Would you buy an MG 4 again?

Well barely a month into my ownership I definitely would buy again. I’d heard all the stories of bad ones people had had and I was hoping I got a good one. Seems pretty good so far, does all I want it to. Has the foibles I already knew about (if I didn’t obviously they’d FEEL like bigger issues but I knew what I was in for) I’ve owned an EV before so there aren’t any range issues and I just LOVE the EV powertrain, so smooth and effortless (not to mention my specific one has a BUNCH of power should you wish it) and all in all, I reckon it was a good buy. I realise I’m still in the honeymoon phase but I know some had encountered issues, had solutions that didn’t work and were rejecting by this point so I’m hoping my trend continues.

As the old adage goes, I intend to live forever, so far so good.

Talking of the power train. Yesterday I was driving back from Edinburgh and (rashly) taking directions from a passenger. Came to a set of traffic lights, where I wanted to go straight on. A long line of cars in the left-hand lane and none in the right-hand lane. I thought I wanted the left-hand lane but my passenger said no, take the right-hand lane. Of course, it was a right-turn filter lane.

I found myself in pole position in that lane, lights still red. My apologetic passenger said, we can still get there if we turn right. I said, that's plan B, let's see if plan A will work. As soon as the lights started to turn I gunned it, shot ahead and was across the junction before a slightly surprised-looking Range Rover that was first in the left-hand lane quite knew what was happening.

He wasn't exactly slow off the junction himself, and he was probably cross with me. I wanted a sign saying sorry, caught in the wrong lane, didn't mean it. But we were OK. If he'd shot off I'd have turned right, but as it was I got the jump on him.

An X-Power would have made mincemeat of him of course.

If you Google 'least reliable car brand' it tends to be the likes of Volvo given their malfunctioning software.

Furthermore, most car forums are full of threads listing gripes from new owners but that's the point. People come here to vent, share, check information and share solutions.

This place wouldn't work if it was just middle-aged men saying how they love their new toys. And anyway, for that we have the XPower threads. 🫣

We replaced our 13 year old Jazz with an MG4 because we wanted an automatic and ideally, electric car.
Our MG distributor (Sandicliffe Nottingham) was more interested in us than the Honda dealer. Also, let's be honest, the MG4 was cheap. The new Honda, which is roughly equivalent to the MG4 is £15000 more expensive and charges for extras, such as using the vehicle's hot-spot.
So far the Trophy has been good but has only had short trips. We've taken a risk and time will tell how justified that was.

Last edited:
Well, less than a month of ownership, so this is pretty much in the "first impression" category, but to be fair, what else could be more relevant... I recall an old friend, who told a story about when they bought an MG Metro back in the early '80s, intend to "save the Brit car industry". She told me they have regret it on the day they took it home, but stick with it for another eight years and the car spent more time in various garages, then their driveway. Finally they scrapped it. (the actual brand is coincidental, and I don't want to compare the MG4 to the Metro in any way)
So I'm a bit puzzled, and undecided yet what to do with this purchase. I did not think about seriously, but I don't want to tell the same story for my grand children in 10 years time.

Sure, the car has pros, and really I don't want to forget that. Also I'm aware of this is a bottom tier car, this is what I can afford... But having the unthought niggly software issues, just because nobody cares (MG), I don't know... anyway at this point my short answer: NO. I wouldn't.

Hah. I had the MG Metro on my short list for my first car in 1985. I thought it was overpriced, and in particular I didn't like the way the back seats folded, leaving a big step in the middle of the load bed.

Exactly the same as in the MG4. They got me in the end.

Reader, I bought a Fiesta.

Am I alone on this and have a dud model or is this a common set of issues?
Picked my MG4 up at the beginning of Oct...2 weeks later all of the climate functions stopped working. The dealer has been good and supplied a courtesy car but I'm starting to wonder whether I've made a big mistake too...currently holding off rejecting the car and going to wait and see what happens.

On the plus side I love the way it drives...and the EV concept works great I think.

Maybe I should have waited a while for some of the new BYD products to arrive in the UK...oh well.

Picked my MG4 up at the beginning of Oct...2 weeks later all of the climate functions stopped working. The dealer has been good and supplied a courtesy car but I'm starting to wonder whether I've made a big mistake too...currently holding off rejecting the car and going to wait and see what happens.

On the plus side I love the way it drives...and the EV concept works great I think.

Maybe I should have waited a while for some of the new BYD products to arrive in the UK...oh well.
I only managed 2 days.......

if you can learn to live with the fact that it will never work as advertised and avoid the temptation to visit a dealer its ok...Although heating would be difficult to ignore 🤔
My aircon stopped working a few times in the summer when it was in the high 30's and I had to pull over a reboot the whole car....annoying but part of the experience

Now a shameless link to my delivery problem video ☺️

I recall an old friend, who told a story about when they bought an MG Metro back in the early '80s, intend to "save the Brit car industry".
There was a big push to buy British but if you looked in BL's workers car park it was full of Japanese cars and yet the unions wanted the government to save the British car industry.

Would you buy an MG4 again? If my car was written off and I got enough from the insurance to buy it new, then yes.

Mine is currently in the garage getting a new rear door after being reversed into (they admitted fault) and the courtesy car, a bottom of the range Toyota Corrolla Touring Sports hybrid, is what the insurance company reckon is the equivalent for their purposes. I certainly wouldn't buy that. There's nothing wrong with it, but there's little it does better than the MG4 that I care about, and a fair bit it does worse. The extra boot space is quite nice though.

LKA being a requirement for NCAP 5 star ratings is putting me off buying any new car again. 😟

There are only so many things you can use these buttons for, but there ought to be a way. If you're being good and haven't turned it off, then it starts misbehaving on a bad road, the actual handbook tells you to turn it off immediately.

Just how you are supposed to do that in a car that's trying to run you into the ditch, as things are currently set up? Eh, MG???

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back