Would you buy an MG 4 again?

I want to comment about LKA lane keep assist. My first experience of it was my 2017 Hyundai Ionic and that worked very well. I ran with it on all the time. My second experience has been my Tesla Model S when autopilot is engaged. That’s not quite as good as it tends to place the car too far to the left (too close to traffic) on motorways (maybe it’s using an American left hand drive algorithm). On A and B roads it’s average. A bit better than Hyundai in that it can take sharper bends without disengaging but still far from perfect as it gets too close to objects sometimes.
My limited experience indicates that car manufacturers tend to have matured their systems over the decades and newer brands like Tesla and MG have some catching up to do. The auto headlights in my wife’s Fiesta being better than my Model S being another example.
Chinese companies are capable of producing awesome software. Just look at DJI. But I think MG need to refine their LKA system (assuming it’s not bought off the shelf) if they haven’t already. They should move mountains to rapidly fix and roll out all the issues reported across the globe. Presumably easier said than done.

1699436394772.png

#1 be careful reposting the same thing across several threads - that may be seen as spamming.

#2 where is the data for July to October? As it stands those registration numbers come nowhere near 10k.

Right NOW the answer is yes, as there is nothing else with quite the comparable feature set for the price in the UK, but as I've said elsewhere the software is BAD, and the LKA etc borderline dangerous. I've had multiple random unnecessary emergency stops across the months albeit it has been improved since day 1, and the Lane keeping is violent and somewhat unpredictable, so I have to keep TJA disabled.

Certain issues have been resolved (bluetooth is MUCH more reliable on R46), but this and lack of options like heatpump in the UK, mean that as the marker starts to mature and replacements for the Ioniq OG and other Chinese brands start to Land mean competition is about to get MUCH harder FOR MG.

If Hyundai had offered an Ioniq with higher than the 38kwh for a similar price I'd have taken that in a heartbeat, but the Kona is more expensive and the OG Ioniq discontinued, it felt more mature and was definitely more efficient - I got 220 miles out of the 38kwh battery at one point and was regular over 180. I'm usually seeing around 200-240 with this which isn't that impressive for the battery size, and the heating and AC feels plain inefficient.

Short and sweet! And to the point. 🙂
For me, the No is because of the interference of a safety system that's reliant on a roads markings that in the UK are shocking. I dislike the driving mode that always defaults normal. Snow mode should be permanent IMHO. And the outside temp should also generate a snow mode warning. Steering wheel feels cheap and tacky and the camera ( I know, soon be Friday) does too much work so if it fails, you'll lose abs. Why that should influence it, I do not know....

Although heating would be difficult to ignore
I didn't mind the AC/Heating not working...but it also disabled the front demist which made it very difficult to drive in the wet as I needed the windows down to see! I've driven Hyundai for 9+ years so Im just not used to things failing!

Used a rapid (150kw) charger yesterday....wow those things really are rapid!

I was also considering buying the MG HS plugin as a second car....that idea has been well and truly cancelled!

I didn't mind the AC/Heating not working...but it also disabled the front demist which made it very difficult to drive in the wet as I needed the windows down to see! I've driven Hyundai for 9+ years so Im just not used to things failing!

Used a rapid (150kw) charger yesterday....wow those things really are rapid!

I was also considering buying the MG HS plugin as a second car....that idea has been well and truly cancelled!
My interest in the Cyberster has diminished 🤔🤨

No I wouldn’t get another EV until the public charging infrastructure is better (maybe having a Tesla would improve things?) . 3000 miles in 6 (or maybe it’s 7) weeks has shown that public charging is a PITA.
Just back from a challenging 2 day (450 mile) trip, using M11, A1, A15. Had similar experiences twice on the same route.
  • Left home on 100% charge thanks to 7.5p Octopus home charging
  • 90 miles in, stopped at Peterborough A1 services. Down to 50%, so 180 miles (estimated) in a car that in ideal conditions is meant to do 270 miles (Trophy)
  • Bank of 6 fast chargers. 1 broken, 4 free and a chap in a Polestar at another. 3 of us in our car had no data service, nor did Mr Polestar. The chargers only work with an app (no credit card) so we were screwed. A random mobile issue, which isn't really an EV fault, but all part of the "experience"
  • Over to the 2 slow chargers, swipe credit card and all good. 40 mins of life wasted waiting to charge. Seems the chargers are dog slow with both cables in use
  • Continue to destination, stopping briefly (15 mins) at a BP charger (excellent) to ensure we had some miles left when at destination
Next day
  • Attend funeral and wake. Depart wake for 8 mins drive to nearest charger. 20 mins sat in car before family call to say "rescue us" from the wake. 8 mins drive back so that's 36 mins of my day wasted, plus it was 89p per unit at this charger !
  • Head to lunch at fish & chip place on the coast. Car park has a charger (Pod Point). Have to download yet another app, register and top up £10 credit. Plug own lead into charger socket A and doesnt work. Socket B starts charging so go and sit down to eat. Look at app on phone and charging has stopped. Out i go again in the rain and unplug, replug and charging starts. Back in café, check app on phone and charging stopped again. Gave up, and got a bill for 6p !. They now have £9.94 of my money and i may never use Pod Point again.
  • Head homeward and stop again at Peterborough A1 services. 6 fast chargers all available (well 1 looked broken as light on top was different colour). Turns out none of them are working. Another car and I tried 4 chargers between us and they just said "connecting" but never did. Called the support number which didnt answer for 5 mins so i hung up.
  • Back to the slow chargers. Added 33% in 40 mins, another 40 mins of my life wasted, eating £1.80 grab bag sized crisps from WHSmith
  • Wife paranoid we wont get home so stop at Stansted. Loads of fast chargers (Apple). None will accept credit card so call support who say try the app. Download (yet another) app and it shows every charger as "unavailable". Bloke in a Merc struggling too who says he also tried Peterborough and Cambridge without joy and was now down to 7 miles remaining.
  • Decided to brave it home with what we had. Turned off heating, drove at 50mph and made it home with 2% to spare. Journey would have been over 1 hr quicker in our ICE car
And don’t mention LKA and collision detection (which seems to come back on even when I turn it off)…Both are a pain. Radio forgets my favourite preset channels, and auto lights come on even when bright and sunny. Do like driving it though, but never again on long trips. The diesel car will do those from now on

Continue to destination, stopping briefly (15 mins) at a BP charger (excellent)
The BP 150kw chargers I used yesterday were superb...think I'll prioritise those in future.

The app thing is just crazy...everywhere I go I seem to need a new app!!

Then there's the phantom chargers that don't physically exist!

There's also the ones that do exist, but aren't on the apps.

Found a new electric forecourt near Hinckley, on ZapMaps. Checked Google streetview, and it's there, in the photo, taken last August. Perfect. ABRP has never heard of it. Meanwhile Zapmaps thinks there's nothing at Leicester Forest East while ABRP has chargers shown on both sides of the motorway.

No I wouldn’t get another EV until the public charging infrastructure is better (maybe having a Tesla would improve things?) . 3000 miles in 6 (or maybe it’s 7) weeks has shown that public charging is a PITA.
Just back from a challenging 2 day (450 mile) trip, using M11, A1, A15. Had similar experiences twice on the same route.
  • Left home on 100% charge thanks to 7.5p Octopus home charging
  • 90 miles in, stopped at Peterborough A1 services. Down to 50%, so 180 miles (estimated) in a car that in ideal conditions is meant to do 270 miles (Trophy)
  • Bank of 6 fast chargers. 1 broken, 4 free and a chap in a Polestar at another. 3 of us in our car had no data service, nor did Mr Polestar. The chargers only work with an app (no credit card) so we were screwed. A random mobile issue, which isn't really an EV fault, but all part of the "experience"
  • Over to the 2 slow chargers, swipe credit card and all good. 40 mins of life wasted waiting to charge. Seems the chargers are dog slow with both cables in use
  • Continue to destination, stopping briefly (15 mins) at a BP charger (excellent) to ensure we had some miles left when at destination
Next day
  • Attend funeral and wake. Depart wake for 8 mins drive to nearest charger. 20 mins sat in car before family call to say "rescue us" from the wake. 8 mins drive back so that's 36 mins of my day wasted, plus it was 89p per unit at this charger !
  • Head to lunch at fish & chip place on the coast. Car park has a charger (Pod Point). Have to download yet another app, register and top up £10 credit. Plug own lead into charger socket A and doesnt work. Socket B starts charging so go and sit down to eat. Look at app on phone and charging has stopped. Out i go again in the rain and unplug, replug and charging starts. Back in café, check app on phone and charging stopped again. Gave up, and got a bill for 6p !. They now have £9.94 of my money and i may never use Pod Point again.
  • Head homeward and stop again at Peterborough A1 services. 6 fast chargers all available (well 1 looked broken as light on top was different colour). Turns out none of them are working. Another car and I tried 4 chargers between us and they just said "connecting" but never did. Called the support number which didnt answer for 5 mins so i hung up.
  • Back to the slow chargers. Added 33% in 40 mins, another 40 mins of my life wasted, eating £1.80 grab bag sized crisps from WHSmith
  • Wife paranoid we wont get home so stop at Stansted. Loads of fast chargers (Apple). None will accept credit card so call support who say try the app. Download (yet another) app and it shows every charger as "unavailable". Bloke in a Merc struggling too who says he also tried Peterborough and Cambridge without joy and was now down to 7 miles remaining.
  • Decided to brave it home with what we had. Turned off heating, drove at 50mph and made it home with 2% to spare. Journey would have been over 1 hr quicker in our ICE car
And don’t mention LKA and collision detection (which seems to come back on even when I turn it off)…Both are a pain. Radio forgets my favourite preset channels, and auto lights come on even when bright and sunny. Do like driving it though, but never again on long trips. The diesel car will do those from now on
But apart from that? 😉🙂

I bought a MY22 SR as it was the only option in my local MG dealer. Bought one as a company car with plans of replacing our ICE fleet with MG4's, but after driving it as a daily for a month I realised I made a mistake because of the "safety" features made it a liability as my salespersonnel is almost all women. (no offence, Im aware of plenty women rally drivers but my employees are not made up of tech geeks nor sharp drivers, just good salesperson)

Currently its my 2nd daily car, I don't want to put too many miles on my new Tesla so if I'm not seeing any clients I just use the MG with DSC off for the fun.

MG4 is a blast to drive with a light 50/50 weight formula and RWD setup, a definitive drivers cars with traits of getting the rear loose thanks to the pizza cutter wheels, but it didnt work out for my case where the safety features actually made it a safety hazard and a liability for my company and employees. My employees rightfully prefer a car they can put in drive and go, not go thru menus to sort things every time they get in.

Where I live there is a 6 month period for brand new cars where you cant sell them, once the 6 month period is done I'm considering selling it and buying an Opel Corsa-e (not sure yet) or wait for the refreshed 2024 Mini SE which is a little pricey but also brings up the image of the company.

However I'm still looking forward for MG to get their stuff together and make the mg4 a solid car by updating the software but call me a pessimist, not seeing it in near future, I hope I am wrong as I quite liked the little guy ;)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back