• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Has anyone on here hardwired in a dashcam to the MG5 yet?

Thanks - I was thinking of going to Halfords to see what they've got but that looks pretty similar to what I already have, so I'll have another go and be a bit more forceful! The kit I have has an inline box which I guess includes a fuse but I'm not sure...

Dunno why I made such hard work of it, it went in straight away this time. I ran the cable round the edge and it all fitted a treat (except after I'd finished I realised that side panel isn't quite sitting tight at the bottom so I'll whip it off again sometime - looked like I may have bent the peg a bit - but it doesn't really notice).

It's a great improvement, thanks all for help and advice :)

Last edited:
Has anyone on here hardwired in a dashcam to the MG5 yet and if so, any issues, which fuse(s) did you use etc.?

It seems the fuse box is on the driver side - I've previously fitted dashcams to my wife's Fiesta and then to her new Zoe and in both cases they were on the passenger side and easily accessible behind the glove box with convenient earth points too. The MG5 looks a bit trickier.

Looking at the manual, I'm planning to use fuse F2 for the switched supply to the cam but also need a permanently powered one for the parking / bump sensor - haven't yet worked out anything suitable so may have to experiment.
I had one installed by MG dealership. Cost me about £370 including parts and labour for both front and back cameras and it was all done professionally without any hanging cables

I had one fitted by Halfords at the weekend.
At first he thought all fuses were live but he did find one that was ok.
I'm afraid that's the extent of my knowledge as installation took a couple of hours and on a cold day I left him to it.
My mileage is a lot less than it used to be so I opted for the cheap and cheerful Halfords top of the range own brand.
Due to a curious pricing policy it's cheaper to have front and rear cameras rather than front only - at £109 fitted they were £30 or so cheaper than having just the front.
One problem with the rear camera is it tends to affect the radio reception particularly Digital. I was aware of this and may just remove the rear camera connection so it's just a visual deterrent -it's still worked out cheaper!
Halfords tend to have mixed reviews for installation but Havant branch have hard wired 3 cars for me and I've always been impressed.
likewise Johncc, not skilled enough to personally try it and always found Halfords to be professional locally so - they hardwired my dashcam in my 5 in no time

I must say I didn't think I was skilled enough but I have it a go and it's fine, really pretty easy - and neat as well, if I may say! :)

If going for a rear camera getting it through and into the tailgate is fiddly and time consuming without the right tools, front main unit is indeed straightforward. Access to the fuse box is not immediately obvious as trying to do it through the dash end panel is not how a workshop would do it.

I did the front and rear mostly just using my fingers, and the odd bit of help from a plastic spatula thing. I don't recall it being particularly tricky, and I was ready to bail if it became beyond my limited capabilities - but it didn't! :)

I have a set of CK Cable Rods and they made the job much easier.

I think in my case what made it harder was the cable for the rear camera was terminated with a USB Mini B plug. The rubber conduit between the tailgate and the body is not that big gettting the larger plug body through needed a bit of care.

Probably of more importance when running through the roof lining is making sure the cable was well clear of the curtain airbags. The force they deploy at means its is probably not going to be an issue but the last thing I want is anything snagging them as they come out.

Fitted and hardwired dash cam in new Trophy today. I read previous posts which were helpful in accessing fuse box. Used fuse no1 . Why is the fuse box so inaccessible? Took about an hour with the knowledge from this forum. Thanks

Will fit the rear camera later when weather is warmer. I need to make a standoff to be able to mount rear camera to the roof lining so I don't need to take wire through rear door boot.

The end panel is more to get access to remove the two screws not to access the fuse box. The real access to the fuse box is by removing the under dash trim panel, it just takes a little confidence to give it the pull the panel needs to remove it.

Having said that my other vehicle is a Discovery 3 (for towing) and the cabin fuse box is about a foot behind the glove box on the firewall.

Snap, I have a Disco 2 bought new in 2001. Fuse box easy in them Built to do a job then on a chassis so everything accessible . Just guzzle fuel but need it as i have to go off road and pull trailer with digger on occasionally.

Has anyone on here hardwired in a dashcam to the MG5 yet and if so, any issues, which fuse(s) did you use etc.?

It seems the fuse box is on the driver side - I've previously fitted dashcams to my wife's Fiesta and then to her new Zoe and in both cases they were on the passenger side and easily accessible behind the glove box with convenient earth points too. The MG5 looks a bit trickier.

Looking at the manual, I'm planning to use fuse F2 for the switched supply to the cam but also need a permanently powered one for the parking / bump sensor - haven't yet worked out anything suitable so may have to experiment.
Unbolt the two 8mm bolts holding the fuse box and twist it round,to veiw fuses,be careful as the big cable is a exposed 12volt perm live so best disconnect 12volt battery,25 and 38are empty fuse holes with a perm live terminal in each,take a feed off one of these but put a 10amp fuse in line

If you are using "add-a-fuse" adaptors then go for the electric seat fuses. The seats work even with ignition off and the is no ECU monitoring to get confused by extra loads.

Is it not possible to tap into the wiring for the rear view mirror? This would mean a lot shorter wiring run than going all the way back to the fusebox. Has anybody looked into this?

For anyone buying a Viofo dash cam direct from Viofo UK:

For my 2022 MG5 - (I went for the A139 2k Dual Front and Rear) If you order fuse taps with your order, go for the ones they call "ATS". I checked the fuse type in my MG5 fuse box and found they were what most people call MINI. So I ordered the ones described as MINI on the Viofo UK website. Turns out those are a low profile connection that I found (grrr!) doesn't fit the MG5 socket. I couldn't find anywhere else on the web describing this MINI size as ATS, but maybe I didn't look for long enough. Anyway, I contacted Viofo and they responded quickly and agreed to send the correct fuse taps on the understanding that I send the unsuitable ones back to them.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom