyson" in our house. ;)

"Hoover" has been superseded by "Dyson" in our house. ;)
And in our house also !.
We have used one for ages now, the battery is the weakest item, completely fails after a while.
Good job they packed in making EV’s as they would not travel that far 🤣 !.
“Her In Doors” insists on calling it a Hoover and some other things that you will not find in the instruction book when it fails to work !.

And in our house also !.
We have used one for ages now, the battery is the weakest item, completely fails after a while.
Good job they packed in making EV’s as they would not travel that far 🤣 !.
“Her In Doors” insists on calling it a Hoover and some other things that you will not find in the instruction book when it fails to work !.
We recently swapped to a Shark after many years & various cordless Dysons. It's a joy of escape the range anxiety it induced now we have multiple batteries. If only EVs had a common battery pack format for swapping out with a fully charged one. Think I might have seen that on Tomorrow's World or somewhere 🤔

We “GTech” our floor surfaces. It is very light and easy to use. We also have a hand held unit which is powerful and keeps the car clean an tidy. Battery use is about 20-30minutes.

I recently purchased a battery lawnmower. Again it is very light, works well and you don’t have the faff of cables. I have had a Ryobi hedge trimmer for a while since I chopped through the cable of my last one.

Mrs C has a mobility scooter to completes our collection of rechargeable items at home.

And back on topic!
We have been using a Ohme wall charger, together with the octopus Agile tariff last year, but we changed to the ‘Go’ tariff back in January.
So after 12 months our Ohme is probably going to be replaced!!
For the last 6 months we have had the charge point tripping the 32amp rcbo at totally random intermittent times, but normally when one of our EV’s are charging. ( which could of been a nightmare, but we have been lucky so far)
Ohme and smarthome charge ( who installed the Ohme) have been contacted and all they seem to do is pass the buck!
Ohme have tried to sort it remotely ( turned it down to 28amps instead of 32amps) but it still seems to trip randomly when the car is actually taking a charge.
So would I recommend an Ohme?...........
If someone would actually come out and sort the problem then yes I would, but I’m rapidly losing faith with them. Maybe it’s time to change it for a hypervolt charge point?!

With my Pod Point I schedule a charge (PodPoint app) from 0030 - 0430 to take advantage of the Octopus 0.5p per Kw deal, Works fine sometimes, people confuse the charge scheduling from the charger and the cars ability to mange a schedule programme itself as some cars can, MG 5 cannot do this to the best of my knowledge. But it can be plugged in to the pod point and wait for the podpoint to commence the scheduled charge

I’ve had quotes for Zappi and Hypervolt - but the 6.5m tethered Zappi would mean having to reverse out of driveway as need front of car closer to house - not ideal. Hypervolt comes with option of a 7.5m or 10m tethered cable so offers more flexibility for my needs.

Also hearing rumours of slight quality issues as Zappi scale their production capacity as well as a long wait time to get a unit. Hypervolt has better availability and I like the idea of being powered by a RaspberryPi for extensibility via software

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom