Keyless start? Anyone got it working?

Hey everyone, I toke my car into glyn hopkin and it said it was due 8 system software updates (this can only be done in store) and your phone doesn’t notify you when it needs software update maybe that could be the reasoning? I’m gonna try my new digital key tomorrow and see if it works but I reckon it will to be honest

Hey everyone, I toke my car into glyn hopkin and it said it was due 8 system software updates (this can only be done in store) and your phone doesn’t notify you when it needs software update maybe that could be the reasoning? I’m gonna try my new digital key tomorrow and see if it works but I reckon it will to be honest
Wow, Glyn Hopkin are actually bothering to install updates now?

I initially had a lot of issues getting it to connect. I finally solved it but might be different for you if you use ios phone. I have Android and once I realised that both Bluetooth and location services both need to be on did it then connect each and every time. Seems at least on Android it needs location services on to connect. Also check the location setting in the ismart app as some people have found this to cause issue if not set to your location in the world. Main ismart app screen, top left, looks like a set of headphones symbol

Wow, Glyn Hopkin are actually bothering to install updates now?
Well I went in there because my high beam was turning on during the day and when it was barely even dark people were really annoyed at me for blinding them so I told Glyn Hopkin off and they booked it in and did all the software updates it has since stopped blinding people since lol

Hey everyone so I have it a try today and it said the same for me smart key not detected but I just whacked it in drive mode and off I went the screen came on as soon as I put it in drive and away into the sunset I was 😂
Could you possibly record this? Please 🙏

I initially had a lot of issues getting it to connect. I finally solved it but might be different for you if you use ios phone. I have Android and once I realised that both Bluetooth and location services both need to be on did it then connect each and every time. Seems at least on Android it needs location services on to connect. Also check the location setting in the ismart app as some people have found this to cause issue if not set to your location in the world. Main ismart app screen, top left, looks like a set of headphones symbol
I can get mine to connect fine. I can even unlock the car with the Bluetooth key (in the Keyless menu, not the app home screen menu) it just says "key not detected" as soon as I sit down and press the brake pedal.

Have you tried pressing the Start button on the DK screen, and then pressing the brake pedal?

Hey everyone so I have it a try today and it said the same for me smart key not detected but I just whacked it in drive mode and off I went the screen came on as soon as I put it in drive and away into the sunset I was 😂
Same here. I always got the "smart key not detected" message but was able to drive anyway.

For Yorkshire Hillbilly, I compared my iSmart app settings on my Android 11 Moto g(8) with yours: mine only has location and camera.

In my Settings/Connected Devices the contact preferences are ' Bluetooth, Android Auto '.

Now you might be able to help here; I have 3 MG Bluetooth recent connections listed but each has a different Bluetooth address. I know nothing about Bluetooth but I would have thought there would be only 1 for the car. Could each function - locking/unlocking, phone, DK - have a different address?

Edit: the MG Bluetooth connections above have settings covering Phone, Media Audio and Contact Sharing. The latter is Off on one connection but On in the next.

I'm pretty sure the digital key uses a different Bluetooth connection, I think it uses LE, which does not require pairing

It always used to work for me (SE SR, even though the original model specs didn't list this feature) ... I'll have to try it again now I've got the updated car software and the updated app. :)

Tried this last night however, it didn't work.
  1. Opened the app
  2. Unlocked the car using DK
  3. Pressed Keyless Start
  4. Sat in the driver's seat
  5. Pressed the brake and turned the drive selector
Nothing happened, I just got the usual messages "Smart Key Not Detected" and "Put Key To Manual-Start Position"

OK - test done.

I got close enough to the car for Bluetooth to connect, then unlocked the car via Digital Key (DK).
I spent a couple of mins swiping the windows (with the driver's door closed) so the Infotainment screen closed down.
I got in the car and got a message of Digital Key Not Detected.
I used the DK to "start" the car and then pressed the foot brake - the screens came up and the driver screen showed READY.
I went for a drive along the end of the street and back - all OK.
I then used the DK to lock the car.

So my testing shows that the SE SR supports the DK and you can unlock, get in and drive away - all without having a physical key with you.
I wonder how many people who will use this will get locked out of their house 😂

just tried and it worked for me, although I'm not sure ill use it again.
The sequence that worked was;
Unlock car from initial screen, get in this then shows smart key not detected.
Select digital key management , then My CarKey, this gets you to the digital key screen.
once it shows connected select keyless start and off you go.
I found I had to lock the car from this screen as the main screen lock asked me to make sure the car was powered off.
All in all a bit of a faff really.

Tried this last night however, it didn't work.
  1. Opened the app
  2. Unlocked the car using DK
  3. Pressed Keyless Start
  4. Sat in the driver's seat
  5. Pressed the brake and turned the drive selector
Nothing happened, I just got the usual messages "Smart Key Not Detected" and "Put Key To Manual-Start Position"
Mine is exactly the same as yours. My garage raised this with MG about a month ago but not heard anything yet.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back