• We have updated MGEVs and introduced rules for using our Classifieds forums. For more information, please click here.

Deal Agreed Facelift MG ZS EV Long Range - Exclusive Forum Offer!

That’s only one of the reasons. 😜 Have to admit it is a bit disappointing that they couldn’t put a heat pump in.
It's a £1k option on an already expensive enyaq, and is only available on higher trim levels on many other cars. For the price I think the ZS is a good deal, tbh most of the time heated seats are enough. personally, i only blast the heating on every now and again to demist. I miss a heated steering wheel more than a heat pump.

Heat pumps are great but cost quite a bit, they were initially used to help cars with poor range, but now cars are getting bigger batteries as well as more efficient so better range and also now there's more and more fast charging points are available, they're less essential and I'd rather save £1000 than have a heat pump which is not really essential for the majority of journeys that are well below the cars range. Our other car has a heat pump, but it's far less efficient than the MG, I did 400 miles in it on Thur and it averaged between 2-2.5 miles/kW.

I guess as I currently drive an ev with a small range I get anxious every time I touch the AC button…perhaps clouding my judgement 🤔

I guess as I currently drive an ev with a small range I get anxious every time I touch the AC button…perhaps clouding my judgement 🤔
I think AC works just like a heat pump, i.e. it uses a compressor and special gas to suck heat out of the car to make it cooler but an AC unit works only in one direction, a heat pump works just like AC but can also go in either direction so can also suck heat from outside and put it insode the car. I imagine AC is roughly around the same efficientcy as a heatpump when making the car cold, it's just AC can't make the car hot, so instead withotu a heat pump the car uses a more basic heater element instead of a heatpump (AC in reverse) to heat the car up. It's just unfortunate that an EV car becomes less efficient in cold weather anyway before you turn a heatpump or old fashioned heater on to heat the car.

hey - quick question. I thought there was no heat pump on the new zs but a dealer told me that despite it not being in any of the material there is a heat pump. Is that correct?
I guess technically it does since an AC is a Heat Pump but not in the sense that you were asking about ie to "Heat" the Car rather than to "Cool" the car. Suggest your dealer goes back to product training or at least rereads his own sales literature as I can assure you if it did have a Heat Pump the MG would make a big point about listing it as a feature don't you think?

I'm getting very different stories about the seat in the New ZS. Depending upon which dealer you visit/speak to the seats are exactly the same as the original ZS (barring the contrast stitching) or they are improved with an additional layer of memory foam. Which is it @MilesperkWh ?

So Jack's review sums up how I was feeling about the new ZS to be honest and I think he's persuaded me!

Thanks, @r45kal for that and an interesting take on the New ZS from Jack who is super tall and not representative of your average car buyer I'd hazard to guess. I think Jacks comments on space are about as representative of reality as Robert Llewelyn's disgraceful demonstration of plugging in a CCS charger in his review of the original ZS EV. I've owned min for nearly 2 years and have never ever once had any issue in removing the bungs and just sticking the CCS plug vaguely in the general direction under the flap and the plug finds its own way. And as for the charade about putting the bungs back in again you'd have thought he'd never done it before with a CCS socket! He made such a fuss about it, putting the AC bung in First and then hammering in the DC bung with his fist when ALL cars using bungs for their CCS use the same system whereby the more frequently used Larger Round AC bung partially covers the smaller oval DC bung and Robert knew that full well but had to find something to blow out of all proportion for dramatic effect. that was the turning point for me for trust in the Fully Charged reviews.

You don't need a VIN number, the car's manual is freely available on the MG UK website.. https://www.mg.co.uk/sites/default/files/2021-11/New MG ZS EV Owner Manual.pdf
I haven't seen the infotainment guide online though.
Thanks for the link Alan. I've downloaded the Handbook/Manual and its interesting that the illustrations used in a couple of places don't match the new car ie page 115 the middle rear headrest isn't included
1638975354209.png

and on page 253 the front drawing is of the original ZS while the rear drawing is of the original trial lights but new rear splitter.

1638975210092.png

Thanks, @r45kal for that and an interesting take on the New ZS from Jack who is super tall and not representative of your average car buyer I'd hazard to guess. I think Jacks comments on space are about as representative of reality as Robert Llewelyn's disgraceful demonstration of plugging in a CCS charger in his review of the original ZS EV. I've owned min for nearly 2 years and have never ever once had any issue in removing the bungs and just sticking the CCS plug vaguely in the general direction under the flap and the plug finds its own way. And as for the charade about putting the bungs back in again you'd have thought he'd never done it before with a CCS socket! He made such a fuss about it, putting the AC bung in First and then hammering in the DC bung with his fist when ALL cars using bungs for their CCS use the same system whereby the more frequently used Larger Round AC bung partially covers the smaller oval DC bung and Robert knew that full well but had to find something to blow out of all proportion for dramatic effect. that was the turning point for me for trust in the Fully Charged reviews.
to be fair he does point out his ridiculous height!

Yes, I know but he used his height to emphasise it as an inadequacy of the car which could leave people to believe it would be too cramped without giving it a try.
It's why although I watch these more professional channels for general information and entertainment purposes I wouldn't trust them with my buying decisions. FC is one of the better ones but still too much nonsensical drama as mentioned. thankfully Robert has kept away from politics of late.

James and kate, planet auto, etc are much more informative and don't just churn out press release info and pro-legacy car maker spin.

I found the review interesting and will say that I found the same thing on the ZS Exclusive (I'm 6'3"). I even discounted the car based on this. I decided to take a second look a month later at which point the dealer only had an Excite left... This felt much better.

I've not had another chance to sit in an exclusive (or the new trophy) but have ordered the trophy. I'm hoping that my initial impression of the exclusive was just because I hadn't adjusted the seats properly or was comparing too much to the MG 5 which I also tested... But I'll try and get to a dealer soon to sit in the trophy.

If there is a huge difference then it can only be down to the additional motors and heating elements in the trophy.

If it's bad, I may have to drop down to the SE which would be a huge shame.

Ideally, could do with someone who has access to either an Excite and Exclusive or the SE and Trophy getting a tape measure out and physically measuring the difference lol

If there is a huge difference then it can only be down to the additional motors and heating elements in the trophy.
We have the Exclusive model Gen1.
And if I drop the electric drivers seat right down, it is very close to the height of the manual passengers seat.
So I don’t think the electric motor in the drivers seat make much difference to be fair.
The head lining in the exclusive must be slightly lower, to accommodate the sun roof mechanism.

It wasn't the headroom that was a problem for me... It was the height from the floor... Felt higher in the exclusive and less leg room between steering wheel.
Ah right ok, could be something to do with the electric seat then? Perhaps its a little higher to accommodate the electrics?

Hopefully, the next time around (rather than this mid-cycle refresh) the ZS will be EV only and on a new skateboard platform and will have a significantly improved packaging AKA as Hyundai have with IONIQ 6 without having to design for an ICE or Hybrid variant.

Hopefully, the next time around (rather than this mid-cycle refresh) the ZS will be EV only and on a new skateboard platform and will have a significantly improved packaging AKA as Hyundai have with IONIQ 6 without having to design for an ICE or Hybrid variant.
just as long as the price doesn't increase the same way Hyundai/Kia increased theirs. Otherwise, the only value option will ironically end up being a Tesla.

Apologies if already asked and answered elsewhere. I have placed an order for the trophy with the Chorley group. I was speaking to one of the sales team and they mentioned that it is possible to upgrade a trophy to the trophy connect by paying the £500. I have been under the impression that whilst that might be possible i the future, it isn’t the case at present. Can @MilesperkWh confirm or refute this please.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom