Would you buy an MG 4 again?

Electroverse shows Gridserve chargers at Leicester Forest on both sides of the motorway. However, Gridserve doesn't show them, so as mentioned above they are probably not connected. Last time I saw them they had a notice to say that power was not available.

Last edited:
I don't own an EV (yet) but what I can gather off various forum's Is.
If you do a lot of long journeys then an EV is possibly not for you.
If you do just a few long journeys a year, then an EV is possibly OK, but even they can be a bit challenging.
If you very rarely (If ever) venture out of your own town or city, then an EV could possibly be for you. Simple's. 🙂
P.S. I use the word possibly a lot, because I'm only going off what I've read on this and other forum's. 👍

In answer to the Thread question - Yes. I find my Trophy very comfortable and enjoyable to drive. However, driving an EV is like piloting an aircraft in that there are pre-journey and post checks and you must plan the route carefully with alternative landing/charging sites and during the journey keep an eye on fuel/energy usage.

In answer to the Thread question - Yes. I find my Trophy very comfortable and enjoyable to drive. However, driving an EV is like piloting an aircraft in that there are pre-journey and post checks and you must plan the route carefully with alternative landing/charging sites and during the journey keep an eye on fuel/energy usage.
Which is no different from driving with young children who need stops to eat, drink and poo. Which a significant proportion of adults have done or are doing. You make it sound more complicated than it is.

Which is no different from driving with young children who need stops to eat, drink and poo. Which a significant proportion of adults have done or are doing. You make it sound more complicated than it is.
Agreed it's not too complicated, I don't think I've done a long journey in my previous ICE car without checking route to see how long takes 1st, had electric over 3 years and difference now do the same with zap map to give an idea of where chargers are on route and then when stop for charge, nip to loo, get a coffee back to car and its 80% and ready to go again, car will travel most 2.5-3hrs journey time on a full charge, how many times have you driven an ICE that long without food/drink or Bladder stops even without kids. You do have to have a plan B in mind incase original stop is out of action but its rare you are more than 10mile from another charger or few on most routes.

I don't own an EV (yet) but what I can gather off various forum's Is.
If you do just a few long journeys a year, then an EV is possibly OK, but even they can be a bit challenging.
If you very rarely (If ever) venture out of your own town or city, then an EV could possibly be for you. Simple's. 🙂
P.S. I use the word possibly a lot, because I'm only going off what I've read on this and other forum's. 👍
I have been an EV driver for 6 yrs - I will never go back to ICE

And yes I used to do 125miles a Day 5 days a week in my Leaf 40 - It was perfect for the job

As to a Few long journeys - Well we Took the Leaf 40 from South coast to Glencoe Scotland - NO Issues - Its just called planning your stops with chargers (apps are great for that - But car play Apple / Google - Help with in Car displays of the complaint Apps .. (Back to Planning)

Happy to help sway you if needed ;-)

Ref. the earlier post about needing an app but there being no mobile signal .... I hear you. I stopped at a Wenea charger in Luss, Loch Lomond. I had already downloaded the app ready to use as it was a planned stop - but there was no mobile signal at the charger points so the app never loaded up. 🙄 (I ended up using a ChargePlace Scotland charger at Arrochar).

I have mentioned it before. Not sure if this is true in Scotland someone can check but in England McDonald's have charging. Don't stick to motorways. Usually there is McDonalds near you.

I think if the trips are easily within range of the cars full charge then it's perfectly usable...< 200 mile (MG4 T) round trips I don't really worry about battery/range i think.

I generally don't drive much more than 200 miles anyway in one go so for me not really an issue. If you were doing a known regular 200+ mile trip I'd say you need a bigger battery like the extended range just to reduce the hassle.

In London the convenience of using slow street chargers is a big plus as regular parking here is very expensive.

Hy Guys
I’m not having such a good time atm with my MG4 hence I’ve not been on here yet.
Just had a frightening situation I was stopped turning right into a shop I use five times daily.
A Vw golf came screaming up behind me. My car blared and stalled. I was shaken up.
It’s the anti collision thing I expect but man it’s scary!
Also LKA intermittent.
Hood scratches where window wiper catches.
R16
Not hundreds happy if I’m totally honest.
Yeah it goes like the proverbial but I am not a fast driver so 🤷‍♂️
I will say I’ve spent a tenner on electricity for the car since Oct 23 as I don’t go far which I’m happy with.
She’s going in next week for a full check and update so fingers crossed.
Ps don’t miss rear wiper/rear seat and see Merc without rear wipers so..
Hope alls well 😃

The MacMaster acolytes all intoning, maybe EVs are OK for local trips to the shops but that's it. But you can go a lot further than the shops. How many people frequently drive more than 150 miles a day? And that's just the MG4. I swan around quite a lot, but not more than that in a day as a rule. I think most people are in that bracket to be honest. Not so good if you have to rely on public charging entirely, and not so good if you have to drive long distances reguarly. But for most people, it's getting to be a no-brainer.

In particular, for a two-car family, having one car an EV makes perfect sense.

I’d probably stretch to the Trophy rather than the LR SE - I miss four speakers for music and retractable wing mirrors!

I’d probably stretch to the Trophy rather than the LR SE - I miss four speakers for music and retractable wing mirrors!
The cameras are really nice to have also, along with the heated steering wheel.

It's a shame a heat pump wasn't included on the trophy also, especially as it's included on some of the EU MG4s!

I was asked the title of thread the other day and made me think about it , and probably no I wouldn’t buy again .
Just too many glitchy issues that are all well documented (tyre pressure monitoring issues constantly, rattling boot , cheap feeling , annoying lane departure etc ) in another 2 and a bit years when it goes back I won’t be looking too hard at another MG 4

TBF I partially agree with many of the comments but having owned an early Mk8 Golf I can say for sure that so far my MG4 has been much less annoying/glitchy than the Golf. Many of the same glitches / annoyances (e.g. LKA) are present on many new ICE cars too. I could direct you to a Golf R forum and you would come away feeling just the same about whether to buy another Golf Mk 8. There is a 325 page thread alone on Golf R Gremlins with a few people rejecting their cars 😩 Faults / annoyances on my Golf included the ACC mixing up mph to kph so you suddenly slowed down !; LKA on every startup; Default driving mode every startup; infotainment screen woes (freezing), sudden emergency braking applied for no reason. Frequent CarPlay problems. All sounds familiar 🙂

First week owning the Xpower.

It's been a hoot flying off and leaving everyone else as specks in my rear vision mirror.

The small details are irksome but so far I'm having a blast.
Most cars will have irksome details. Enjoy your motor! No doubt you will. 🙂👍

I have had my MG4 for 3 months now and I absolutely love it. I have it on salary sacrifice for 3 years. Would I get another one when my contract runs out? Absolutely. For what there is available now I am torn between the MG4 Trophy extended range and the Volvo EX30 though. The choices the choices

Ref. the earlier post about needing an app but there being no mobile signal .... I hear you. I stopped at a Wenea charger in Luss, Loch Lomond. I had already downloaded the app ready to use as it was a planned stop - but there was no mobile signal at the charger points so the app never loaded up. 🙄 (I ended up using a ChargePlace Scotland charger at Arrochar).
Why can't the apps have a Bluetooth option to talk direct to the chargers, it would eliminate these reception issues and cost them a few quid on each charger.

I had some phone reception problems when we holidayed in Scotland, but luckily, I had ordered a Charge Place Scotland RFID card and already had an Electroverse card and could use those at the chargers in question instead.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back