Windscreen Washers

I've always (at least for a long time now) noted that the washers are On or Off - they don't have a variable pressure based on how hard you pull on the stalk.

Looks more like there's insufficient pressure behind it. On my MG5 it comes out as a fairly widely dispersed spray.

Looks more like there's insufficient pressure behind it. On my MG5 it comes out as a fairly widely dispersed spray.
Pressure seems ok as if I move them to be ok at a stand still if I drive at 30mph it’s over the roof and again at 60 etc it’s into the top of the bonnet.

Pressure seems ok as if I move them to be ok at a stand still if I drive at 30mph it’s over the roof and again at 60 etc it’s into the top of the bonnet.
I have just got my car and have the same issue as yourself. I've not yet looked at adjusting the jets. Is it a case of using a pin in the jet hole to change the aim point?

I have just got my car and have the same issue as yourself. I've not yet looked at adjusting the jets. Is it a case of using a pin in the jet hole to change the aim point?
Yup, but you’ll still have the same issue, it won’t hit the screen at certain speeds. I took mine to the local dealer and they have ordered some new washer jets to see if that fixes the issue, booked in next week for replacement.

I can confirm that our wipers (trophy) are NOT rain sensing, but normal intermittant. This seems at odds with the manual, which shows "auto" as the first setting on the wiper stalk. Our stalk is marked "int" not "auto". Bit of a surprise, as it seems the manual is misleading! Haven't tested speed-dependence yet.

I can confirm that our wipers (trophy) are NOT rain sensing, but normal intermittant. This seems at odds with the manual, which shows "auto" as the first setting on the wiper stalk. Our stalk is marked "int" not "auto". Bit of a surprise, as it seems the manual is misleading! Haven't tested speed-dependence yet.
Yup, no auto wiper mode. But this thread is about the washer jets, not the wipers themselves.

I thought the auto meant that the intensity was automatic but they still required enabling.

There is a thread on auto wipers, the search top right works quite well 😉. It's the same on all models.

They vary their frequency with your speed, they do not sense rain. I actually prefer this to rain sensors they tend to to get the frequency as I would like it anyway.

Put me also in the list of guys having the issue.

Not sure how to fix it.

Put me also in the list of guys having the issue.

Not sure how to fix it.
There is a picture in the manual how to do it. You need a (very) flat screwdriver to move the jets and they can only be moved vertically. After one hour of fiddling I was not able to adjust them in a way that they would hit the screen while driving. I might be an idiot after all, but this is a very finicky system and I did not want to break them since they seem to be very fragile, too.

The dealer will have to try as the oil leak has reappeared, too.

Found the page in the manual.

6guujZr.png

There is a picture in the manual how to do it. You need a (very) flat screwdriver to move the jets and they can only be moved vertically. After one hour of fiddling I was not able to adjust them in a way that they would hit the screen while driving. I might be an idiot after all, but this is a very finicky system and I did not want to break them since they seem to be very fragile, too.

The dealer will have to try as the oil leak has reappeared, too.
If you use a pin in the hole you can move left and right.

The dealer replaced my jets and they gave a different spray pattern. Still isn’t perfect but a lot better than it was.

Got my wife to film quickly whilst I was driving this morning, but It’s a bit quick to be honest! So I’ll re take the video over the weekend with her! But hopefully you get the jist of the issue.

That's the saddest windscreen jet I have ever seen. Definitely not how it should be, did you end up fixing it? Mine is like a misty spray that covers the whole window, no matter how fast I go or standing still.

That's the saddest windscreen jet I have ever seen. Definitely not how it should be, did you end up fixing it? Mine is like a misty spray that covers the whole window, no matter how fast I go or standing still.
Yeah took it to local dealers and they replaced the jets. It’s not perfect, but it’s better! They hit the bottom of the window and the form a mist spray now. But it does different depending on the speed of the car. If I angle them up to hit half way on the window at a stop, it shoots above the roof at speed! The way I have it now, is a sort of jack of all speeds, master of none - which means we tend to use more washer fluid than we need to. I’ve had to refill the jets about 5 times this year so far - whilst I’ve not had to refill the other ICE car which we filled to full at the same time of filling the MG.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back