Cold weather range test completed today...on my driving it’s really very good.

I guess Autotrader performance figures are using 80% of the full capacity to calculate a realistic usable capacity on an extended journey when multiple Rapid charges are needed.
Ah no...that what they recommend you should only charge too when using a Rapid charge and the BMS system reduces the amount of power that the car can consume to protect the battery at fast speeds and therefore at 80% the throttles back and only accepts power at lower levels and therefore whilst you can sit there on a rapid charger until 100% you lose the advantage of speed as it will probably take the same time as what it did from 0% - 80% to get from 80% - 100% if that makes sense.

Ah no...that what they recommend you should only charge too when using a Rapid charge and the BMS system reduces the amount of power that the car can consume to protect the battery at fast speeds and therefore at 80% the throttles back and only accepts power at lower levels and therefore whilst you can sit there on a rapid charger until 100% you lose the advantage of speed as it will probably take the same time as what it did from 0% - 80% to get from 80% - 100% if that makes sense.
Yes Mark but that is what I'm saying on a long journey you need to balance number of stops against how long you spend at each stop. If it's a meal break stop then yes charge for as long as practical. If it's pee and a coffee break then up to 80% is the optimum. But also remember what Stuart touched on in the last Podcast about Rapid charger etiquette which I think is becoming more important now there are many more EVs on the road and don't overstay beyond 80%. That makes the realistic usable capacity on extended journeys lower than the actual.

Yes Mark but that is what I'm saying on a long journey you need to balance number of stops against how long you spend at each stop. If it's a meal break stop then yes charge for as long as practical. If it's pee and a coffee break then up to 80% is the optimum. But also remember what Stuart touched on in the last Podcast about Rapid charger etiquette which I think is becoming more important now there are many more EVs on the road and don't overstay beyond 80%. That makes the realistic usable capacity on extended journeys lower than the actual.
Yes I get what you are saying now and fully agree.👍

It’s always a good start if they’re working of course!

Hi All,
We just seem to be going round and round with this discussions on range / GOM and not getting anywhere.
I have tried to explain in clear but basic scientific detail how GOM works several times on this platform and also explain why the various assumptions and calculations members have been making are wrong.
Unfortunately my efforts have meet with a similar response as that of those who claim Trump won the American elections. Some claim their GOMs are super natural and give ranges over 200miles and others claiming their GOMs show super low range of below 100miles. Others also have a theory that our Chinese made GOMs are sub-standard quality and are malfunctioning.
It seems no one is willing to accept the basic truth which is that they simply do not know exactly how the GOM works.
Well happy days...... I am sure nothing more can be said on this issue of range/GOM other than to say in the eSUV class the ZS EV has the lowest range of all eSUVs on the market.
In NORMAL driving conditions with in-car conditions appropriate for weather, the average ZS EV will do about 100miles or more in deep winter and about 140miles or more in high summer.
My recommendation is simply enjoy the ZS EV with all it's basic in-car comforts and drive safely within the range your GOM shows. Have confidence in the ZS EV GOM. In my humble opinion our GOM is one of the best on the market.
Although the MG range is not fantastic I think that the way it is predicted is much less misleading than say on a Tesla Model 3. On the Model 3 the mileage shown next to the battery is always based on the figure used to give the vehicle range in tests - this doesn’t change based on history. So, for example - 75kw battery, 4miles/kwhr = range 300miles (less any battery degradation). If 50% battery - range 150miles etc. I’ve simplified the numbers. This is almost never achievable in the real world. On the other hand in the MG the range shown is usually at least a realistic reflection of what is actually achievable based on driving history - which is much more realistic. If the MG followed Tesla it would look like 44.5kw battery, 4miles/kwhr = range 178miles. 50% battery range 89miles etc.
I always zero my mkh and miles every time i charge .i guess it is better to leave it to get a more accurate gom reading ,but which of the two tripmeters should i leave and which should i use for individual journeys

Interesting results. Have you ever reset the accumulated total driving info? I always reset it after every full charge so my GOM may not be that "accurate" like yours.
I have only had my zs for 3 months so hopefully my mpkw will improve when it averages out with the summer months .i have always zero'd my trip meters but i will now leave it to enable a more accurate gom

I have only had my zs for 3 months so hopefully my mpkw will improve when it averages out with the summer months .i have always zero'd my trip meters but i will now leave it to enable a more accurate gom
That raises a very interesting point. What effect does zeroing the trips have on the gom?

Today I thought I’d try a cold weather range test from Essex to Berkshire and back, work trip, positive results are below and photo’s attached (Not in order) as evidence.
Fully charged by 7 KWh charger and potential range shown this morning was... 209 miles in ECO or 199 miles in Normal (No fans active) or 177 miles in ECO or 169 miles in Normal (Fans and heating on).

For the purpose of this test I drove with no fans (seat heaters on) and rear window slightly open to stop any window misting; temp was 9 degrees and in KER’s 1
Outwork trip left with 209 miles and completed 70.7 miles, averaged 4.5 miles per KWh and arrived with 129 miles remaining on the GOM. (Lost 9.3 miles from starting figure) this was a mixture of town driving and motorway at about 60 miles per hour.)

Return trip left with 129 miles and completed 72.1 miles, averaged 4 miles per KWh and arrived with 38 miles remaining on the GOM.
(Lost 18.9 miles from starting figure) again a mixture of town, but mainly motorway with speeds nearer to 65.)

So completed 70.7+ 72.1 = 142.8 plus 38 remaining miles and therefore a potential of 180.8 miles is not bad for this time of the year and shows that you can do much better if you can adjust your driving style.

Your comments and thoughts would be appreciated
I have been posting on my reduced milage. On a full charge,after equalisation which took 4 hours, I get 160 on eco with all accessories off. Also on a 50 mile journey used 70 miles of battery. The car is going in on Tuesday to check and repair. Will report back after work done. I believe others have similar information as dealer seemed to have heard of this problem before.

Guess O Meter. Basically the range remaining according to the car.
reason its a guess is that there are so many factors that can affect it, (weather, temperature, speed, aggressive driving etc) that it should only be used as a guide

I have been posting on my reduced milage. On a full charge,after equalisation which took 4 hours, I get 160 on eco with all accessories off. Also on a 50 mile journey used 70 miles of battery. The car is going in on Tuesday to check and repair. Will report back after work done. I believe others have similar information as dealer seemed to have heard of this problem before.
MG are bringing out an updated BMS immanently for fix equalisation and range and lack of power issues.

That will be the fix.

I like mine just as it is, comfort 2 and nothing else applied. I have no need for charging whilst unlocked. I will ask my dealer not to apply any updates that are not safety related when I take it for it's first service in July. My philosophy is, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". ;)

We will have to see what this upcoming update has to offer . Its suposed to sort it all out .i will wait till a few members have had it done and reviewed it before i take mine in.

@John Arnold
I am 99.5 percent certain that there is absolutely nothing wrong with you ZS EV. The figures that you are quoting are actually average typical numbers for cold weather high speed driving with in car comforts on. Cold weather charging also results in lower range.
Battery charge and range are very sensitive to temperature and as the weather becomes warmer your numbers will improve.
I know some members are claiming over 200miles range winter and summer in normal or eco but I would advise that you don't get too worried about not achieving similar figures because your figures are actually normal expected.
As the weather becomes warmer your numbers will definitely improve. Also always make sure your HVAC is off when you check your mileage. HVAC can reduce range by upto 20miles or more just by being on even if fun is off.

Thanks for your information. However I still think I will have it looked at. At present I achieve 2.8KWH others do get 4.5. I understand your view re temperature etc but want to be sure.

Thanks for your information. However I still think I will have it looked at. At present I achieve 2.8KWH others do get 4.5. I understand your view re temperature etc but want to be sure.
I've not seen a 4 on mine for a while . in mild October i was getting high 3s but now high 2s .i have always cancelled tripmeter at every charge so not really a fair average .i now leave my trip to accumulate so as the weather warms i should get a better average.

I've not seen a 4 on mine for a while . in mild October i was getting high 3s but now high 2s .i have always cancelled tripmeter at every charge so not really a fair average .i now leave my trip to accumulate so as the weather warms i should get a better average.
Just a quick thought do the tripmeters zero after 999?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom