Cold weather range test completed today...on my driving it’s really very good.

We think we have trouble which regen figure to set either 1,2 or 3. I have just been discussing this with a Honda e owner and there are a total of 7 settings. 3 different levels in 1 pedal mode and 4 levels in 2 pedal mode. Decisions decisions lol.

Because of lockdown etc I've only done about 1000 miles this year, but I have recorded the running total of Kws charged. From time to time I have checked the miles/KWh and calculated an average 4.2 to 4.3, and this is very close to the figure shown in the display.

Because of lockdown etc I've only done about 1000 miles this year, but I have recorded the running total of Kws charged. From time to time I have checked the miles/KWh and calculated an average 4.2 to 4.3, and this is very close to the figure shown in the display.
Yes mine average is currently 4.2 miles per KWh, which prior to winter was 4.4 miles

No I haven’t and to be honest would know how to complete such a test anyway.

You'd need to know the battery % at the time of starting any test run (so fine when fully charged, but more tricky on the return trip, due to the MG not showing state of charge unless you plug in or have OVMS).

But lets say Mark is at 55% battery on his return trip (so 42.5 x 0.55 = 23.38kWh remaining) and covers 72.1 miles. He'd also need to know how much is (left when he parks up) in the battery so lets assume 15% for his 38 remaining miles (42.5 x 0.85 = 6.38) then subtract remaining kWh from starting kWh (23.38-6.38) gives you expended kWh = 17 then finally divide range covered (72.1) by expended kWh gives you 4.24 miles per kWh.

That just took me 10 minutes to write down, to show (with a bit of guestimate on Marks % SOC) that his miles per kWh is pretty accurate :rolleyes:

There is a screen in the center display that shows the AMPS in -ve which gives you a good indicator how much charge the KERS is recovering and putting back into the battery pack.
@kompkar
This Amps meter is quite good for charging when stationary but a bit dangerous to use while driving when one's eyes should be on the road.
Personally, I have given up on trying to achieve high efficiencies especially in the cold weather.
At the moment all my charging is free till the new year so my emphasis is on safety and in car comfort. I use the seat warmer as and when and permanently have a low level fan on to keep the in-car conditions as stable as possible and wind screens without mist.
So far as range is concern I have come to terms with the fact that for the average user the ZS EV has the worst range in the electric SUV class so I don't even think about it anymore, I just plan my journeys on the motorways knowing that for every 100 or max 120miles I have to stop and charge and combine that with maximum free destination charging.

@Scriv, @shikoku14
Thanks for your contributions on accuracy of GOM. In the past when I sought to explain that our GOM in the ZS EV is very accurate and how it actually works it was met with racial and dehumanising abuse from some members. I hope that members are getting to know their EV better and better understanding how things work.
Above everything else it is important that members now understand that when the GOM shows 140, 160 or 170 or whatever is shows when fully charge it does not mean that whatever happens the car will travel the 140, 160 or 170 miles before the battery runs out.
@shikoku14, I think it is important that you indicated that the calculations you did are very rough approximations and based on the assumption that the rate of discharge of the battery is linear.
It is important to note that in reality the rate of battery discharge is not linear especially below 20% and above 85% SOC and hence why the need to recharge lights in most EVs with battery size less than 52kWh is set at 20 to 25% SOC.
So the safest way to manage your range is to ensure that within a max of 10miles from when your recharge battery lights come on you dock into a charging station and charge. For the ZS EV this equates rough to 100 to 120 ml of standard motorway driving in summer and 90 to 110miles of motorway driving in winter.

Last edited:
@KasEV

It's rough but gets you close to what you have used up between %A and %B, in reality you could have used more energy as it doesn't account for any energy recovered during regen (if all the mileage is at speed on the motorway, this will be negligible, but it is worth noting). I would hope that the m/kwh calculation the car does takes this into account as well.

The "rate of discharge" as you mention of the battery should be linear, unless I've missed some reasearch on this, and will only vary based on energy amount demanded by the actions of the car user, be it propulsion or recharging the 12V battery as it provides energy demands of the other 12V systems in the car.

A bit off topic but I reckon the speedometer is 10% over reading. When I pass those flashing 30mph signs at 30 on the speedo, the sign says 27.

U
@KasEV

It's rough but gets you close to what you have used up between %A and %B, in reality you could have used more energy as it doesn't account for any energy recovered during regen (if all the mileage is at speed on the motorway, this will be negligible, but it is worth noting). I would hope that the m/kwh calculation the car does takes this into account as well.

The "rate of discharge" as you mention of the battery should be linear, unless I've missed some reasearch on this, and will only vary based on energy amount demanded by the actions of the car user, be it propulsion or recharging the 12V battery as it provides energy demands of the other 12V systems in the car.
Unfortunately,
Battery architecture and the physics of battery building makes discharge rates non linear but that is too high tech stuff for the forum in general.
So going back to range.....
So far as actual true life range testing is concerned, a few EVs were tested in Jan 2020. See "

How Far Can These EVs Go Until They Run Out Of Juice?​

Loading video

Basically all the cars did between 75% to 90% of their advertised WLTP mileage. I wonder how well the ZS EV will do in such real world conditions. My estimate is 130 to 140 miles max.

Screenshot_20201217_140718.jpg

Could not get a functional link to the video and article on range in insideEv but these are the outcomes anyway.
WLTP for ZS EV is 163 miles so if the max 90% is achieved by ZS EV this will be 145 to 147 miles. My advice to ZS EV owners in UK is therefore to consider 130 to 140miles as max achievable in normal UK driving conditions.

A bit off topic but I reckon the speedometer is 10% over reading. When I pass those flashing 30mph signs at 30 on the speedo, the sign says 27.
Hmm... It's probably the signs. I've tested my car against GPS and found it to be exactly accurate even at 70mph, so there should be no discrepancy at 30 at all. I don't think these cars over read.

No I haven’t and to be honest would know how to complete such a test anyway.
Thought it would be relatively simple. At next full charge reset accumulated mileage and then drive, drive, drive. When you’re next ready to charge, fill up to full charge again and take a note of KWh used to fill (smart meter or smart charger will help)

The same with most ICE cars I have had. When I use GPS to measure speed it shows about 4mph less than speedo

Hmm... It's probably the signs. I've tested my car against GPS and found it to be exactly accurate even at 70mph, so there should be no discrepancy at 30 at all. I don't think these cars over read.
I've not fitted my dashcam yet so I've no GPS speed to check it against. But I'll check it again when I do. (y)

I’ve found mine to pretty accurate, more so than a lot of other cars.... speed limit 50mph through motorway rosdwfkd for example, MG Pilot set to 50mph, and aside for the cars speeding, my ZS is one of the fastest! It is within 1mph at 30mph of the digital road signs around my area.

I think this is an "error" added by some car manufacturers, so drivers can´t go faster than speed limits.
If you use Waze it will give you the GPS speed you are travelling it, handy to see how above or below the real limit you are, especially as Mike mentions above in those point to point construction speed zones

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom