ECU Module version spreadsheet

Yes it was fully charged and equalised with everything off
@Srp111
Hi, if you wouldn't mind, could you grab some more data after another full charge & balance?
(Start without pressing pedal/HV battery not on - Amps should show 0.0 sometimes 0.25)

Looking for the total volts, max cell volt, min cell volt, SOC.

There's something a bit unexpected going on with the SOC, think it's being set based on the max cell voltage rather than total voltage. Only way to see it is on cars like yours that aren't yet balanced.

Wow ok, not using this garage again. Apparently MG technical are working remotely on my car now (which I know means they've messed up something) I also mentioned that they've had it since Wednesday afternoon and I've spent more on taxi fares to and from work over the last 2 days than I've spent on "fuel" for the car since I've had it in September.. I've told them I need it this weekend and I told them I'll be coming to get it today regardless. At which point the guy seemed to panic and said "Oh I wouldn't do that until we tell you it's ready" 🙄😬

Wow ok, not using this garage again. Apparently MG technical are working remotely on my car now (which I know means they've messed up something) I also mentioned that they've had it since Wednesday afternoon and I've spent more on taxi fares to and from work over the last 2 days than I've spent on "fuel" for the car since I've had it in September.. I've told them I need it this weekend and I told them I'll be coming to get it today regardless. At which point the guy seemed to panic and said "Oh I wouldn't do that until we tell you it's ready" 🙄😬
Yikes, name and shame

Does not sound good!
They should just give you another car to use whilst they're messing around with it surely

Just picked it up, told them I work for the NHS and I NEED the car for the weekend, they wanted to know if I wanted to leave the car on the weekend and they'll try again Monday, that wasn't going to happen.
It appears they've done nothing in the 2+ days they had it, the steering wheel click started as soon as I drove out of their carpark, BMS etc was exactly the same as before, Not going to touch them again even though it's walking distance to my home.

Just picked it up, told them I work for the NHS and I NEED the car for the weekend, they wanted to know if I wanted to leave the car on the weekend and they'll try again Monday, that wasn't going to happen.
It appears they've done nothing in the 2+ days they had it, the steering wheel click started as soon as I drove out of their carpark, BMS etc was exactly the same as before, Not going to touch them again even though it's walking distance to my home.
I would be demanding a courtesy car if it was going to be longer than 4 hours, my garage is 25 miles away in the middle of nowhere.

I'll update this top post as more data is provided.

In an attempt to figure out what the different versions of all the software do/cause, we are putting together a list of peoples car ecu versions.
If you have the OBD2 device (currently being looked at in another post) or OVMS, please post your details so that I can update the spreadsheet.
If you could provide as much information as you can think of to explain what version you think you have please, to hopefully enable us to work out what the differences are.

Please add any ideas etc that you have.
(Re-ordered into BMS date order)
View attachment 2205
Date Developed - BMS Description - Version number
25/11/ 2019 (600 R15) - Original BMS is version - 1125600R15
06/01/ 2020 (600 R17) - 12/2019 BMS is version - 0106600R17
03/06/ 2020 (610 R28) - 7/2020 BMS is version - 0603610R28
16/10/ 2020 (620 R40) - Guessing 24/10/2020 BMS is version - 1016620R40 - Need someone with this to check it.
30/12/ 2020 (621 A01) - 15/1/2021 BMS is version - 1230621A01
10/02/ 2021 (622 EU1) - mid 2/2021 BMS is version - 0210622EU1 !!!!!!!!!!!WTF!!!!!!!!!
I've just had first years service and still have the same bsm update which is the oldest in the list!!

Well spotted I'd forgotten about that one.

There's something in the data!
Ignore the 455V cars for now, subset of data sorted by SoC:
View attachment 2207
Srp111's data was with 7Amps of current, so I don't actually think we can use the Max/Min cell voltages or total volts, as we know the volts reduce as current is pulled.

I think there could well be something in it being based on the max cell voltage & not the total voltage:-

The charge does need to stop when the first cell gets to the preset maximum voltage. It can't use the total voltage to determine when the stop charging, as with a very unbalanced set of cells, it could end up putting a cell voltage way higher than in spec.

450v / 108 happens to = 4.1666667
So it makes sense that it stops charging as soon as any cell gets to that value.
Balancing then does it's stuff and alters cells a bit, but not too much as it's small currents and is limited to 10 hours (maybe this is why the balance is time limited to ensure a cell couldn't accidentally end up getting too high)

The SoC is consistent with the max cell voltage in the data, and not consistent with the total voltage.

View attachment 2206
Yes, my readings were after full charge and balancing. The balancing time has gone down to about 90 minutes

Yes, my readings were after full charge and balancing. The balancing time has gone down to about 90 minutes
Thanks.
I just looked at your screen shots again, your voltage on the previous screen was actually 449.75 with 0.0Amps.
Could you grab the data again after your next full charge & balance.
Your balance is pretty quick now then.

I’m surprised that the spreadsheet was designed so that the biggest data set (owners) grows horizontally rather than vertically.
Scrolling vertically is something that people are used to and is compatible with the web.
Scrolling horizontally is neither.
It’s already too wide to fit on a page.

I’m surprised that the spreadsheet was designed so that the biggest data set (owners) grows horizontally rather than vertically.
Scrolling vertically is something that people are used to and is compatible with the web.
Scrolling horizontally is neither.
It’s already too wide to fit on a page.
I know LOL!!!!
I was only expecting to get a few data sets.
I was hoping there would be a way to auto switch it around but no such luck in the mac spreadsheet program, haven't got time to do it manually now!

The spreadsheet has now been changed around - columns vs rows.
Thanks to Tango130 for pointing out how to do it automatically.

I hope it's better like this for y'all

Hi @Jody21.
Not sure if the info I am sending is of any use to you at all, but right now in Wales our travelling is very restricted.
Therefore, we are not covering a lot of mileage and even less charging / balancing.
Today I have performed a charge / balance from about 90 miles remaining on the GOM.
Charge commenced at around 9.30am and completed to 100% at around 1.30pm ish.
I then let the car continue into the balance process.
It completed in full and "Clunked Out" the wall box at around 5.30pm.
So, the balancing is still taking anything between 3.30 and 4.00 hours to complete.
After receiving the 15.01 BMS update I have only managed a fully charge & balance about 6 times in total.
The previous balance took a similar time of around 3.30 hours.
I will include an image of the dash display, of what the car reports.
No pressure applied to the footbrake, first push of the "Start" button only brings the radio into life.
Second push of the "Start" button ( no foot on the brake ) boots up the dash panel.
Doing this, brings up the orange H.V. warning & the red 12 volt batter warning of course, both are cleared when the car is fully booted with the foot brake pressure is applied of course.
Both trip meters are display all "Zero's".
I was a little shocked to see that the voltage is now reporting a steady 450 Volts !.
Nothing to get TOO excited about I know, but usually it indicates 448 - 449 Volts.
As you can see, the car is in "Default" mode of normal and level 3 Regen.
Predicted range is 161 miles in this drive mode setting.
When I collected the car after the BMS update in Jan 21 - The figures where almost the same.
The voltage briefly flashed to 450 Volts, but steady at 449 Volts.
Predicted mileage on the GOM was 162 miles if my memory serves me well.
The car is always parked on the drive and therefore fully exposed to the elements.
Today is very windy and cold.
Interested to hear your thought on what you see ( if anything ) or from my observations.
The car appears to drive and perform as well as it did prior to the update, but as I sure you understand, it is really hard to get a better picture over a longer drive due to travel restrictions.
Do I have any concerns ?.
Yeah - Just the length of time it takes to perform the balancing process really ?.
I am fairly sure it did not take that long on the original OEM 456 volt software.
A more sensible time feels more like 1 to 2 hour Max I.M.H.O.

Thanks.

Voltage Report 2021-03-13 at 18.38.39.png

Hi @Jody21.
Not sure if the info I am sending is of any use to you at all, but right now in Wales our travelling is very restricted.
That's right - the orange multiple battery symbol with line through is it saying the HV battery is not on. Red single battery light saying 12v battery in use.
From memory, when using the obd2 I think you only need 1 press to enable that to work.

It doesn't take much for it not to show exactly 450.0V, that's why I bore everyone so much saying to not fully turn the car on LOL!
FYI, it always rounds down the voltage that it displays on the dash.

I do tend to find if I look pretty soon after charging/balancing, with a trip reset, I do usually see on N3 163miles. On one occasion I didn't look until about 20hours after it was unplugged and I was down to 449v and 162miles.

You must be pretty damn balanced to get 450V displayed too, so it doesn't indicate any unbalanced cell issues.

I haven't got anywhere regarding how long it tries to balance for and what the cut off is for it deciding it's done enough, that's a very hard one to work out/capture data for.

That's right - the orange multiple battery symbol with line through is it saying the HV battery is not on. Red single battery light saying 12v battery in use.
From memory, when using the obd2 I think you only need 1 press to enable that to work.

It doesn't take much for it not to show exactly 450.0V, that's why I bore everyone so much saying to not fully turn the car on LOL!
FYI, it always rounds down the voltage that it displays on the dash.

I do tend to find if I look pretty soon after charging/balancing, with a trip reset, I do usually see on N3 163miles. On one occasion I didn't look until about 20hours after it was unplugged and I was down to 449v and 162miles.

You must be pretty damn balanced to get 450V displayed too, so it doesn't indicate any unbalanced cell issues.

I haven't got anywhere regarding how long it tries to balance for and what the cut off is for it deciding it's done enough, that's a very hard one to work out/capture data for.
Thanks a lot for your feed back.
I do not have the OBD reader sorry.
Miles did say that the car will only attempt to balance for a max of 10 hours, after this it just gives up the until the next time !.
It would be interesting to hear from other owners on how long it has taken in numbers of charge / balance cycles, it has taken to get the balance time reduced to a reasonable level.
Plus, what do we think that actual figure should be ( in time of course ) at the end of the day.
e.g. - Did they start with a balance charge time of 8 hours, that has slowly reduced by approx 30 mins each time perform a charge / balance ?.
This would give owners an idea of just how long it is likely to take until the balance time has been brought down to more expected level, given the size of the pack.
I guess the problem here is that this going to vary a lot depending on the level of imbalance of pack of course.
A bit of a "How long is a piece of string" question really ?.

Fully charged and balanced on granny charger

From 64% 105 miles took 8 hours and left to balance (not sure how long it took)

Car is ZS EV Exclusive
Purchased and collected 23rd December 2020.
Comfort2 done
Bad BMS done and can charge unlocked
Mode animations on dash
New January BMS update done on 1st February 21

Previously given firmware screenshots

Today's fully charged no load
Fully SOC 93%

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-03-14-10-52-24.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-14-10-52-24.png
    180.4 KB · Views: 157
  • Screenshot_2021-03-14-10-52-07.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-14-10-52-07.png
    157.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Screenshot_2021-03-14-10-51-57.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-14-10-51-57.png
    155.7 KB · Views: 158
  • Screenshot_2021-03-14-10-51-18.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-14-10-51-18.png
    178.7 KB · Views: 149
  • Screenshot_2021-03-14-10-52-51.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-14-10-52-51.png
    195.6 KB · Views: 130
  • Screenshot_2021-03-14-10-52-45.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-14-10-52-45.png
    198.6 KB · Views: 150
Fully charged and balanced on granny charger

From 64% 105 miles took 8 hours and left to balance (not sure how long it took)

Car is ZS EV Exclusive
Purchased and collected 23rd December 2020.
Comfort2 done
Bad BMS done and can charge unlocked
Mode animations on dash
New January BMS update done on 1st February 21

Previously given firmware screenshots

Today's fully charged no load
Fully SOC 93%
I'd guess you're not quite totally balanced, very close. 0.021 difference is very slightly higher than what you can get it to.

Have I said this before, how did you get the fancy graphics on your car only bought in Dec 2020?!?!

I'd guess you're not quite totally balanced, very close. 0.021 difference is very slightly higher than what you can get it to.

Have I said this before, how did you get the fancy graphics on your car only bought in Dec 2020?!?!
I assume you mean as per photo

Attachments

• 20210314_153711.jpg
    20210314_153711.jpg
    627.2 KB · Views: 132
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom