-do you disable LKA completely?
-do you change the default LKA mode?
-do you use towing mode ?

This would be an extra question worth asking the owners:
At the start of a drive,
-do you disable LKA completely?
-do you change the default LKA mode?
-do you use towing mode ?
I use towing mode for permanent removal. It also disables front collision which is also crap.

My dealer told me that that had hundreds of LKA complaints, that's honestly quite amazing. I think MG will lose more buyers because of the LKA than buyers they gain because of the star rating.
Yes, I believe it is the most complained about feature of all manufacturers that have it on by default in their latest cars.

Then MG make it a pain to turn off to boot. Bad move.

I know others have said the same (I'm lucky as it all defaults to off on all my cars with LKA) - but can this be over ridden with a sticker on the upper windscreen? - I do know that the ACC is driven by the radar in the front bumper, but steering is in the upper window?

LKA uses both the camera and the radar. You can disable it by using a sticker over the camera. I don't know if this disables the sign recognition too.

I use towing mode for permanent removal. It also disables front collision which is also crap.

LKA uses both the camera and the radar. You can disable it by using a sticker over the camera. I don't know if this disables the sign recognition too.
Are we serious? So now we are going to solve a 'consumer and safety complaint' with a sticker....??
This reminds of Dad's Army.

Are we serious? So now we are going to solve a 'consumer and safety complaint' with a sticker....??
This reminds of Dad's Army.
How should we solve it then? NCAP said that they have spoken to MG, and that a software update is avaliable. Who got this update? None as far as I know. Last time I asked my dealer, they didn't even have this update. And when my dealer have recieved hundreds of LKA complaints, and there's nothing they can do... What should we do?

Depends on the type of roads i shall be driving on. Main roads, dual carriagways and motorways I leave on, rural roads I turn off

How should we solve it then? NCAP said that they have spoken to MG, and that a software update is avaliable. Who got this update? None as far as I know. Last time I asked my dealer, they didn't even have this update. And when my dealer have recieved hundreds of LKA complaints, and there's nothing they can do... What should we do?

It is both NCAP and MG writing our poem. There is no carmaker ignoring NCAP demands. And NCAP is not ready to accept the consequences that what is statistically predicted to up the safetely levels could in fact cause the opposite. Even if they have admitted their doubts. At least in certain circumstances, 'relevant to whom it may concern'.. and MG knows exactly what these circumstances are (RTFM).

I would try to join forces to push some sense into NCAP brains. It seems to be that it isn't brand specific. There is a US research article somewhere showing these issues are not just made up.

Ok. It isn't easy. But if you put a sticker on the camera, do think it is over? Cause NCAP is going into the next phase before you know it. What is your next solution? A bigger sticker?

It is both NCAP and MG writing our poem. There is no carmaker ignoring NCAP demands. And NCAP is not ready to accept the consequences that what is statistically predicted to up the safetely levels could in fact cause the opposite. Even if they have admitted their doubts. At least in certain circumstances, 'relevant to whom it may concern'.. and MG knows exactly what these circumstances are (RTFM).

I would try to join forces to push some sense into NCAP brains. It seems to be that it isn't brand specific. There is a US research article somewhere showing these issues are not just made up.

Ok. It isn't easy. But if you put a sticker on the camera, do think it is over? Cause NCAP is going into the next phase before you know it. What is your next solution? A bigger sticker?
If you cause a fatality and the crash investigators find you have disabled cameras be prepared to either go to prison or fork out thousands in damages to the deceased relatives.

I must be one of the few that LKA doesn't try to run off the road. I leave it on and drive down country lanes with and without white lines and fast main roads and all I get is the occasional beep and a slight twitch of the steering wheel.

I have also found if I make a definite turn of the steering wheel, even only a very small amount, instead of a gentle drift, there is little or no interference by the LKA

The car hasn't been back to the dealers since I collected it at the end of March last year so hasn't had any software updates.

Under MG Pilot the settings are:
Drive assist system - Cruise control
Mode select - ACC
Traffic sign recognition - On
LKA - On
Assist mode - Emergency lane keeping
Alert sensitivity - Low
Audible warning - On
Vibration reminder - Off

These settings are remembered by the car.

I turn mine off as I have on every car with it . It is not difficult, yes a one push button is easier but it's not really such a problem to turn it off.

If you cause a fatality and the crash investigators find you have disabled cameras be prepared to either go to prison or fork out thousands in damages to the deceased relatives.
There have been reports that condensation over the camera stops it working for a while , if there is an accident like imagined by Chequers then who is liable, god , you , MG , NCAP.

A couple or road makings in my local area that make the LKA throw a hissy fit, and probably would confuse any logic driven lane keeping system.

No bike overtaking when approaching an island, for the car to keep in lane logic dictates it must drive over the island or breathe in like the Harry Potter double decker.

A white line for a driveway coupled with a dashed line for parking at the side of the road and add an extra line for a cycle lane.

Attachments

• blike makings and island.png
    blike makings and island.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 38
  • bike lane.png
    bike lane.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
Is this mixed type of lining and road characteristics typical for the following : "Sometimes poor road surfaces, certain road structures or objects may be mistaken for lane lines." ??

Because if so, MG tells us you must immediately disable the lane assist system.

Last edited:
Is this mixed type of lining similar to what MG states in the manual ? : "The lane assist system does not always recognise the lane lines. Sometimes poor road surfaces, certain road structures or objects may be mistaken for lane lines."
But rather than try to keep you within the lines the system should really auto disable when overwhelmed or confused and resume functioning when parameters are within what it can cope with.

As stated in my previous posts, the simple, safe and NCAP compliant solution would be
to have a voice comand to disable LKA. This would only require a single press on the of
the Voice Button on the steering wheel and the voice comand itself with confrmation if
necessary. All without taking hands off the wheel.

As stated in my previous posts, the simple, safe and NCAP compliant solution would be
to have a voice comand to disable LKA. This would only require a single press on the of
the Voice Button on the steering wheel and the voice comand itself with confrmation if
Probably the most sensible solution to date , mind you with the software bugs , "tun off LKA " may be interpreted as "turn off power steering " !!!!!

True. That would be the easiest.
But that would also stress the importance of a correct language module because in my mg pilot the name is different.

Besides, I would prefer to solve it with disabling ELK using a command such as 'switch to lda mode (or to alert mode)'.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back