ECU Module version spreadsheet

Oh dear!
I assume you're running ver 1.2.1
Could be the obd2 gadget maybe that you've got, maybe the android device....
Ver 1.2.1, yes. I don't have another Android device to try it out on. It might be the OBD device. I have no idea. Use the info if you can.

Ver 1.2.1, yes. I don't have another Android device to try it out on. It might be the OBD device. I have no idea. Use the info if you can.
I've got practically all of the data from your screen shots, spreadsheet updated.

You and @JohnG are the only people with that version of the EPS.
I'm guessing it's because you both have the battery heater option?

Heres my screenshots after a full balance charge at work. Lights off brake light off in park, no hvac etc.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210310-194108.png
    Screenshot_20210310-194108.png
    737.3 KB · Views: 148
  • Screenshot_20210310-194120.png
    Screenshot_20210310-194120.png
    432.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Screenshot_20210310-194125.png
    Screenshot_20210310-194125.png
    357.8 KB · Views: 151
  • Screenshot_20210310-194131.png
    Screenshot_20210310-194131.png
    360.1 KB · Views: 157
Heres my screenshots after a full balance charge at work. Lights off brake light off in park, no hvac etc.
That is VERY odd.
You have the new jan bms with the new 450V max charge, which everyone fully charged tops out at 93ish% SOC.
But you have 93.5%SoC with only 443.0Volts.
That makes no sense??????
Will think more in the morning...

That is VERY odd.
You have the new jan bms with the new 450V max charge, which everyone fully charged tops out at 93ish% SOC.
The imbalance caused by the buggy BMS didn't affect the SoC or the recorded dash charge percentage.

Onced fully balance although the range will return to normal-ish and total voltage will increase to 449, however the SoC will remain at 93.5% in this car.

The imbalance caused by the buggy BMS didn't affect the SoC or the recorded dash charge percentage.

Onced fully balance although the range will return to normal-ish and total voltage will increase to 449, however the SoC will remain at 93.5% in this car.
I don't understand why the SoC would be at max, it should be based on what the total voltage is on the discharge curve.

Well this is going well (not really) garage have had the car since yesterday afternoon and it won't be ready today (I think) they were querying where I got my information from and they sounded like they didn't even know where to get this information from MG.. I told them to just plug it in and search for updates. I'll give them a little leeway at the moment as they are only just Turned into an MG garage, but still.. maybe I should have just said give me the laptop and I'll do it 🤣

That is VERY odd.
I'll update when its finally up to spec. Shouldn't be long, seems to be 1v improvement every 3 days now. I am only charging at work and it gets a full balance (advantage of 10hr shift :( )

Your still quite imbalanced.
Need several cycles to get upto 449V
Yeah I had the bugged BMS loading in August when I had the rear window replaced due to wiper scratching. I was driving it daily (45mile round trip) and by January 28th when it got the fix It was down to under half the battery capacity (40% power at 50% charge). Literally had to charge it at home and at work. It had 1 bar left when it didn't charge at home one night.

I don't understand why the SoC would be at max, it should be based on what the total voltage is on the discharge curve.
Don't know why or how the car calculates SoC... But from observation, it is what it is.

Yeah I had the bugged BMS loading in August when I had the rear window replaced due to wiper scratching. I was driving it daily (45mile round trip) and by January 28th when it got the fix It was down to under half the battery capacity (40% power at 50% charge). Literally had to charge it at home and at work. It had 1 bar left when it didn't charge at home one night.
I thinks it's awful in the UK we have to do the cycles to get the range up and in European countries they do it for you until it's only a little left and loan you a car.

Don't know why or how the car calculates SoC... But from observation, it is what it is.
I've not noticed anyone else have the same data, have you?
(captured the SoC data, with fixed BMS but battery voltage not yet recovered).

I'm thinking it could be, that the SoC is based on the highest voltage cell pack rather than total voltage, seems a bit of an incorrect way of calculating it though.
Could it be that as soon as a single cell pack hits a certain voltage threshold, that is what it considers to be at the "configured fully charged state" and it stops the charge & sets the SoC to the configured "full amount allowed". Then it goes and does whatever balancing it can do - which may result in the total voltage going up slightly (and maybe the SoC going up slightly too)....
I'll try staring at the data we have!

Well this is going well (not really) garage have had the car since yesterday afternoon and it won't be ready today (I think) they were querying where I got my information from and they sounded like they didn't even know where to get this information from MG.. I told them to just plug it in and search for updates. I'll give them a little leeway at the moment as they are only just Turned into an MG garage, but still.. maybe I should have just said give me the laptop and I'll do it 🤣
That's crazy!
In a way I'd expect them to be properly clued up as they must've have all only recently had their training if only just opened as an MG garage.

You don't have the major problematic bms, but you do have the slightly faulty one with the long balance times, so they really should update it.

When you go to pick it up, tell them you'll just run your diagnostics first before you take it home to check they've done the update!!!!!

I've not noticed anyone else have the same data, have you?
(captured the SoC data, with fixed BMS but battery voltage not yet recovered).
Yep Srp111 's data was unbalanced too with a 442 voltage with a 93.5% SoC
Link

Last edited:
That's crazy!
In a way I'd expect them to be properly clued up as they must've have all only recently had their training if only just opened as an MG garage.

You don't have the major problematic bms, but you do have the slightly faulty one with the long balance times, so they really should update it.

When you go to pick it up, tell them you'll just run your diagnostics first before you take it home to check they've done the update!!!!!
I'll certainly be doing it to make sure! They told me earlier they couldn't do the updates as the MG website was down (which is entirely possible I suppose) however they did look at the unrelated to software issue of the "clicky" steering wheel like I asked.. so at least they actually managed to do "something" haha

Yep Srp111 's data was unbalanced too with a 442 voltage with a 93.5% SoC
Link
Well spotted I'd forgotten about that one.

There's something in the data!
Ignore the 455V cars for now, subset of data sorted by SoC:
1615497279274.png

Srp111's data was with 7Amps of current, so I don't actually think we can use the Max/Min cell voltages or total volts, as we know the volts reduce as current is pulled.

I think there could well be something in it being based on the max cell voltage & not the total voltage:-

The charge does need to stop when the first cell gets to the preset maximum voltage. It can't use the total voltage to determine when the stop charging, as with a very unbalanced set of cells, it could end up putting a cell voltage way higher than in spec.

450v / 108 happens to = 4.1666667
So it makes sense that it stops charging as soon as any cell gets to that value.
Balancing then does it's stuff and alters cells a bit, but not too much as it's small currents and is limited to 10 hours (maybe this is why the balance is time limited to ensure a cell couldn't accidentally end up getting too high)

The SoC is consistent with the max cell voltage in the data, and not consistent with the total voltage.

1615496735998.png

do you want me to resubmit as my indicated voltage increases?
hopefully It will be back to a fully balanced state end of this month.

do you want me to resubmit as my indicated voltage increases?
hopefully It will be back to a fully balanced state end of this month.
Hi, yes please the more data you can get the more we can get an understanding of what’s going on.
If you can keep a track of: total volts, min cell volt, max cell volt, SOC.
After full charge, under no load, that would be brilliant.
I make a note of it each time I charge now :)

If I can catch it next time, I’m going to disconnect mine as soon as it’s finished charging and before it balances, to see what the figures are then.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom