Would you buy an MG 4 again?

I have had the MG 4 since November and not been able to use the satnav or remote features. The climate control is unpredictable (set to 23 and it still keeps the aircon on) and the screen flicker and freezes (radio and music froze for an hour on a long trip) from time to time. The garage has not been able to replace the head unit or fix any of the issues.

Am I alone on this and have a dud model or is this a common set of issues? Should I reject it and be done? Some help would be appreciated.
Thats a real shame, I had one of the first MG4’s back in October and I have had no issues whats so ever. I did with my ID3 and didn’t get anywhere complianing even after writing to the motor ombudsman. I wish you luck.

I also rejected my 22 MG ZS EV car, which has never left the dealer and should have been delivered 461 days ago. The dealer stopped communicating with me. MG Finance is useless and refused to communicate, hence a Section 75 claim with the financial ombudsmen which is finally concluding. I also raised a Section 75 claim with the credit card company. The motor ombudsmen complaint is 11 months and waiting.
MG Customer Care lives up to its 1-star Trustpilot reviews
The dealer was shockingly bad Technicians were unskilled and untrained and blew up the battery pack.

ONE POSITIVE I missed a bullet on the shocking depreciation

Would I buy an MG or use HENDY again NEVER?

My SE LR isn't perfect, I can't help but think a software update would help, but I've been too lazy to chase the dealer and book it in. I've done over 7k miles in it, and just 'learned' to accept its quirks. I would buy another one if the quirks were fixed in it.
QUIRKS
Radio randomly turns itself on, despite being set to USB2, when setting off.
Refuses to go into D mode, need to switch to park pump brake then D again.
AC enables itself despite being turned off.
You come around a blind bend, suddenly cyclists, try swerving LKA kicks in and stops u because u didn't indicate first.
Speed limit signs hit and miss.
Automatic full beam only useful on A roads, gets horribly confused on motorways.
Unlocking doors stops charging, needs to be an option to press button to stop charging.
No outside temperature display
Window control difficult to operate, real skill is needed to lower window just a little.

Outside temperature is fine on R13 ... you must have R16 or R21. I believe the latest available is R33 which returns the temperature display.

Probably not. Shit LKA and ACC. Leaking rear lights, 12v battery low warning, Bluetooth disconnecting itself regularly on R46, iSmart not working half the time, noisy heat pump, adaptive lights are terrible, sensors don't handle snow very well, dab radio problems, AC temperatures are way off ... But I'm beyond the point of return, so just have to deal with it, and look out for new updates, which annoyingly have to be done by the dealer, despite having a user upgradable choice in settings.

Quite happy with my MG4. But market and economy has changed quite a bit in a year and MG 4 has had two price increases. If I had known how market would change I would have waited and picked up a used Renault megane e-tech for less than a new MG4, not as fun to drive as rear wheel driven MG4, but better in most other aspects.

I had to replace my car unexpectedly in April. At the time the MG4 was the stand-out field of one in the category of Golf-sized hatchback costing under £30,000. It was a no-brainer. If a better bargain comes along in future, well, it wasn't there when I needed it.

No complaints.

Quite happy with my MG4. But market and economy has changed quite a bit in a year and MG 4 has had two price increases. If I had known how market would change I would have waited and picked up a used Renault megane e-tech for less than a new MG4, not as fun to drive as rear wheel driven MG4, but better in most other aspects.
Agreed with you, if I had my £26,000 again at this moment in time I would buy a year old megane E, Cupra born or 2 year old Tesla model 3.

But it’s all hindsight, the used EV market was a complete mess 1 year ago and the new MG4 seamed like a bargain compared to others plus it seamed like EV’s were only only going to get more expensive - lithium price constantly increasing.

I know I have moaned about this before....
Our 4 is basically used as the second car now, not the main car that it was supposed to be.
Wife doesn't drive it at all, considering it was purchased for her.
Days off, trips to the shops, wife's commute, etc. are all done in our Mini clubman, that's how our experience is going.

No, I wont buy another MG ever.
The only good thing that it has done for us is confirm that we will do Electric again.

What next? (after another 3 years... ) Will see what's newish then, or maybe a used Model 3 dual moter/performance, Mach-E GT or similar.
We picked up a 71 plate Mazda MX30 for the mother-in-law last week. I have been driving it for a couple of days and apart from the the lack of power and range compared to the 4 its a much nicer car to be in and use. For what our 4 has become, basically my commuter car, the Mazda would have done great and be almost half the price. Apples and Oranges and all that, but it show how I feel a two year old car is better than my one year old 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I have moaned about this before....
Our 4 is basically used as the second car now, not the main car that it was supposed to be.
Wife doesn't drive it at all, considering it was purchased for her.
Days off, trips to the shops, wife's commute, etc. are all done in our Mini clubman, that's how our experience is going.

No, I wont buy another MG ever.
The only good thing that it has done for us is confirm that we will do Electric again.

What next? (after another 3 years... ) Will see what's newish then, or maybe a used Model 3 duel moter/performance, Mach-E GT or similar.
We picked up a 71 plate Mazda MX30 for the mother-in-law last week. I have been driving it for a couple of days and apart from the the lack of power and range compared to the 4 it’s a much nicer car to be in and use. For what our 4 has become, basically my commuter car, the Mazda would have done great and be almost half the price. Apples and Oranges and all that, but it show how I feel a two year old car is better than my one year old 4.
You could always sell the MG4, stomach the loss and downgrade to a mx30. I sold mine recently and got offered a decent amount for it, I then “downgraded” to a E-golf that like the mx30 has less range than the MG4 but ultimately is the superior car and actually feels finished not a beta product like the MG4 did.

Would I buy an MG4 again?

After looking at what’s on offer on the company car leasing scheme, the answer is yes. (Only electric or plugin hybrid available)
I’d be tempted by the Kia Niro. But based on what I can afford to commit to every month, the MG4 gives me the better handling which I’m after.

You could always sell the MG4, stomach the loss and downgrade to a mx30. I sold mine recently and got offered a decent amount for it, I then “downgraded” to a E-golf that like the mx30 has less range than the MG4 but ultimately is the superior car and actually feels finished not a beta product like the MG4 did.
I have thought about it, but its potentially a £4k-£5k loss and not sure my stomach wants it that much..... and i can eat! lol

If I mention a BMW will I be banned then?
D_Sutherland_bodysnatchers_scream.jpg

I think reviewers should be forced to review cars for months before reaching a verdict. The MG4 reviews are great, and the safety should be good. Some of them barely mention the killer assistant or any of the problems.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back