Aero covers are damaging my alloys

Deleted member 9692

Reaction score
Washed the car today. I noticed last time I washed it that the Aero covers are damaging the alloy wheels, only got round to photographing today. I’m going to report to dealer, getting this “S” shape scratching on all wheels:

259EFC3B-8FF1-4A6A-99B7-F12D4E0E59CC.jpeg

B82ABF48-B38F-47FA-8731-CB65BDD299EF.jpeg

I have these scratches on all 4 wheels. Anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the finish on the alloys is probably quite soft and the more you remove and replace the covers the more scope there is for damage given that installing the covers securely can't be achieved without a certain amount of 'slam'. I have experienced this issue on other cars that use wheel covers although the rims have generally been lower grade painted ones. A possible fix is to put pieces of self-adhesive thin foam tape on the underside of the foil covers at the areas that are causing the scatches (to provide protection against further damage when installing the covers). The tape must be thin as you don't want to compromise the fit. Quite why manufacturers do not include some form of built-in cushioning on the inside of the cover is beyond me (actually some covers do have cushions).

All that being said, there is a possibility that the scratches haven't been caused by the covers. They may possibly have occurred during the tyre installation process if insufficient care was taken to protect the rims (you would hope not though!). However, I'm betting the covers are probably the cause. As Alb suggests you should be able to see whether the underside of the cover is shaped in a way that is likely causing that shape of scratch.

I should add that my car is so new I am yet to remove mine. Something to look forward to.

I guess it will be interesting to hear what the dealer has to say. They may suggest and implement similar to what I have suggested and/or relay the issue to MG, which really needs to come up with a non scratch solution.

Last edited:
Can you relate it to something on the cover?
I can’t easily see how/why it’s happening. I have the same marks on all 4 wheels, it has to be the covers, well either that or my car is haunted.

It’s back with the dealer on 15/12 for breather check and some minor bits. We’ll see what they say.

Any owners who would check their alloys for similar, would be helpful 👍

Yep seen it on all the cars I have looked at (Ours, Neighbours, Dealers)

Was there on pickup. Do wonder if its happening in Transit before the wheel covers are applied as there does not seem to be anything where the damage is from the cover.

Not really fussed as getting ours powder coated black, to go with the orange, but it should not be happening

Good suggestion. The ones in your picture don't go across the face of the wheel but other types might.

Are the scratches too deep to be buffed out with some polishing compound ?.
I think so, and tbh with a new car I’m going to add it to the list for dealer to sort out.

Good suggestion. The ones in your picture don't go across the face of the wheel but other types might.
Those straps have a metal hook at each end. Maybe if incorrectly lashed they wrapped the strap around spoke and then onto the hook. Then just hook the other end onto the lashing pot on the ships deck. Hence the scratches from the metal hook. Like on an elastic bungee strap?

Plot twist.... the MG4 was never supposed to have aero covers. They were only introduced when MG realised that they'd scratched all of the alloys in transit from China ;)

On a side note, do the covers do a decent job of keeping the alloys free of winter grime or is it going to be a pain to be having to remove them whever we wash the car?

Typically 2-3% increase in range is what people tend to report from other makes.

For some people this matters, for others, like me, I am thinking of removing the covers and so the condition of the alloys will matter. I could replace the wheels but that would be a big expense.

On a side note, do the covers do a decent job of keeping the alloys free of winter grime or is it going to be a pain to be having to remove them whever we wash the car?
They do keep some of the grime off but if you are an OCD car washer like me, you still have to take the covers off and wash the alloys before you put the covers back on so that you can’t see the alloys you just cleaned 😂

Washed the car today. I noticed last time I washed it that the Aero covers are damaging the alloy wheels, only got round to photographing today. I’m going to report to dealer, getting this “S” shape scratching on all wheels:

View attachment 13306
View attachment 13307

I have these scratches on all 4 wheels. Anyone else noticed this?
I've just noticed these scratches on this press car in the review at 2mins 26 seconds when he pulls off the covers. So seems like could be common.

MG MG4 Review Autotrader

Noticed same damage when I took the covers off before a visit to a tyre place yesterday.
IMO the damage is caused by people ‘sliding’ the covers around on the alloys to locate them.
Lazy practice at the factory IMO, other factories would have a tool or other better practice to make sure the covers locate properly first time.

Exactly the same on my one, looking at just one wheel it's on the spokes all the way round. Very strange and even though under the covers something I would like resolved.

IMO the damage is caused by people ‘sliding’ the covers around on the alloys to locate them.
Lazy practice at the factory IMO, other factories would have a tool or other better practice to make sure the covers locate properly first time.

Point of order - the trims are only fitted when the car reaches the dealership. So any lazy practice is here in the UK in this case.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back