Lane Assist Trying To Kill Me!

A couple or road makings in my local area that make the LKA throw a hissy fit, and probably would confuse any logic driven lane keeping system.

No bike overtaking when approaching an island, for the car to keep in lane logic dictates it must drive over the island or breathe in like the Harry Potter double decker.

A white line for a driveway coupled with a dashed line for parking at the side of the road and add an extra line for a cycle lane.
What speed limit are these roads?

I must be one of the few that LKA doesn't try to run off the road.
I'm another of the few... I've had my Trophy for about 4 months now, and although the LKA is a bit tedious with all its beeping, the slight twitches of the wheel are never scary. I have everything on default, and don't spend several minutes at start up, switching things off.

Me too. I've driven it on B-roads mostly and apart from the odd twitch haven't noticed its presence. When I switch it off before setting out it's more because of what others have said.
I'm another of the few... I've had my Trophy for about 4 months now, and although the LKA is a bit tedious with all its beeping, the slight twitches of the wheel are never scary. I have everything on default, and don't spend several minutes at start up, switching things off.

Putting my deerstalker on.....
From the photo it's Gardiner Terrace. Anon70 is from Scotland and looking on Google maps there is a choice of two, one in Edinburgh the other in Prestonpans and switching to satellite view it's the latter. Then in street view and moving to the beginning of the road to check the speed limit I find it's 30mph.
As LKA doesn't kick in until 37mph he must have been speeding 😁

Putting my deerstalker on.....
From the photo it's Gardiner Terrace. Anon70 is from Scotland and looking on Google maps there is a choice of two, one in Edinburgh the other in Prestonpans and switching to satellite view it's the latter. Then in street view and moving to the beginning of the road to check the speed limit I find it's 30mph.
As LKA doesn't kick in until 37mph he must have been speeding 😁
Nice work inspector! whilst the road may be 30mph, it does show a cynical ploy of the road planners to use cyclists as mobile dispensable speed restrictors, the pavements on either side are wide enough to accommodate a cycle lane plus pedestrian usage, a wider central island would restrict the road width and give better protection for people crossing the road. From a MG4 perspective if there was a cyclist at that pinch point would emergency braking kick in?

Nice work inspector! whilst the road may be 30mph, it does show a cynical ploy of the road planners to use cyclists as mobile dispensable speed restrictors, the pavements on either side are wide enough to accommodate a cycle lane plus pedestrian usage, a wider central island would restrict the road width and give better protection for people crossing the road. From a MG4 perspective if there was a cyclist at that pinch point would emergency braking kick in?
But that is not relevant for ELK/LKA as long as you do not switch lanes, is it?
Of course I wouldn't ask you to drive faster, but I would like to know if this is typically too confusing for the LKA systems te handle..🤭

By asking if the LKA gets confused implies that it has some intelligence, its software algorithms either trigger a response or don,t so they are on/off , if parameters from the camera dictate so. If there is any confusion its in the programming or the drivers over expectations of a system which many find , at the moment immature.

Some are 20mph and some 30mph

By asking if the LKA gets confused implies that it has some intelligence, its software algorithms either trigger a response or don,t so they are on/off , if parameters from the camera dictate so. If there is any confusion its in the programming or the drivers over expectations of a system which many find , at the moment immature.
It will if course be rule based and have a software coded method of prioritising one logic path over another. When the car sensors have a choice of more than a single line to either side of the car whoever codes the system must provide a systematic and sensible way for the car to respond in a safe way.

When the car sensors have a choice of more than a single line to either side of the car whoever codes the system must provide a systematic and sensible way for the car to respond in a safe way.
Since it's only an "assist" function, not "full self lane keeping", it can just give up, not make any corrections, and turn the indicator yellow to alert the driver that it's not assisting at the present moment.

That's how it works in my ZS EV.

I’m certain the front number plate covers up half the sensor /camera MG4 SE SR
I was cleaning mine and felt all way behind it and up.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back