Have you got any rust on your MG ZS EV?

Have you got any visible rust on your MG ZS EV?

• Yes

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • No

Votes: 49 89.1%

• Total voters
Whilst washing my 16month old ZS EV on Friday I noticed a mark on the front middle of the roof. On closer investigation I saw it was a rust spot. Looks like from under the paint. Took it down to the dealer and I am waiting on response from MG
It does not look like a something that has been caused by a stone chip.
Very interesting to see what is under that blister that’s for sure !.
I would be mortified to discovery that on my car !.
It looks like perforation rust from the back of the panel, but difficult to say really.
The volcano affect on the paint blister is very concerning.
Thanks for sharing and keep us posted please.

So - the latest update. I emailed and spoke with my MG dealer and was told that the service manager would call me back. 2 days on - no call. Ok - I chased today and got a call back. They have all pics etc. I was told - quite bluntly in fact - that MG or the dealer would not even look at what they called ‘surface rust’ like this - not even interested in inspecting the car as they said this is normal as far as they are concerned.

So - the latest update. I emailed and spoke with my MG dealer and was told that the service manager would call me back. 2 days on - no call. Ok - I chased today and got a call back. They have all pics etc. I was told - quite bluntly in fact - that MG or the dealer would not even look at what they called ‘surface rust’ like this - not even interested in inspecting the car as they said this is normal as far as they are concerned.
unbelievable ! I think I would consider emailing MG and saying that you are going to the press with their response, telling everyone that MG expects their cars to rust as normal.

That is poor, it may have been "normal" for a 70s Leyland/MG car but not for a modern galvanised one.
They're probably saying it's a stone chip, which is hard for you to prove otherwise, unless you want to take it to a professional bodywork engineer, which is probably not worth the time, effort and money.
It may be worth trying another dealer if there's one near enough. If they say the same then I'd get it scraped off and touched up ASAP to prevent it spreading.

thanks for your comments. I’ve spoken and emailed MG customer services. They also have the pics. I’ll see what they say directly. I guess that I’m most surprised that the dealer didn’t even want to take look - very dismissive actually.

Hi, can I ask why people are stating the car is galvanised ? Is there details of this somewhere ?

I didn’t think that it was - but I’m sure others will have a better insight.

Dat is raar, ik vraag me af waar de roestvlek vandaan komt.

Dat is slecht, het was misschien "normaal" voor een Leyland / MG-auto uit de jaren 70, maar niet voor een moderne gegalvaniseerde auto.
Ze zeggen waarschijnlijk dat het een steenslag is, wat moeilijk voor je is om het tegendeel te bewijzen, tenzij je het naar een professionele carrosserie-ingenieur wilt brengen, wat de tijd, moeite en geld waarschijnlijk niet waard is.
Het kan de moeite waard zijn om een andere dealer te proberen als er een dichtbij genoeg is. Als ze hetzelfde zeggen, zou ik het zo snel mogelijk laten afschrapen en bijwerken om te voorkomen dat het zich verspreidt.

Hi, can I ask why people are stating the car is galvanised ? Is there details of this somewhere ?
Good question ,,i think IT

is not galvanised

It’s all too easy to become quite negative when reading through this stuff ☹️

Well, I had the wheels off this week for a spring clean and I was surprised how little rust the suspension was showing and I live by the coast. Also I only have one bung at the front of the floor, the other holes are open. Again no signs of rust. Where there are signs are mainly around the front crash bar.
I have been regularly rinsing the underside since I bought the car, especially after a drive in rain during winter, so maybe this helps?

For those interested there’s another thread about a gadget to wash the underside of the car here Underbody car cleaner gadget

I started looking at these, however had concerns about the pressure washer pressure. So I opted for a hose attached lance and went for this extendable one from B&M for £8. Works a treat and as it's extendable it gives great reach for underbody cleaning
🤞
🤞
🤞

Well, I had the wheels off this week for a spring clean and I was surprised how little rust the suspension was showing and I live by the coast. Also I only have one bung at the front of the floor, the other holes are open. Again no signs of rust. Where there are signs are mainly around the front crash bar.
I have been regularly rinsing the underside since I bought the car, especially after a drive in rain during winter, so maybe this helps?
I’m pleased that your car looks ok. I think usage has a major impact. I’m not sure how many miles or what usage for you but I use my car in all weathers and it has been through 1 winter on salted roads as is normal and covered 5000 miles so far.

A simple poll for existing MG ZS EV owners to gauge whether rust is a real problem or not. Please cast your vote.
If you have got some rust, please post details and photos of your car. Ideally including when it was manufactured and delivered as if this is an issue at all, it might be limited to certain batches.
Thanks
Dec '19 model in Pimlico Blue. Posted already on Rusty ZS EV forum. Noticed this on Friday after washing car.

Attachments

• 20210409_161547.jpg
    20210409_161547.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 196
  • Screenshot_20210413-100539_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210413-100539_Gallery.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 174
No not a sign of rust anywhere, I snow foamed the car today & polished it, I even cleaned under the bonnet & the paintwork is perfect.
Even snow foamed the mower :D (y)

2TGRGU1l.jpg

TjArVZ8l.jpg

looks very nice, same colour as mine......I like to see a clean "engine bay". (whats snow foam?)View attachment 2873

It's an attachment you use with your power washer, Just makes cleaning the car a bit more interesting (y) I'm using red cherry with wax, just leave it on for a few minutes or brush it in if it's really dirty then power wash it off. I've also got apple & orange with wax too, Smells really nice :love:
Here's a short vid of someone using it.

No not a sign of rust anywhere, I snow foamed the car today & polished it, I even cleaned under the bonnet & the paintwork is perfect.
Even snow foamed the mower :D (y)

2TGRGU1l.jpg

TjArVZ8l.jpg
Well done on the clean, it looks splendid. As for the rust, if you do have any you won't see it from the top or on any painted surfaces (odd rare unfortunate case aside) it lurks underneath at the edges of the underbody structure on the parts that are only finished in thin primer dip!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom