Can't get CarPlay to work [SOLVED]

I had the same issue on my EV5. Bought it this week. I purchased a new iPhone cable and it’s fine now.

Ok, after much experimentation it seems to be a defective USB-A socket in the car. If I patiently jiggle the plug in exactly the right way CarPlay comes on. Then I carefully take my hand off the cable, it moves a fraction of a mm then goes off again.

So I am going to buy a USB-C to lightning cable instead as I can't believe both sockets will be broken....

Ok, after much experimentation it seems to be a defective USB-A socket in the car. If I patiently jiggle the plug in exactly the right way CarPlay comes on. Then I carefully take my hand off the cable, it moves a fraction of a mm then goes off again.

So I am going to buy a USB-C to lightning cable instead as I can't believe both sockets will be broken....
Don’t think the usb c is for CarPlay - only power.

The USB-C does not work with AA / CarPlay, you have to use the USB-A.

Some people have had loose sockets with this kind of fault, get your dealer to swap it out.

USB-C does indeed provide CarPlay. My son got both his phones working via that socket.

But I'll speak to the dealer in any case as it's a brand new vehicle and everything should work!

Are you 100% certain the USB C allows carplay, as that's new then and would be a new feature on the MY23 models that nobody else yet has noticed. Previous models it was only the USB A that allowed carplay/AA.

The manual states that AA/CP (i.e. mobile phone interconnection) can only be enabled via the left (USB A) socket.

1692790141679.png

Are you 100% certain the USB C allows carplay, as that's new then and would be a new feature on the MY23 models that nobody else yet has noticed. Previous models it was only the USB A that allowed carplay/AA.
Hmmm. My son and I sat in the car at the weekend trying out various permutations, cables, phones etc. so it is possible I lost track of what worked and what didn't

Oh well.. I think I shall try the new cable and also take the car to the dealer and see what they have to say

Hmmm. My son and I sat in the car at the weekend trying out various permutations, cables, phones etc. so it is possible I lost track of what worked and what didn't

Oh well.. I think I shall try the new cable and also take the car to the dealer and see what they have to say
Please let us know how you get on.

Maybe there is a new manual version too?
The USB C port allows a data connection, but in that respect it means for playing media files via the Infotainment screen. The USB A port is the one which shows a phone/car screen symbol next to it, to denote the phone interconnection capability. :)

1692803636698.png

Please let us know how you get on.
Absolutely. Sure will.
The USB C port allows a data connection, but in that respect it means for playing media files via the Infotainment screen. The USB A port is the one which shows a phone/car screen symbol next to it, to denote the phone interconnection capability. :)

View attachment 19725
Ok, thanks for this. It's a bit hard to see unless I crouch down on the floor and peer under the overhang thing, so I think I've generally just been feeling around until the plug goes in! I'd not spotted any symbols down there

View attachment 19725
My car doesn’t have a USB C there. Only in the rear. In the front there are two USB A slots, one for the infotainment system and the other just a charge slot. That’s on the facelift MG5 Trophy.

My car doesn’t have a USB C there. Only in the rear. In the front there are two USB A slots, one for the infotainment system and the other just a charge slot. That’s on the facelift MG5 Trophy.
Funnily enough, I was talking about the MG4 - after all, this is the MG4 board. ;)

View attachment 19725
True - I was allowing for the possibility that Phase 2 cars might be different. Since both ports clearly do have a data connection to the infotainment system, they could support either port (but then have to resolve connecting to both). Agreed it seems unlikely.

I didn't bother trying USB-C port in my MG4 as I had RTFM first and it said it only USB-A port would work. It's a 23MY, but not phase 2. Will have to try and see what happens.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back